Vinyl wall paper

Rodney Gold

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2013
Cape Town SA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anything thats shiny and flat will reflect , even if you get a textured wall paper , it will diffuse almost nothing and still reflect.

bonzo

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2013
London
I am not trying to diffuse here, but are you saying textured wall paper will be more reflective than a normal painted wall? Which means in listening rooms we cannot have wall paper?

Rodney Gold

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2013
Cape Town SA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Neither paint or wallpaper will absorb any meaningful Hf/mid content , any hard surface (and walls and walls with wallpaper are hrd surfaces) will act as a reflector, If you put shag pile carpet or rugs on the wall , they will not act as a reflector and will absorb HF

Wall paper is not thick enough and the texturing wont be pronounced enough to do anything meaningful as a room treatment or affect sound that much, tho it is better than lets say , gloss finish paint.

bonzo

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2013
London
At least wallpaper paranoia is a refreshing change from cable paranoia

- - - Updated - - -

It's just that I thought Vinyl wall paper was more reflective than normal ones. That's what my original post was about, but not worded correctly

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
what about telephones and TVs? Years (early 1980s) ago I was once told by someone whose system I went to listen to, that the tiny transducers used in the speakers of telephones and TV sets, would vibrate in sympathy with the music being produced by the HiFi speakers (I think his were fully active Linn Isobariks at the time), and cause audible micro-distortions that would be detrimental to listening experience. The same man also told me he could also detect (with his ears) distortions introduced by the tiny membrane used in digital alarm watches of the era.

Personally with some of the music I listen to, I quite like the distortion created by getting the floor and windows to vibrate! :cool:

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
But....what colour is the wall?

You'll get a 'hot' sound if it's red and a 'cooler' sound if green/blue. White/cream is a bit bland........(-:

AlanB

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 20, 2007
West Midlands
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very dependent on the make of vinyl wallpaper and the make of adhesive used.

Errrrr.......only kidding. :eek:j:

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
I think it's best if the runs of paper can be aligned with magnetic north.

ps. Obviously you have already done this with all the screw heads in your room.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for that Rick, I've ordered my Holey Stone, tube version obviously :rockin:
Git. :x I bought mine before they released the tube version. I bet it sounds....well.....beyond imagination.

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
I think it's best if the runs of paper can be aligned with magnetic north.ps. Obviously you have already done this with all the screw heads in your room.
You are screwed if you haven't taken the local ley lines into account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles