Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hiromi - Voice

515hXRr6bLL.jpg

After some fairly "safe" choices, I thought it was time to push the boundaries. I have made no secret in my What Are you Listening To.....choices, that I have much love for the former Japanese child prodigy turned Jazz wunderkind who goes by the name Hiromi Uehara. She came to the attention of several Jazz luminaries and got a real break when Stanley Clarke drew her into his sphere.

The album itself isn't her best but is the only one available on Spotyfly. However, it is still fantastic and gives a real taste of her ability to use her prodigious talent to weave an almost Classical feel to the Trio Project. The style moves from an almost Prog sounding "Voice" through to her enterpretation of a Beethoven standard. In fact I think there is as much to attract Proggers as Jazzers.

Well enough of my rambles. I have posted this tonight as I am off the The Land Downunda tomorrow, so I won't be around as much to defend my choice.

Give it a go. I know it will alienate some (many) but hopefully it will introduce a few to some serious Hiromi Love.

Spotify

• Upvote
Reactions: Jimmy Moff

whizzkid

I told you it wasn't important
Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't worry about alienating some of the Wammers, they run to the hills at any sign of music not being warm and cuddly, their loss. Looking forward to this the Japanese are famous for getting "out there".

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Its a good album although 'Another Mind' is my fave I think. She does get a bit quirky on some of her output at times but da girl sure can play.

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Won't alienate me!Particularly like her Sonicbloom band with crazed guitar-whizz David Fiucyzsnki...
I was going to post Time Control which the duck's nuts but not available on that spotty fly thing :^

Vincent52

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2011
North Yorkshire
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good choice Terry. I'm starting to get into Jazz in the Garden, so I expect to like this. Looking forward to giving it a go. :cool:

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm pleased to see a lady. :^ No, I don't mean it like that. :nup: The WAC is male heavy (I was tempted to pick Laura Nyro to address this).

I remember liking the Sonicbloom from a vid on here but was a bit disappointed when I Spotified her and her solo stuff was more polite. Never really listened properly, though.

deggie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2011
edge of birmingham
AKA
keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Nice choice terry..... my album of the year,,,, last year, she is good, so talented on the ivories

have a nice trip down under.......... shame about the bush fires.... keep safe i enjoy your music choice.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Aye, not horrendous. I guess I am just not wired up correctly for jazz because I get zero emotional involvement from it, therefore very rarely play any. That's just a personal thing.

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hiromi - VoiceThe album itself isn't her best but is the only one available on Spotyfly.
This artists could be interesting.... what is her best album to start with? Ta.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bloody stunning actually...went off to listen to the eerily beautiful 'green tea farm' and would appreciate some advice as per alan's post. Which albums to buy first. Cracking discovery, thanks Terry.

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This artists could be interesting.... what is her best album to start with? Ta.
You can't go wrong with Another Mind. I was blown away by both the recording quality and musicianship when I first heard it and it flows better than some of her other albums imo.

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry guys. I have been offline.

Hiromi's albums can be very mellow all the way through to raw and gutsy. Time Control (Hiromi's Sonicbloom) has real energy and is quite fiesty (and some great guitar work). Move is an overall better quality performance than Voice.

I haven't heard any of her albums that I don't like but then I am a Fanboi :^

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can admire her skill, but, to me, it's all a bit dull. Sophisticated and polished but not very exciting songs.

Overall, not the sort of jazz I like.

Does have its moments. Bits of 'Delusion' I like and Bits of 'Temptation' too. But then I lose interest during some of the other bits. Something like 'Delusion' really picks up around 6 minutes and from then on in is lovely.

Yes, it's Beethoven and, yes, she is a very good pianist, but track 9 sounds like swanky dinner jazz.

Too much of this does nothing for me.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I enjoyed the opening couple of tracks and then fell asleep for the rest of it :oops:

Will have to give it another go sometime.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online