JPG

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 26, 2007
Bristol
AKA
James
O%27Death-Broken-Hymns-Limbs-&-Skin.jpg

Really difficult choice, this one. I ended up chosing this one as a) it's not that well known, b) it's a bit different and c) I really enjoy listening to it. I came across this album while listening to Spotify radio, which was basing it's selections on the Les Claypool track Boonville Stomp, which in turn was introduced to me by the (awful) film Pig Hunt. Since then it's been one of my more heavily-layed albums.

o'death are primarily a touring band, and they seem to have kept their live energy in the recording studio; it's certainly an energetic album, and despite the often dark lyrics it tends to lifts my mood. It's not a relaxing listen though, and could be accused of being a bit OTT and monotonous.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/album/7u6xJekYAH5qd9pc6Jfz0o

Grooveshark: http://grooveshark.com/#!/playlist/O+Death+Broken+Hymns+Limbs+And+Skin/34336594

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Me neither! If it's anything like Les or Primus I'll be happy...
Well, I've just had a quick Google, landed on YouTube and it appears to be quite *whisper* folky.

In a delightfully odd way. New one on me, but hope it's all a good as that vid appears to be...

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is one that will have to wait for another day when I is more in the mood. I can see how they are mostly a live band. On record, well, the annoying/relentless/they-use-fiddles factor is pretty high. The YouTube vid above is a nice, slower moment.

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fiddles: check. Banjos: check. Beards: check. Audience of largely drunken students: I imagine that a 'check' too...

odeath_old.jpg

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
Despite the nucuntry looks'n'fiddles'n'all, I'm liking this!

It's like Les Claypool singing over a mix of the Violent Femmes and the Devil solo in the Charlie Daniels Bands' "Devil Went Down to Georgia"! Though there's also a touch of punk Klezmer (especially "Mountain Shifts"), and even a hint of Kurt Weill.

Sounds like they have a sense of humour, which is essential in my book.

Artists who don't tend toward the Mariah Carey school of self-obsession...

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
The bass on the first track definitely brought Primus/Claypool to mind. However, the vocals were fucking irritating and overall pretty screechy and annoying. Will listen again because i was at work and didn't give it much of a chance but first impressions weren't positive. Second impression was that they were wanky hipster cunts so we'll see how the third impression pans out. :p

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
The bloke in the Iron Maiden tshirt is the spitting image of my mate Mike Odd! He's definitely not a wanky hipster cunt, just Odd, hence the name.
In isolation, i probably wouldn't have reached that conclusion but in context....well...jesus fuck, look at that fucking context. :p

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd rate this as not too bad. Can compare certain aspects of their them to other bands but it's decently original overall.

Hipster or not, I reckon this lot are genuine and genuinely enjoy their music. Couldn't find a live vid with their fans to see what they look like, though...

It has a lot of elements of classic American alternative music. A sort of hardcore-ish sound in many places, albeit with fiddles ands banjo. Could have seen this on SST. In fact, I might have bought this back when I was buying that sort of music.

On the one hand, bit relentless and the vocals a bit annoying. On the other hand, nicely original and quite bizarre. Would need to be in the mood to enjoy it. But decent and would be something I might listen to again if I want something a bit bizarre.

M

MJ.

Played this 3 times now, like, like and like :^

Good fun, non pretentious, varied enough and just a bit different.

Quite Serj Tankian vocally with glimpses of SOAD.

If I had to criticise, maybe just a bit screechy but still enjoyable.

M

MJ.

Just listenin' to their back catalogue and I find that Head Home is a better album; less screechy vocals and fiddle and a bit more musically varied :^

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Played this 3 times now,
:notworthy:

nah, joking.

It grew on me actually. At least it sounded different for me, something new with some nice touches. I'd not buy it because it would sit on a shelf, but enjoyed it. Ta! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles