Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Came across one of those "where can i get this done" questions in the local rag, and it was where do i get my vinyl transferred to cd, so i called the number and was fairly shocked at the £25 quoted.

Basically you get up to the 80 minutes on a standard cdr, so you could get up to twomaximum lp's onto one cdr,but if your picky, and only want one lp tp one cdr imo thats a lot of dosh,

I reckon if anyone in the East Midlands want their vinyl sticking onto cd, i could do it for £15, bearing in mind that track marking would have to be done manually, so attendance at the cd recorder is necessary.

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't fully understand why folks want to do this,shop my way sells the latest cds for less than a tenner.

The onlypossibly reasonis if its not out on cd and they hav'nt got a decent t/t set-up,or is it me?

Shakey

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2006
Wallingford, Oxon.
AKA
Gavin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I record my vinyl to play on my iPod in the motor and I'll only make CDs if I'm making a mix for my mates or recording something I only have on vinyl for a mate....wouldn't catch me paying £25!!
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
If people are really recording vinyl to CD to play it as their main format I can't get my head round it. The only reason I can think is that they would record the vinyl is that they only have to play it once thereby precerving the vinyl copy....still mental though, just buy the CD in the 1st place!!

Edited to add: I really should read posts properly, sorry Emma, you actually made a few points I did
icon_redface.gif.eb51a1f92a0314cdfc14dd3cb4473da1.gif

nsherin

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2005
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Shakey wrote:

I record my vinyl to play on my iPod in the motor and I'll only make CDs if I'm making a mix for my mates or recording something I only have on vinyl for a mate....wouldn't catch me paying £25!!
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
If people are really recording vinyl to CD to play it as their main format I can't get my head round it. The only reason I can think is that they would record the vinyl is that they only have to play it once thereby precerving the vinyl copy....still mental though, just buy the CD in the 1st place!!Edited to add: I really should read posts properly, sorry Emma, you actually made a few points I did
Same here - I record vinyl to MiniDisc to use on the move. Might record the odd track onto CD-R if I don't have it in MP3 or CD format and want to use it in a compliation. So as not to have to faff about too much with the PC, I bought a cheap Philips CD-R deck for £50 out of the local paper. Does the job just fine.

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Emma Royd wrote:

Don't fully understand why folks want to do this,shop my way sells the latest cds for less than a tenner.The onlypossibly reasonis if its not out on cd and they hav'nt got a decent t/t set-up,or is it me?
Think youve hit the nail on the head, although point 2 you mention is possibly the main reason.

Shakey

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2006
Wallingford, Oxon.
AKA
Gavin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree, but at £25 a pop though?! You wouldn't want to do too many times. It'd be intersting to know how much trade they do:Not Sure:

paulfromcamden

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 5, 2006
London SE3
AKA
Paul
I've done it myself a fair few times where records are out of print and will be expensive to replace. The transfer might not be audiophile quality (phone stage > PC soundcard) but for everyday listening it's worth it to avoid any costly accidents.

And it's not at all hard to do!
wink.png

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought a phono pre amp from maplins with a usb out to record vinyl to PC and CD.

Cost £75 but you need a fast PC. The results a pretty good though. Sound better than some shop bought CD's.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Many vinyl originals recorded to CDR sonically outperform commercially released equivalent CDs.

Many vinyl albums/songs etc have not yet been released on CD.

Recording on MS Windows (use e.g. maybe CDEX or whatever to convert to compressed format if you choose afterwards...).

This is the best sound-quality method that I have used so far ... once you understand these boring 'instructions', it's a doddle.

N.B If you do not wish to run noisy hard-drive 'Freeview' type recorder, Stereo VCRs with up to 12 hours recording at 'third of speed) are very convenient for 'time-shifting' digital (from cable-box etc) or analogue (maybe with timer on FM tuner/amp..) programmes ...

Audio cassette (etc ......)

Playing DVD in PC (etc....)

Connect cassette (etc ....) m/c to PC e.g. via audio amplification/directly into PC Line in ( you might use preferably e.g. RCA phonos, but probably use RCA phono x 2 from cassette/tape/VCR/amplification etc machine into 3.5 mm stereo jack - N.B. correct left -right output from source ...).

1) Ensure you have Volume control icon on main Tool bar (usually at bottom of screen...) - To do this, go into start menu, (usually bottom left green button ...) Control panel, Sounds and audio devices .... Tick-check little box 'Place icon on ....'.

Select this route into playback/recording ...on Left menu, select Options .. Recording ...

Make sure you have Line in & Stereo mix AT LEAST checked-ticked - you might want to add TV tuner or whatever you've got ... this will get you recording from LINE INPUT & e.g web-site song playing/DVD in PC ....

2) Place shortcut to Sound Recorder on desktop/in start menu - wherever you choose ...

Go into start menu (as before..) - select All Programs - Accessories - Entertainment - Sound Recorder

Make shortcut for this on desktop/in start menu - wherever .....

3) Now you can easily get at the main 2 routes into the Windows best/easiest way of recording at highest quality, without confusion from expensive add-on 'Recording' programs .....

select sound recorder

record (press red button) for the 60 seconds

select save as in left menu ... remember/choose where you're saving file!!!!!!! at this stage, it's best to select format in which you're actually saving your stuff - go for best quality option, which you select by pressing Change button at bottom of sound recorder save thingie ...

now you see top left-ish button - press - select CD quality ... as you see, this will save as 44.100.... 16 bit STERE0 - this will mean your BLANKS you save will always be set up as decent .wav files.

You can always convert to e.g. .mp3 later via e.g. CDEX or MusicMatch (free downloads) etc.

save this file as e.g. 1 (in a place you can find it later!!!!!!)

move sound recorder slider to far right ALWAYS during these processes ...

select 2nd top left menu in sound recorder ... INSERT ...

insert your 1 minute file ... now you have a 2 minute BLANK ... save this as e.g 2 somewhere you can locate later.

As before, insert e.g. file 2 at end - call it e.g. 4 (for minutes) and Save as ...)

Keep doing save as - insert till you've got e.g. BLANKS of different lengths - e.g. 8 minutes/ 16 minutes/32 minutes .... IT TAKES A LITTLE WHILE TO SAVE FILE ON YOUR COMPUTER .... it uses RAM, and if you've got 512k of decent speed stuff you can make up to e.g. about a 32 minute BLANK - enough to record in a side of most LP vinyl/half hour radio programme .... if you have 256k , you'll be limited to about 12 or 16 minute blank ...

.... you can always record a track at a time from e.g. tape/vinyl etc, but I tend to do an LP side and EDIT it later - some basic editing can be carried out via Sound Recorder, or Nero etc wav editor ..

TO RECORD, SELECT YOUR VOLUME CONTROL/(MAKE SURE YOUR E.G. INPUT IS SETUP, IN REALITY AND ON DISPLAY) - go into menu options recording - select usually Line in (or Stereo mix if you're recording from web or DVD in your computer) - do test-recording into a convenient-length BLANK you've made/saved for LEVEL (don't go anywhere near top or bottom of Sound Recorder level display - adjust vertical slider ... you can always Normalize if you want later in e.g. Nero....

If recording LP, usually quickest to open 32 minute blank, record at right level, then SAVE whole 32 minute recording AS e.g. side 1 . When your'e ready to play e.g. side 2 of LP, MAKE SURE sound recorder slider is moved back to LEFT 0 position ... press red button record.... when side etc finished, you can stop - save as e.g side 2. You can chop off beginning/end of file later by reloading it into EMPTY Sound recorder file ...., and saving as ....

Look at menu-options in sound recorder ... insert file-delete before current position - delete after current position are probably most useful ....

Plenty of other commercial programmes available, plus SilentBob as free download ... often the latter records at too high a level, but is great to avoid your having to go through this palaver I worked out for myself in 1996 ... IMHO once you've got your blanks setup/saved, it gives best results...

You might want to check too that e.g. your twin-phono RCA left-right stereo lead into 3.5 mm jack on your computer line in card-thingie actually gets you LEFT on left and vice-versa ---most PC components reverse channels at least once during whole input-recording playback-burning to DVDR-RW-CDRW-CDR stage!!!!!!

It is possible theoretically to improve everything by having quality (sometimes more expensive) equipment-cables-soundcard etc ...

It is quite easy to output line level signals from e.g. amplifier (supplied by any number of inputs ...) into PC.

As has been suggested, 2 RCA phonos out from e.g. amplifier into 3.5mm stereo jack will usually provide adequate e.g. analogue signals into PC for 'recording' to digital formats. (Many people use expensive internal/reasonably priced USB external soundcards with e.g. RCA phono L-R socketry).

Having recorded e.g. vinyl in a similar manner for many years, here are a few 'things' I have discovered.

01 Ensure you have LEFT/RIGHT channels inputted correctly through your PC so your digital-copy/recording does not reverse channels - this IMO extremely obvious point is ignored by most users.

02 Although some people maintain that 'the hostile PC environment' will compromise your recordings, I have found that there is little - if any - significant difference between using very short cabling/long cabling - expensive/not expensive cabling - expensive/not expensive audio components - expensive/not expensive soundcards etc etc.

03 Probably you have worked out how to record into e.g. Windows ... - this will give you your best .WAV 'master', which you can archive on e.g. hard-drives-DVDR-RWs etc-CDRs-CDRW/burn to CD audio discs/convert to different compressed formats later if you wish.

Basic editing (chopping off unwanted noise at beginning/end of 'recordings - maybe 'normalizing' etc) can be carried out on PC via supplied/readily downloadable-purchasable packages, but if you feel need to 'over edit' ORIGINAL SOUND you have recorded to e.g. .WAV, you will probably reduce sound quality permanently.

AUDACITY http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ works well for many.

Freeview often is about 224 kps, DAB 128 kps, FM c. 700 kps ...

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As Chumpy says, or my way..........................................Place album on Thorens deck, cue SME with V15 onto lead in track, press record on my CD recorder, and apart from manualy track marking, sit back and enjoy!

I reckon my way is simpler!
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Davewhityetagain wrote:

Ant wrote:
Chumpy wrote:
Many vinyl originals recorded to CDR sonically outperform commercially released equivalent CDs.
But why not just play the record?
Agree
how many of you take your turntable with you when you go jogging, or for a drive in the car?
wink.png

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
kennyk wrote:

Davewhityetagain wrote:
Ant wrote:
Chumpy wrote:
Agree
how many of you take your turntable with you when you go jogging, or for a drive in the car?
wink.png
But then how relevent is the argument that a Vinyl rip would sound better than a commercial CD?

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ant wrote:

kennyk wrote:
Davewhityetagain wrote:
Ant wrote:
Chumpy wrote:
Agree
wink.png
But then how relevent is the argument that a Vinyl rip would sound better than a commercial CD?
I think that'd depend on the CD in question. I've heard a few CDs that are so bright as to be unlistenable due to poor mastering. the LP is much better, for example.

it's also a case of not lining the pockets of the record company who would really be happy if you had to pay each time you listened to it. as it is I've got fed up of buying the same music twice or more - since that is their argument - you're not buying the music, but the right to listen to it. they want it all ways. see look what you've done. you've got me fired up again.
wink.png

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
there's 101 personal reasons why someone might want to copy their albums.

Archiving is the most obvious...elderly albums, already worn, wont last forever and the cost / copy is only £25 if you ask someone else to do it...It costs me £2.50 per album (300 albums onto £1.50 blanks +1/300 of cost of Yam HD-CDr) actually les than that, since I'll flog the yam for maybe 1/2 price when all's done.

Other reason might be car play, or in my case, living on a boat for a few years in the future. Dont dismiss the reasons...question the rip off costs.

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ant wrote:

Chumpy wrote:
Cos as Chumpy says, the cd magically sounds better, better bass, clearer top, etc. I raised this issue a long while ago, i cant remember the explanation given!

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
icehockeyboy wrote:

Ant wrote:
Chumpy wrote:
Cos as Chumpy says, the cd magically sounds better, better bass, clearer top, etc. I raised this issue a long while ago, i cant remember the explanation given!
I wont re-open the thread then, I've never tried it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles