Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

I have decided to re-enter the audio fray after about a 1 year absence (well using a cheap kitchen audio setup). I recently setup a pair of very expensive monoblocks to the little Q Acoustic 2020i's that I have wall mounted in my kitchen, within a good audio listening triangle where I can sit between the speakers, and being driven by a squeezebox which was being used as a preamp. The resulting sound was very surprising, hence why I have decided to get back into the game!

I have been looking at the Wadia 151 and Nuforce dda-100 and they seem very interesting, but should I consider anything else?

My source will be a squeezebox. I would like to keep the SB as it can be controlled from my phone, connects drive to my NAS network, and I can listen to radio 6 on it

And then I just need speakers really. I want something with ultra resolution and holographic imagery, and they must be ok wall mounted, that is my only option?

Budget around £1000 for amp/dac, and another £1000 for speakers.

Cheers and happy xmas Wammers !

Marvt74

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2010
Higher Walton
AKA
Martyn
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A bit left field but something like the Elac Active Monitors fed direct from the squeezebox could work?

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A bit left field but something like the Elac Active Monitors fed direct from the squeezebox could work?
Hi

Wouldn't I need a preamp for that though? The SB isn't supposed to be used as one, the quality degrades as you lower the volume

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Adam A7X ltd edition in sexxxeh piano gloss finish are available @ around £820 same sound as the standard A7X. With the SACD capable wideband A.R.T. ribbon tweeter they would meet your brief of holographic imaging/detail that is not at all ragged. I have F5's in my second system & the larger F7 as my centre channel/dedicated mono speaker in my main setup. The F series are not far off the A series in outright SQ capabilities & could be considered as a kerrching alternative that would also leave plenty in the pot for a whole hunk of nooo toooonage:cool: :stereo: or a subwoofer even if needed/wanted:dunno: :rockin: . All of the Adams have wall mount inserts & all are front ported. The F series also feature a standby feature/auto input sensor so have good greeno credentials......I use this feature with my TEAC ref 300iii DAB/FM tuner as an alarm clock to wake up to 6 Mooozic.

Piccies of A7X & F7 in that order.

102554_p.jpg
96249_p.jpg

I use an Audio-gd NFB 12.1 DAC/Pre/Can amp in my second system with the F5's & it really is pretty good.....with a higher budget their more recent/upmarket offerings look good. A viable alternative would be a C.A. SM6 streamer which has Pre-amp functionality & works a treat with my Syno DS213 NAS. you could mebbe find a use elsewhere in the house for the SBT or move it on easily enough. The C.A. SM6 has a v capable onboard DAC & sounds a treat either streaming from my NAS or listening to internet radio as well as doing DAC honours for other sources.

I believe the digital vol. implementation is properly 'dithered' & doesn't lose 'bits' as it is attenuated.

iquadius

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2011
Bangor NI
AKA
Mike
My source will be a squeezebox.
:^ .... excellent choice (receiver?) .... it will give you a surprisingly good 'digital' out for a dac .... with bags of potential if you are soldering proficient. Mike

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thanks for the suggestions, I hadn't considered active speakers and its interesting that two folks have suggested them...hmmm.

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have a word with Sam, or if you must, Paul at purite north about the Dr Dac Prime, and the Esi actives, sounded really good when I heard them. I'm not sure about wall mounting them though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles