What’s your favourite source in your system?

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I almost said my turntable is my only source, as it has been for many years, this version being a Nottingham Analog Ace Spacedeck with an Analog Instruments Siggwan 12 inch unipivot tonearm, Koetsu Urushi Vermillion cart & BB3 phono stage (I consider all 4 parts integral in a turntable). But, I had to remind myself I have in the past months added a Sony DVP-NS900V QS as a transport with a Jolida Glass FX II valve DAC.
The DAC sounds good but it will never replace the turntable.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Rega Saturn R, gives me a presentation I enjoy.

besides, nothing quite like finding a decent cd in a charity shop for 50p or £1

#notacheapskatehonest
They’re expensive
4 for £1 and occasionally 10 for £1 in my local charity shops ,, I brought hundreds during lock down .. and no boy bands among them
I’ve never paid 50p and would only pay £1 for a piece of vinyl

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I almost said my turntable is my only source, as it has been for many years, this version being a Nottingham Analog Ace Spacedeck with an Analog Instruments Siggwan 12 inch unipivot tonearm, Koetsu Urushi Vermillion cart & BB3 phono stage (I consider all 4 parts integral in a turntable). But, I had to remind myself I have in the past months added a Sony DVP-NS900V QS as a transport with a Jolida Glass FX II valve DAC.
The DAC sounds good but it will never replace the turntable.
I picked up a Sony DVP-NS900V for £20 in silver . Couple of marks on top , a cracking SACD player

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I picked up a Sony DVP-NS900V for £20 in silver . Couple of marks on top , a cracking SACD player
It really is Rod, I too had a silver one bought for similar, which I gave to wizmax for his home cinema set up & picked up a mint black one that still looks brand new for £50 from gumtree. Excellent build quality too.

Reactions: bigrod

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Only one source now since selling my tt and vinyl, 50yrs of memories gone and as Jerry says, "Good Riddance". I've got two dac's, Soekris and XiangSheng, and these can partner my Lumin U2 mini streamer, what more do you need. I don't have the faff of having to decide whether I need an LPS, Clocker, USB to SPDIF converter ect, record cleaner and all the hassle that goes with owning vinyl. Is an all digital system as good as vinyl, if it isn't there's only a gnat's c#ck hair in it.

Last edited:

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Depends on the actual 'source'. In cases where the mastering is pretty much identical and both the LP and CD version of something are produced to get the best from the medium, then the LP tends to be better.

It's a bit of a gamble though. Sometimes the CD is better, and sometimes the streaming version is. Overall though, LP first.
This is similar to me although once I get round to fitting the IO then I am expecting the T/T to win but at retail prices my T/T & Phonostage cost over three times more. But I love my Innuos streamer for discovering new albums and playing via QoBuz it has ‘analogue’ qualities in its playback. I treat my streamer like a day to day car and the T/T like a vintage car for special moments. Works for me.

2010*zuma

Super Wammer
Wammer
Nov 12, 2011
Caerphilly castle
AKA
Young Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am amplifierless, so if I had to pick a fixation it has to be either my audio component Stand or the loudspeakers…can we choose two or am I allowed to bring a third and maybe I could drag my streamer into this..after all I think I’m on my fifth or sixth edition last count of exactly the same model 🤒

Gotta go think I feel an urge for my Pepto-Bismo fix coming on…

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My vinyl and CD sources are lovely, though I seem to be finding myself listening more and more to radio via Beeb Sounds through the telly box thing ! There's such a wealth of amazing stuff tucked away.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My favourite is the source I'm listening to at the time as it depends on my mood What I choose To play.

When I want a really serious listen that requires Vinyl then again a well recorded CD can also be a serious listen too but streaming is less so as I'm usually feeling idle & just want to sit and choose my music.

All three sources give me great pleasure😍so the answer is I don't have a favourite.

Linear

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2022
Lancashire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a pretty decent lp12 and a 2Qute DAC for a while.
But there was no escaping the fact that streaming Qobuz to my DAC sounded better than the TT.
So I sold the lp12. Now its just the DAC for me.

Leeken

Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Wirral
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
CD,still has that magic that a child born in the 70s got when they first seen them on tomorrow’s world,and when they finally saved the money from their first job and got to listen to Atom Heart Mother with no scratches clicks or pops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles