vinyl is simply awesome.

G

chaps the wife's staying at her mum and dads summer house for the week. and i've been doing some serious listenening.

there is no doubt that a well set up record deck trounces cd by quite a large margin. been compairing the same records with the same cds and the gyro sme combination destroys the arcam cd player by a long way. the music just flows with a joyfull clarity and natrualness. put the cd player on and it's as though it's a different album altogether. all the emotion has gone.

anyone who doubts vinyl as the ultimate source realy needs to hear a well set up deck.

G

rudolph hucker wrote:

chaps the wife's staying at her mum and dads summer house for the week. and i've been doing some serious listenening.there is no doubt that a well set up record deck trounces cd by quite a large margin. been compairing the same records with the same cds and the gyro sme combination destroys the arcam cd player by a long way. the music just flows with a joyfull clarity and natrualness. put the cd player on and it's as though it's a different album altogether. all the emotion has gone.

anyone who doubts vinyl as the ultimate source realy needs to hear a well set up deck.
If you had a decent cd player you could validate that whole diatribe. Have you got a decent cd player rudi.
sleep_1.gif.141171e622ad3ffb8aa5d2f229bd921a.gif

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Rudy - ask yourself this.....how much did the Gyro cost compared to the Arcam?

No wonder the Gyro trounces it.

My Esoteric trounces my Gyro ;)and yes the cd player was more expensive.

Sastusbulbas

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2006
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I still find vinyl has that certain something which CD lacks, maybe its the treble extension, maybe it does carry more musical information and better resolution ? I dont know but there is something about the bass and treble which seem to gain a more organic 3d quality, I am not sure how to put it.

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
even when the cd player and the vinyl system are more evenly matched, vinyl betters CD.

consider

Shanling CDT300 (Omega Drive) v Michell GOrbe/Roksan Artemiz/Goldring Excel VX /WAD Phono II.

both 4k approx value - CD is still pipped to the post.
smile.png

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sastusbulbas wrote:

I still find vinyl has that certain something which CD lacks, maybe its the treble extension, maybe it does carry more musical information and better resolution ? I dont know but there is something about the bass and treble which seem to gain a more organic 3d quality, I am not sure how to put it.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

G

boys i've listened to a few 10k cd players in the past. vinyl to me is still far superior.

but the deck must be synergized with the arm and cartridge. and getting the settings just right is ever so crucial. vta espesialy. anyway off to work now.

boseman

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2005
Here., ,
Maybe vinyl is better than CD, maybe it isn't I don't know.

But I have to agree with Duvet & Papa - if you're going to do a comparism, at least get a decent cd player!
smack.gif.67a6c7204929f2d6a3282863ab29d146.gif

demonell

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2006
Bedford, , United Ki
I used to have a great vinyl set up many years ago, and enjoyed the sound immensely.

I now have a great CD set up and enjoy the sound immensely.

I'm not sure I'd say one is better than the other. They are different for sure. I suspect many vinyl die hardsperceptionis altered by the more touchy feely, romantic, almost sensual nature of vinyl, and that when they talk about a more "natural" or "organic" sound, there is an element of transference going on.

In a way it's a pointless argument, with no objective difinitive answer. As with so many things hi-fi, it all comes down to subjective opinion.Not to say though it's not an interesting topic. Just one we'll never all agree on. Which is no bad thing.

Dan

boseman

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2005
Here., ,
You're very much on the ball, demonell.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

But wait, shock, horror!
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

I've just done a test, too. And I can confirm that CD is better than vinyl!

Ok, I admit that I compared a Wadia cd player with an LP on my grandad's ol' grammaphone... but that's besides the point... the main thing is that CD did sound better.

tease.gif.a6e550ff9c07be38d7cbd4260be35dc9.gif

G

demonell wrote:

Hi Boseman.I think we can all agree that your test is pretty conclusive, and that should be the end of the thread.

Dan
Wanna bet:p

Sastusbulbas

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2006
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree with system synergy, the turntable set up is a little more difficult to get right.

I also feel that some comparisons are a little biased toward CD, and to compair equaly one has to spend an equal amount on the Phono stage as the DAC its compairing to, and if using balanced compair balanced. No point compairing two £5k systems comprising of a £5k cd player against a £4.5k turntable with a £500 phono is there ?

Now if you have a CD transport worth £3k and a Turntable/Arm/Cart worth £3k,

and you have a balanced DAC worth £3k and a balanced (in and out) Phono worth £3k, then it starts getting more competitive.

As most CD players are tuned and R&D'd to get the final result with the components available, it gets a little difficult unless you get a packaged turntable tuned the same way, say an SME 20/SME V or Brinkmann, but most turntables are not tweaked in lab conditions, I think this complicates comparisons.

My own CD set up (Theta Data III into Theta Pro Basic IIIa, with TLC sometimes), was around £7.5k mid 90's, it may not be the best set up, but was quite well regarded in its time, and it still shows a clean pair of heels to many of todays super players (transport in particular) which can sound lightweight and two dimensional by comparison.

My turntable set up, a Gyro SE, with QC , SME IV , XLO reference , Rohmann , Ringmat XLR , Sonic Frontiers SF1 valve phono , is worth what ? around £3800 or so for the turntable ? plus £1100 for the phono ?

Performance wise I am not sure how good my CD front end or Turntable front end are, but they are not set up to compete with each other.

This would be a much better match with a £3k balanced phono stage , (and I wouldnt mind a Chord or Ayre phono), and I am sure an SME or Brinkman set up through a balanced phono stage would upset a few high end CD players.

With my set up I do not have a preference, most older vinyl is better than the CD reissues, and some newer stuff better on the CD player.But both the turntable and CD setups have different virtues, if there were no valves here maybe I would think different ?

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I'm from the side that prefers vinyl.

The amount of evenings I've slapped a record on the Orbe sat and listened and continued to do it until the early hours of the next morning.

However I'm convinced I can get a decent digital playback system - although some of the highly regarded players here are either too expensive or still don't beat the Orbe to my ears to make me fork out the money.

Silly thing is I have a horrible feeling by the time I have saved up the money for a new digital front end - I'll end up with a new cart and phono stage :Not Sure:

I can understand where Rudy is coming from though - Classic's pressing of Led Zep II is simply awesome and gets most listeners to my system pretending to be Bonham.

Vinyl does ROCK

garyi

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2005
, ,
Why did your wife go away for the week? was it the hifi getting in the way?

I too prefer the sound of record, but sold the lot and the deck because I got fedup with the faffing and the worry, much happier for it.

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree that vinyl is really awesome.Records make far, far better frisbees, once the equivalent CD is purchased, although not as good as old 78s, which shatter so beautifully on landing.

Moreover, theymake really good place mats for things that aren't too hot(whereas CDs are really only good for drink coasters). And you can clean them up really well by playing them afterwards - those little styli really do a great job at getting all the food scraps out of the grooves.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
demonell wrote:

I used to have a great vinyl set up many years ago, and enjoyed the sound immensely.I now have a great CD set up and enjoy the sound immensely.

I'm not sure I'd say one is better than the other. They are different for sure. I suspect many vinyl die hardsperceptionis altered by the more touchy feely, romantic, almost sensual nature of vinyl, and that when they talk about a more "natural" or "organic" sound, there is an element of transference going on.

In a way it's a pointless argument, with no objective difinitive answer. As with so many things hi-fi, it all comes down to subjective opinion.Not to say though it's not an interesting topic. Just one we'll never all agree on. Which is no bad thing.

Dan
Sums it up for me quite nicely
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif

From my recent experience with turntables I would say the sound is different not necessarily better!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online