Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the replies in the previous thread about the Copland CD spinner, It is visually unmarked, and appears to function as it should.

It has not had very much use at all, and virtually none in the last few months.

Stupid question 1 -

I have been listening to it for about 2 hours now, is that it in terms of warm up or whatever or is it going to get any better.

Stupid Questions 2- (no war's please just info)

Have any of you Copland users found any preference as to cables for them.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've used some quite esoteric stuff, but settled on VDH (the first and 103.2) as a good general match. Any valve/hybrid kit will be HOT after 30 mins.

Give the sound some time to get used to. IMO, you need to readjust a bit on any new kit, but the fact you're asking must mean that you are hearing major differences? Relax and put on some female vocals for a while:)

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
dudywoxer wrote:

Thanks for the replies in the previous thread about the Copland CD spinner, It is visually unmarked, and appears to function as it should.It has not had very much use at all, and virtually none in the last few months.

Stupid question 1 -

I have been listening to it for about 2 hours now, is that it in terms of warm up or whatever or is it going to get any better.

Stupid Questions 2- (no war's please just info)

Have any of you Copland users found any preference as to cables for them.
Warm up depends on transformers used if its got encapsulated warms up very quick

Older type about an hour.

I have used a couple of Copland players and found Chord cables very good and no need to go silly Cobra 3 and the one above it both very good

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have been listening to female vocals, and it shines on them, down side is when I stick on something with a bit of drive, it doesn't or at least not like the Rega.

I will be playing around with it for a while, and I am NOT going to do a/b tests, blind tests, or any other sort of test. It's just going to sit in my system for a while and I intend to give myself time to adjust to what it does.

Initially it has more Hi Fi in it than the planet, as I said above it very good on female Vocal (or at least Dusty and Christine Collister) Just needs a bit more bite, Ill swap the leads that came with it for the Chords I use on the Rega stuff and see what that does.

mikedefacto

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Liverpool
AKA
Mike
Don't know about CDPs... but my Copland amp takes a little warming up to really get stuck in. As for drive... well there is no shortage of that with mine... excellent sense of rhythm. Obviously though this is a different bit of kit altogether.

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I changed the interconnects over to the Chord Cobra's yesterday, and gave it some 4- 5 hours play time, and it seem's to have sorted some of the bits that are 'missing' for me. It is in many ways a better CD player than the Rega Planet, it has more air and space around the soundstage, and picks the odd little extra out of the mix as well compared to the Planet, and it's certainly more Hi-Fi, the problem with that is that I much prefer to listen to music than listen to Hi Fi.

What it does not do as well is connect to the music, with the planet you have the feeling that the music is all of a piece, being played for your involvement and enjoyment. The Copland on the other hand seems to take the strands and reassemble them into something for you to listen to, but without the soul.

May be as it get's more use and I adjust to what it does well (female vocal- naim CD samplers- plinky plonky Jazz) I can forgive it what it doesn't do.

It may be that the Copland can see me through untill I can afford the Saturn, cos that has the detail retrieval of the Copland and the Drive and timing of the Rega. Time will tell, but I'm not selling the Planet yet.

G

Well at £300 quid you haven't got burned Dudy and its an object lesson in house sounds from various manufacturers. I'd still give it more time and let that Copland ingrain itself some more:dude:

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At £300 I could not see the point in not trying it, and I had heard a number of Copland players in the past. and was well aware of the 'house' sound. One of the coplands had a bit more attack than the others, me being a numpty, forget which one. I don't think it can have been this one. I'll give a month and then decide.

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
00001664.gif.f3a6986ade705efb256520e3dde6edd1.gif
42.gif.6d63386a5269ceda16cdf2e3fe89de81.gif
kaffeetrinker_2.gif.ba76878d555418d609a6f9e8389072ea.gif
:nerd:
wink.png

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
As for I/C: IIRC, Jezzer used KK Sterling 2 `tween his old Copland CDP & his (now my) Krell, with very good results; if Cobra works well, I would think Silver Siren or Chameleon Silver + might be even better (having used all 3 in different combos). That said, for me, moving from Chameleon to Sterling `tween the Expo & the Krell was well worth the price difference.

Happy listening.

Boxer

Dannish

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Basingstoke, , Unite
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Interesting that you have similar expirience as me. Had the 288 for a couple of weeks and initially blown away by the "hifiness"of it but....:Not Sure:. Going to try some Chord Signature speaker cable tomorrow and it will be interesting to see if a £500 cable set is better than my £20 Van Damme:p.

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
andi wrote:

Interesting that you have similar expirience as me. Had the 288 for a couple of weeks and initially blown away by the "hifiness"of it but....:Not Sure:. Going to try some Chord Signature speaker cable tomorrow and it will be interesting to see if a £500 cable set is better than my £20 Van Damme:p.
We must have similar ears (lack of taste?)I have some chord speaker cable, can't remember which at the mo, not likley too really, its stuck in cupboard somewhere and I'm using the 4mm van damme stuff. Which is to be fair better, than the 2.5 mm version (in my system, over my speaker cable runs IMHO an all that)

Dannish

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Basingstoke, , Unite
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
With my lowly Marantz, I could close my eyes and be drawn into the music. Not so with the Copland. I've tried to relax and let go but it ain't happening:(. With Stuff like Kate Bush's Arial its stunning. Female vocal, simple folk and Jazz and its great, better than great but rhythmic rock losses something and can become a little tiresome. Guess you can't have everthing:p:D.

Lawrie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
andi wrote:

With my lowly Marantz, I could close my eyes and be drawn into the music. Not so with the Copland. I've tried to relax and let go but it ain't happening
sad.png
. With Stuff like Kate Bush's Arial its stunning. Female vocal, simple folk and Jazz and its great, better than great but rhythmic rock losses something and can become a little tiresome. Guess you can't have everthing:p:D.
Guys,

I mentioned this trait (harder and more forceful edge) in the other thread about Copland (see below quote). By harder & more forceful, I did not mean brittle. I simply meant that with the wrong amplifier, the Copland CDA-266 can be a hard listen as it appears to throws the details at one butappears forget about the music. However, partner it with a solid state amp like the Primare A30.1 or a good valve amplifier and its faults become its advantages. In terms of cables, don't go overboard. Instead look towards the synergy between the CDA-266 & your amplifier. IMO, cables won't help although you could try Cardas if your belief system is that way inclined.
wink.png

As for the CDA-288, that was not one of Copland's best efforts and I personally think that the CDA-277 that preceeded it was better. Hence the reason Copland brought out the CDA-289 to make-up for the CDA-288's shortcomings. Now here's the rub. If looking at older Coplands, the CDA-266 can be good if partnered well. But if you want good bass, the details and music, then go for the CDA-277 or even better by a good margin, the CDA-289 otherwise you will be making those cable merchants richer that they have any right to be.
smile.png

Lawrie wrote in previous Copland thread:

Also, the 266 has a harder and more forceful edge to its sound than all the other Copland CDPs. So if you do get it, partner carefully but then it all depends on how you like your music. For my tastes, I passed on it after comparing it head to head with the Copland CDA-289. I went on to partner the CDA-289 with the Copland CSA-28 hybrid amp (splendid sounding amplifier) and Sonus Faber Signum speakers
Enjoy the musicâ„¢

Lawrie:D

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
certainly if you fancy passing it on, I might be interested if the timing's right
smile.png

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lawrie wrote:

andi wrote:
With my lowly Marantz, I could close my eyes and be drawn into the music. Not so with the Copland. I've tried to relax and let go but it ain't happening
sad.png
. With Stuff like Kate Bush's Arial its stunning. Female vocal, simple folk and Jazz and its great, better than great but rhythmic rock losses something and can become a little tiresome. Guess you can't have everthing:p:D.
Guys,

I mentioned this trait (harder and more forceful edge) in the other thread about Copland (see below quote). By harder & more forceful, I did not mean brittle. I simply meant that with the wrong amplifier, the Copland CDA-266 can be a hard listen as it appears to throws the details at one butappears forget about the music. However, partner it with a solid state amp like the Primare A30.1 or a good valve amplifier and its faults become its advantages. In terms of cables, don't go overboard. Instead look towards the synergy between the CDA-266 & your amplifier. IMO, cables won't help although you could try Cardas if your belief system is that way inclined.
wink.png

As for the CDA-288, that was not one of Copland's best efforts and I personally think that the CDA-277 that preceeded it was better. Hence the reason Copland brought out the CDA-289 to make-up for the CDA-288's shortcomings. Now here's the rub. If looking at older Coplands, the CDA-266 can be good if partnered well. But if you want good bass, the details and music, then go for the CDA-277 or even better by a good margin, the CDA-289 otherwise you will be making those cable merchants richer that they have any right to be.
smile.png

Lawrie wrote in previous Copland thread:

Also, the 266 has a harder and more forceful edge to its sound than all the other Copland CDPs. So if you do get it, partner carefully but then it all depends on how you like your music. For my tastes, I passed on it after comparing it head to head with the Copland CDA-289. I went on to partner the CDA-289 with the Copland CSA-28 hybrid amp (splendid sounding amplifier) and Sonus Faber Signum speakers
Enjoy the musicâ„¢

If it had a harder and more forceful edge I would be a damm site happier with it than I am. The problem is that rather than having a harder edge, it does not have one. When I started with it with the bundled mains lead and interconnects, and largly unused for the last few months those 'problems' or differences were more apparent than they are now. I have put the chords cobra's in, and a Tacima power cable, which has gone some way to easing the differences.

On some music it is superb, say 20% of my listening, on 40% its more than acceptable, on the other 20% the Rega creams it. So I need to decide which sey of compromises I would rather live with. I will not be changing the amps to match the Copland, if I can not live with its sound then It'll get e-bayed and another one will come in. (given my preferances probably rega or maybe something nameless)

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dudy man, sell the Copland and try and pick up a used Apollo! I'm sure there'll be a few floating around now the Saturn is out and about.

Ah yes, Copland... A fairly 'relaxed' house-sound but my old CDA 823 partnered rather well with(now Boxer's)Krell and Dyn's via the KK Sterling 2's and Chord Co Odyssey's. Did it rock? Not arf... (but I must admit the hifi might have lacked 'bite' for some... horses for courses...)

Lawrie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
dudywoxer wrote:

If it had a harder and more forceful edge I would be a damm site happier with it than I am. The problem is that rather than having a harder edge, it does not have one. When I started with it with the bundled mains lead and interconnects, and largly unused for the last few months those 'problems' or differences were more apparent than they are now. I have put the chords cobra's in, and a Tacima power cable, which has gone some way to easing the differences. On some music it is superb, say 20% of my listening, on 40% its more than acceptable, on the other 20% the Rega creams it. So I need to decide which sey of compromises I would rather live with. I will not be changing the amps to match the Copland, if I can not live with its sound then It'll get e-bayed and another one will come in. (given my preferances probably rega or maybe something nameless)
Dudy,

If your Copland does not have the traits I described, then it has past its sell-by date. My advise to you is to sell it on. Synergy is one of the most underrated things in this hobby. The Copland does not sit well in your system and and does not suit your personal preferences. IMO, no amount of power cords or interconnects will help you.

So once again, sell it on.

Enjoy the musicâ„¢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles