Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
West Yorkshire, UK
AKA
Darren
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i thought about this quite a bit in recent weeks. wondering what to go for after my last effort was somewhat under appreciated (you could say hated, but...) in the end i decided i didn't care what you all think, and i'm going for Throwing Copper by Live purely because it's an album that i love. and it's brilliant. end of.

once again, i'm sure it won't win any popularity contests, but i hope at least a couple of you like this one :)

Spotify - https://play.spotify.com/album/3XbMeJ9zrtH806HuHWkZF2?play=true

not sure of other links, sorry.

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting choice. I listened to it in the car only a few weeks ago.

I shall reserve any further comments for the day and will be very interested in what others think :D

Jimmy Moff

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2006
Lancaster (ish)
AKA
Jim
It's a brilliant rock album. Not played it for ages and in fact my copy is in storage so I may have to use grooveshark. Good choice!

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
I quite like it!

Or at least I like the songs that get a bit heavier - they still sound like bits of loads of other bands but not enough to be wholly derivative. And as a bonus there's even a couple of very short moments of disco bass on "White, Discussion", which is nice. So when it gets going tis a decent rock album.

And a whole lot better than Liz Phair :p

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
Well I loved your first choice (I might well have gone with the same one if you hadn't been before me) so I'll give this a listen - though I've never heard of them before.

Just bought a 'like new' CD copy on Amazon - hope it gets here in time.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
well well

On first run through, it's good. It's not my usual thing these days, but it's a well made rock album, and when the moods hits? Why not. Never heard of them before but, good shout. Might even play it again! :shock:

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A mixed bag. It's indie rock, but a bit close to clumsy Nickelback type indie rock in places. Nickleback, The Calling, that sort of feel.

On the other hand, some bits are genuinely good. Track 2 provides the dichotomy in miniature (whatever that might mean...). Clumsy verse, fab chorus (reminding me of 'Life's Rich...' era REM).

For every track 5 (not so good), there's a track 9 (like this). Also like the more rocking track 10.

So a decent album, but a bit too variable in quality for me. Still, an enjoyable listen.

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This album got mahoosive airplay in Australia. Both on mainstream (Austereo) and alternative stations (TripleJ). I was back there for a while in 1994 when this was released and grew to love it. The main tracks played were All Over You, Lightning Crashes, I Alone, and Selling The Drama. #1 in the Australian Album Hit Parade :^

The albums a grower. I dismissed it originally because of the (mostly) poor lyrics. But it just got under my skin. It is redolent of a heavy REM (without the lyrical talent). The album was produced by Jerry Harrison of Talking Heads, so that could explain some of it's 'generic' quality. Lyrically it's poor but the themes CAN be quite different from most rock bands eg. Lightning Crashes tackles still birth, post natal depression, child abduction, and a mother dying during birth, from a casual observer walking through a hospital. Not your usual fodder. Ed Kowalczyk ain't the best singer but he does have energy.

One thing that used to grate was the - soft verse - LOUD CHORUS - soft verse - LOUD CHORUS - LOUD VERSE - EVEN LOUDER CHORUS predictability of some of the tracks. Although the last couple of times I've listened to it, it's become less of an issue.

Oh, and the whistling on Waitress :doh:

I really like this album, even with it's faults. I play it VERY loud and it gives me the power and the energy of the period. I usually follow it with some Pearl Jam or Soundgarden.

M

MJ.

Bit disappointed on first listen, as this really should be my sort of thing. I can see the Nickelback and REM'esque influences and these should have been good.

It just didn't gel with me at all, couldn't get in to any of the songs (couldn't even comment on the lyrics) or the vibe of the album. I just seemed to skate across the surface of the whole album, with no tracks making any sort of an impression on me.

Maybe it was just my frame of mind, so I shall give it another listen but, I don't think an album has had less of an impact on me one way or the other.

atomheartmother

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2012
exeter
AKA
john
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I couldnt get into it at all bit like mj i struggled to latch onto anything that made me wanna listen again. I do struggle with this sort of thing, yet love early rem etc. Not one for me Im afraid

Hayward

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2011
It just didn't gel with me at all, couldn't get in to any of the songs (couldn't even comment on the lyrics) or the vibe of the album. I just seemed to skate across the surface of the whole album, with no tracks making any sort of an impression on me.

Pretty much my feelings too...

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
Decent choice - 90's breakthrough US rock act featuring Ed Kowalczyk on vocals - a bit a of a gobby twat from what I remember in interviews etc and no longer in the band.

I shall be dusting off my vinyl for this one.

For more of the same I would also recomend their follow up albums Secret Samedhi and The Distance to Here

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like it, the singer sounds a bit like Eddie Vedder, shall give it a few more spins :^

Jimmy Moff

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2006
Lancaster (ish)
AKA
Jim
I haven't played this album for years. I liked it when I was in my twenties but my musical taste has broadened since then and I seldom listen to this type of rock music these days but it has been a pleasure rediscovering this album.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online