Wam Show 2023-bad news?

DCS

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 11, 2010
NR Glasgow
AKA
Donny
Has anyone ever thought about a venue in Scotland?

If so, have a look at the Penningham Estat, near Newton Stewart. Plenty space and parking.

PS: I have no connection with the Estate. Just throwing in an option to look at.

https://penninghame.com/

• Love
Reactions: lazycat

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suspect there would be serious issues with insurance and provision of facilities at a 'borrowed' school. Things like pop-up bars may well not be allowed, bringing in electrical equipment that in most cases willl not have up-to-date PAT may also be an issue. Schools and any local authority premises are going to have their own set of rules.

Overall though, the 'no rooms with en-suite' is likely to be the nail in the coffin. The wam event is a lot of 'acceptable inconvenience' for exhibitors, but there is a threshold to the removal of comforts that this would probably cross for many.
We wouldn't be allowed to plug anything in without it passing PAT testing. Surely any school would need a licence to sell alcohol on its premises.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We wouldn't be allowed to plug anything in without it passing PAT testing. Surely any school would need a licence to sell alcohol on its premises.
A school close to where I used to live, leased out one of their houses during summer holiday and it was completely destroyed by a fire. Schools are not set up for events like this.

As I suggested before Universities maybe suitable, the events I attended, the student bar was operating at the low prices, cheap food, rooms were cheap. Only issue maybe room sizes.

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A school close to where I used to live, leased out one of their houses during summer holiday and it was completely destroyed by a fire. Schools are not set up for events like this.

As I suggested before Universities maybe suitable, the events I attended, the student bar was operating at the low prices, cheap food, rooms were cheap. Only issue maybe room sizes.
with 3 kids (only one left at Uni now) I've looked at loads of student accommodation, all tiny

Reactions: rabski and Tony_J

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

All are too small to swing a Nordost interconnect. What they charge international students for a cupboard is amazing.

But we would fit in those large Klipsch no problem. :)

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suspect there would be serious issues with insurance and provision of facilities at a 'borrowed' school. Things like pop-up bars may well not be allowed, bringing in electrical equipment that in most cases willl not have up-to-date PAT may also be an issue. Schools and any local authority premises are going to have their own set of rules.

Overall though, the 'no rooms with en-suite' is likely to be the nail in the coffin. The wam event is a lot of 'acceptable inconvenience' for exhibitors, but there is a threshold to the removal of comforts that this would probably cross for many.
Sixth form pupils all have their own bedrooms. En suite? No I agree, none, but if you can't live with a communal washroom and loo for one night?
Parking? 100 is too small? hahahha Hoiw many did Scalford have? 40?
Oh and the verges. Its on a farm...there will be verges.
All schools will either be already licensed or can orgainise one
the train station is connected (as it was at Scalford) by a bus
blimey you blokes :)

And i picked that School with a pin...there are 20 more who do this

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
erm, there's a reason that we don't use Scalford anymore, do you realise this? Do you know how much the park and ride cost?

If you read the school parking policy you will realise they have access issues, I mean you did read it before commenting further didn't you? Also the bursar hasn't even bothered to call me back so clearly not very keen.

Do feel free to get in your car and drive round your 20 perfect locations and report back on your assessments, also then try to persuade our lady members that sleeping in a dormitory is acceptable (which is what the vast majority of the beds will be).

kind regards,
Paul

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And the issue with Scalford parking plus the park and ride was one of the biggest problems. Those who were there and helping with organising will remember that we originally had arrangements to use the adjacent field, but this was cancelled shortly before, which is what caused the park and ride to be essential (but way, way from ideal).

We normally have 50 or so exhibitors and expect significantly more vistors. 100 parking spaces with access problems is seriously pushing it unless it's a short walk from a station. If anyone knows of a school with an alcohol licence I'd be very surprised, and whilst pop-up bars and similar sort out licensing, this is on the basis of operating on certain premises AFAIK.

As for the 'sharing a dorm'. Call me a pussy if you like, but it would quite possibly be a dealbreaker for me to have to cart some seriously heavy stuff around, stay up half the night, pay for the privelege (willingly) and then have to queue to share a shower and a shitter with 50 or 60 other blokes the following morning before the show. As Paul has also mentioned, I doubt our lady members would be overly impressed either.

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And the issue with Scalford parking plus the park and ride was one of the biggest problems. Those who were there and helping with organising will remember that we originally had arrangements to use the adjacent field, but this was cancelled shortly before, which is what caused the park and ride to be essential (but way, way from ideal).

We normally have 50 or so exhibitors and expect significantly more vistors. 100 parking spaces with access problems is seriously pushing it unless it's a short walk from a station. If anyone knows of a school with an alcohol licence I'd be very surprised, and whilst pop-up bars and similar sort out licensing, this is on the basis of operating on certain premises AFAIK.

As for the 'sharing a dorm'. Call me a pussy if you like, but it would quite possibly be a dealbreaker for me to have to cart some seriously heavy stuff around, stay up half the night, pay for the privelege (willingly) and then have to queue to share a shower and a shitter with 50 or 60 other blokes the following morning before the show. As Paul has also mentioned, I doubt our lady members would be overly impressed either.
You have such a lovely way with words;):sick:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online