Wammer
Wammer
Jun 6, 2007
Toronto
AKA
Kelley
Bongo Fury

zappa__beefheart-bongo_fury.jpg

My favourite Zappa album, bar none. Magic happened whenever FZ and the good Captain combined forces. Classic Mothers lineup as well.

Bruce Fowler on trombone, Napoleon Murphy Brock on tenor sax and lead vocals, Terry Bozzio on drums, Tom Fowler on bass, Denny Walley on slide, George Duke on keyboards, Captain Beefheart on vocals and soprano sax and madness. Thank you very much for coming to the concert tonight. Hope you enjoyed it. Goodnight Austin, Texas, wherever you are!

Now, a very nice Wammer is going to post a Spotify link:)

• Upvote
Reactions: glowingtones

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It's on Spotify, but I don't know how to link it. :oops:

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeah nice one Mike I couldn't find it, its also on Grooveshark but a bit mixed up.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And its here, its listed as Frank Zappa not Zappa/Beefheart/Mothers

Deezer

whizzkid

I told you it wasn't important
Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm in the camp of Zappa produces 10% brilliance and 90% complete and utter crap, so will this change my mind because he has Beefheart to guide him?

Hayward

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2011
I'm in the camp of Zappa produces 10% brilliance and 90% complete and utter crap, so will this change my mind because he has Beefheart to guide him?
I'm kinda with you Dean but with over fifty albums to his name that's a fair amount of brilliance!

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think Zappa is a genius. But amongst the exceptional is a lot of filler. For such a superb talent to fill with shit like, "Dog Breath", "Evelyn, A Modified Dog", "Disco Boy" and "Don't Eat Yellow Snow" just defies belief. I could list more but can't be bothered, you get the idea.

When he's "on it" there are few better. But too much fuckin' about and not enough playin' irks me. I enjoy humour in music but the joke has to be secondary to the music NOT the other way around.

Having said all that, and back to the thread, I like most of this album. I could do without the prose but there you go....

• Upvote
Reactions: Professor Chaos

whizzkid

I told you it wasn't important
Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm kinda with you Dean but with over fifty albums to his name that's a fair amount of brilliance!
If it was all in one place I'd probably buy some of his stuff but you have to sift through the immature codswallop to get there and that's too much effort, but if I did it would be it lot of wasted energy and money on my part that could be put to better use.

G

I've never heard any Zappa.
Check this out, its got some Beefheart, Willy the Pimp, so you'll get an idea what your letting yourself in for...

71yKYJahlpL._SL1111_.jpg

BTW The Staves at The Glee last night were :love:

M

MJ.

Yep, liked it the first time, liking it a lot this time round.

The Captain does seem to bring 'a little' more melody, musicality and order to Mr Z's unbridled madness. Yet it is still anarchic and clever enough to be interesting without being unlistenable, as a fair portion of Mr Z's output is.

What's going on, that's two polar opposite WAC choices in a row that I have really liked ?

I must be getting old :^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles