Volume controls - what are you using?

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been looking at an interesting and different kind of volume control - a 10 turn linear pot. Pots are usually log, but with 10 turns it seems that you have good fine control. Plus, linear controls have better tracking. What I have in mind is a 100K Bourns wire-wound pot. Several studio guys on DIY Audio use and recommend this, and they should know a thing or two about sound.

Any interest in this solution? Many users say they leave the volume control roughly in the same place most of the time so 10 turns wouldn't be an issue. But how many people here use the full range of the control a lot?

Bourns wirewound 10 turn.png

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been looking at an interesting and different kind of volume control - a 10 turn linear pot. Pots are usually log, but with 10 turns it seems that you have good fine control. Plus, linear controls have better tracking. What I have in mind is a 100K Bourns wire-wound pot. Several studio guys on DIY Audio use and recommend this, and they should know a thing or two about sound.

Any interest in this solution? Many users say they leave the volume control roughly in the same place most of the time so 10 turns wouldn't be an issue. But how many people here use the full range of the control a lot?

Using same setting on the volume pot is quite difficult if you use different sources especially CD/streamer and vinyl as quite often the difference in overall volume could be quite big , even when using same source there is difference in mastering level but with two additional resistors you can achieve logarithmic operation with not bad deviation , anyway log pots are not ideal anyway .Bit of reading about volume pots for those interested :
https://sound-au.com/project01.htm

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
...... with two additional resistors you can achieve logarithmic operation with not bad deviation , anyway log pots are not ideal anyway .Bit of reading about volume pots for those interested :
https://sound-au.com/project01.htm
Good link. Are you talking about adding 2 log-faking resistors, as described in the link?

You wouldn't do that with a 10-turn pot. Just use it as it is. Very tempted - £40 from Mouser.

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
10 turn pot would give much better accuracy as delta dB/ delta deq is very small but sometimes depending on the source you would have to turn volume pot couple full turns , at that price is worth trying also Burns pots are of very good quality

Shadders

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I'm pretty sure you will get p!ssed off turning the pot multiple times to get the volume right between sources which are different in volume level.

Reactions: mac72

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm pretty sure you will get p!ssed off turning the pot multiple times to get the volume right between sources which are different in volume level.
That's the potential problem. I was thinking it would need a large round knob that you could twirl easily. Not so easy to find a large one.

• Haha
Reactions: Shadders

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles