Wammers Album Club Tuesday 11th June: Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
41d2KqC2YPL._SY450_.jpg

Well after nominating a 2011 release last time round, I thought I'd better go back to 1973 for a biggie this time round.

Forget wrinkled Iggy flogging Car insurance and go back 40 years to mad bad unpredictable completely off his face Iggy - The Stooges fell apart after this.

Often mentioned as a punk forerunner, this was apparently Kurt Cobain's favorite album - it would certainly be amongst my top 10 favorite albums of all time.

It is not however amongst the top 10 recordings of all time - David Bowie handled the original mix, but not the recording, so had to do the best he could with the tapes he was given. So don't worry, your expensive kit isn't broken, its always sounded like this.

If that hasn't had you heading for the exit, then here's a Spotify link.

http://open.spotify.com/album/6mxbG8KrOTZIxlP4gzaliM

Looking forward to hearing what people think.

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Production values open to question, for sure.

Musically, it's a genuine masterpiece. 'Search and Destroy' then 'Gimme Danger'... Surely one of the finest album openings in rock history.

This is something I listen to relatively often. Especially the two tracks above, but a pleasure to listen to again.

atomheartmother

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2012
exeter
AKA
john
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
a bloody good reason to stick on me says especially tonight. I listen to this a fair bit myself especially at work if i want to piss me work mates

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
Production values open to question, for sure. Musically, it's a genuine masterpiece. 'Search and Destroy' then 'Gimme Danger'... Surely one of the finest album openings in rock history.

This is something I listen to relatively often. Especially the two tracks above, but a pleasure to listen to again.
Which mix gets your vote then?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Masterpiece.

My kind of stuff, but brilliant listening whatever your preferences.

Excellent choice. Not the best in recording quality, but who gives a shit. Raw music and the power of music.

As good as it gets on the emotional level.

Superb.

cwarchc

Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2011
Wild west Cumbria
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Awesome choice, I've got an old vinyl copy

As you've already mentioned many times, the recording quality is s**t

But it's fantastic all the same.

The all time best for IGGY in imho

Ohmsey

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 7, 2013
Midlands
AKA
Simon
Excellent choice. Not the best in recording quality, but who gives a shit. Raw music and the power of music.
Got to agree with this.

Iggy wasn't on my radar and now thoroughly enjoying it on spotify :)

Hayward

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2011
One of the best Rock n Roll albums ever made, only topped in my opinion by Funhouse. I have both mixes and I love it which ever way. I listen to this often (have listened to bits today before I saw the thread!) and I have never fallen out of love with it.

• Upvote
Reactions: voiceofthemysterons

crimsondonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2008
One of my top 3 albums, great choice.

I love the quote in Juno where the lead charcater says something like "once you've heard Raw Power everything else just sounds kind of precious"

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
Classic album, terrible sound quality. But then it's rock'n'roll so who cares!

This is one of the 1st LPs I ever bought - back in 1977 and loved it ever since. Doesn't even need Bootsy or Buckethead! Seen him live on a number of occasions, and he got his cock out on most of them...

Still, it's a bit of a cop-out choosing such a seminal album; everybody apart from the most dyed-in-the-wool progists will have heard of it :p

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
One of my top 3 albums, great choice.I love the quote in Juno where the lead charcater says something like "once you've heard Raw Power everything else just sounds kind of precious"
Uh oh :p my kid's 18 months and he's listened to Raw Power a few times today... and currently on second listen of Funhouse (he's cuddled in asleep on my lap for this one though :) )

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
I like the sound of Bowies Raw Power mix but Funhouse sounds REALLY genuinely good. Listening to the 2005 deluxe version on spotify. Turned up loud because it's time to wake up from naptime (he's sleeping through it though :p ).... really great mix that stands up well to blasting :p Tried listening to Iggys RP mix and it's just fucking horrible. Distortion should be on the instruments....not on the mix itself...

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Still, it's a bit of a cop-out choosing such a seminal album; everybody apart from the most dyed-in-the-wool progists will have heard of it :p
:x

As it happens, I have heard OF it. Just not heard it :dunno:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online