fschmeis

Wammer
Oct 29, 2018
Germany, near FFM
AKA
Frank
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This weekend some people met for something like a “workshop”.

Who attended:
  • @Ben Webster , in former times owning 350s for ½ year, for many years now owning Komris, be-amped with 4 Solos, Preamp and DAC from SPL, 3 re-clocker, LP12
  • @Peter_P , owning Komris with Organik Tuneboxes, 2 x 4200, KSH/3, LP12
  • Klaus (not on this forum), very experienced electric engineer, self-build 2-way speakers, self-build class A mono blocks with 400 Watt – very dynamic system with great enjoyable sound
  • Myself, owning Komris for appr. 11 years (starting with Index, then Katans and later 212s with 2 Sizmiks), Organik Tuneboxes, 4 dynamiked Twins, KSH/3
Why I write this post

I read most of the posts in the Linn owners club in this forum and got many ideas how to improve my system, but post myself very few posts due to lack of time, therefore I want to give something back, means: maybe somebody gets an idea what he can improve further at his music system based on what we experienced and achieved during this weekend.

History and motivation
  • The journey started 1,5 years ago when I visited @Paulssurround in Vancouver and he praised Gaias for loudspeakers, so I purchased two sets of Gaias but never installed them until now.
  • Later I read in this forum about the great improvements Paul and the gang in Vancouver got from the Tranquility Pods, therefore within the Christmas promotion of Synergistic Research I purchased 7 pods but did not yet install them until now.
  • I read about the 360 as the successor of the 350 and asked myself: How do they sound, how do they compare to Komris?
  • I read about the improvements when using the fibre input of the KSH/3.
  • I read recurring opinions against Space Optimization.
Agenda
  • Arrival of Peter Friday afternoon, installation of the Tranquility Pods from Synergistic Research and installation of the ADOT MC02 audiophile grade optical fibre kit (copper to fibre transformer, refer to http://www.admm.uk.com/adot.html) supplied by a Ferrum HYPSOS power supply (according to Peter better then e.g., SBooster) and in conjunction with an ifi LAN Silencer and an ifi DC iPurifier 2
  • Saturday prenoon: Audition of the 360 at a Linn dealer
  • Rest of Saturday: new positioning of Komris, Space Optimization, assess the contribution of the pods
  • Prenoon of Sunday: Decide about the Gaias
The results
  • Audition of the 360s: Ben Webster, Peter and I were attending this audition; the 360s where just running the 4th day, had no Space optimization applied and even during the audition the dealer moved them around, also the room was a little bit boomy and reverberant. To me the 360 showed their potential in terms of spatial sound (I could locate every instrument and the singer very precisely), the music was 100% decoupled from the loudspeakers and the 360 showed huge dynamics including the ability to move large amounts of air – very impressive! They were not (yet) very tuneful and enjoyable which I account to the suboptimal placement and not yet burnt in. I can imagine that these speakers might be able to deliver outstanding sound if burnt in and set up properly …
  • Coming home Klaus joined us. All attendants were seeking and discussing how to improve the performance of my system and it was Klaus who insisted on moving the Komris further away from the back wall – the front of the Komris were something like 85 cm away from the back wall. Klaus and Ben Webster also insisted on switching off Space Optimization.
  • So, we switched off Space Optimization and to move the Komris we remembered the Gaias, so we installed the Gaias (instead of the spikes, which were without skeets directly located on the parquet which is directly glued to the suspended floor) and moved the Komris around what we did for what felt like several hours: we moved them back and forth, much further apart, then again little bit back closer to each other, started with very few toe in, increased toe in significantly. Finally, at 107 cm from front of the Komris to the back wall (22 cm further than before), some cm further apart (mid tweeter to mid tweeter now 258 cm) and a significant toe in of appr. 5 degrees (same as before, we tried less) the sound snapped in: the singer could be localized precisely in the middle, the soundstage opened up, some background instruments went far behind the speakers, everything could be followed better than before, and the room modes (remember: SPACE was switched off) were rather limited (sitting appr. 4 m away from the tweeter).
  • Then we did some testing: SPACE with new parameters (location of speakers, … ), starting with 70% absorption, reducing to 63%, further to 58%, and compared it to Space Optimization switched off. The room modes were really limited due to the existing room treatment and proper positioning of the Komris, so we asked ourselves whether we need Space Optimization at all. Finally, three of us compared blindly: Space Optimization reduced to 0% and Space Optimization switched off. All of us – also Peter and myself who where Space Optimization evangelists before – agreed, that Space Optimization switched off provided the most engaging and easiest to follow tune!
  • As the Tranquility Pods where already running since Friday evening, we decided to have a look at their contribution to the overall result. Klaus (remember: Our electrical engineer) asked how they work, but nobody could explain it in a way which made him believe that they could improve anything to the overall result, even the description on their home page wasn’t clear for an electrical engineer. We heard a track, then cut the connection from the pods to the power supply and the grounding and replayed the same track. WOW – something changed significantly to the bad – the sound became more boring, the hights less crisp, we couldn’t enjoy following the tune as before! Klaus was very very surprised, as this was against everything he expected, he jumped up and had a look at the pods, unfortunately the electronics are potted, so you cannot open the case and have a look what's inside and get an idea how that might work, Klaus said: Whatever those voodoo devices do – it is great and very beneficial!
  • On Sunday just Peter and I remained, we played some bass heavy tracks with the Gaias, then removed them and replayed the tracks. We both agreed that the sound with the Gaias was a little bit smoother, but we also agreed that the sound without the Gaias might be closer to the original, and with the spice located directly on top of the parquet the tune was more attacking, more precise and more engaging.
My personal Key Learnings (others might disagree, others might have different circumstances)
  • Proper room treatment is the basis (before I had 1 second for RT60, refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverberation#Reverberation_time, which could be reduced to 0,5 seconds some years ago)
  • Reduced RT60 in conjunction with proper placement of the Komris allowed us to switch Space Optimization off. I was surprised and to some extend irritated, that Space Optimization switched off is better than Space Optimization at 0% - for me, this is an indication, that Linn should improve the algorithm further and / or work on the parameters for time of flight and so on. I was for many years in the camp of “pro Space Optimization” but definitively changed my mind yesterday.
  • I cannot answer which enhancements (fibre and DOT, pods, placement of Komris, Space Optimization off) accounts for which amount of improvement, nevertheless: The overall end result is just jaw dropping, I never heard my system or any other system sounding so good, it was such a step forward, really in a complete different league! Even tracks I didn’t like (Freddy Quinn, Reinhard Mey, … ) became engaging and enjoyable for me! A holography, always enjoyable and very easy to follow tune!
  • Working and bringing together so many views and worthwhile experiences was key to achieve this large step forward. Compared to what we heard Saturday prenoon: 360 might be better then Komris at the bottom line when set up properly and burnt in, but as long as my Komris perform at this level there is no need to change anything …
There is some work to be done now: Arrange the HYPSOS and DOT on an additional time table (rack), redesign the existing time tables to accommodate the pods, move the movie canvas on the ceiling by 30 cm, wire the fibre through the empty pipe, think about some more room treatment to reduce the small remaining room modes and so on, but most important: ENJOY the music more than ever before! And I heard Peter and Thomas muttering about some homework they have to do on their Komri based systems at home … ;-)

Finally, I want to say THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH to: Peter, Ben Webster, Klaus and Paul! Without the help, expertise, and contribution of everybody mentioned above, this outstanding result would not have been possible.

Last edited:

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you for taking the trouble to share your experiences. These deserve careful consideration. It sounds like your workshop was a productive endeavour.

I am too tired to fully understand particularly the first two key findings and will need to come back tomorrow to read your post again. In the meantime what is RT60? I presume RT stands for Room Treatment.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you Frank for posting this thread. Awesome review.

I am very happy and delighted to read your adventures this past weekend, and note that there were many surprising discoveries for you and the guys, resulting in significant gains in sound quality of your music.

I was very interested in your views on the Organik 360's in comparison to your Komris, as your observations are similar to Newton John's audition of the 360's compared to his Komris with a Klimax DSM/3 Hub, and his 2 Organik Exaktboxes for his 8 Klimax Solos. I note that Newton John also uses Tranquility Pods on his Hub and Organik Exaktboxes, and has his Komris on Isoacoustic Gaias. He prefers his Gaias to spikes, but has a different floor design than yours.

Sounds like you and the guys spent a lot of time placing the speakers and dealing with SO. Glad you were able to reach an ideal position and found optimal sound quality with SO turned off. When I play stereo music I have SO turned completely off now, but need it turned on for playing surround music. This is a far departure from when I was a strong advocate for SO in stereo in the past, for my system. As I improved my system, the need for SO in stereo disappeared.

I am delighted to read that you are finding great results with the Synergistic Research Tranquility Pods, as I am with mine. I don't know how much experimenting you have done with the Tranquility Pods, but I assume you have placed them on your Klimax DSM/3 Hub, your Exaktboxes and each of your Twins? We have found the best placement for the Pods is on the top of your Linn, in the middle of the Linn chassis. However, if you have the room, place the Pods under your Linn chassis, in the middle. I have found there is no room to place the Pods under Klimax boxes because of the non flat bottom.

Owning the Tranquility Pods was just the beginning for me and I have made a number of improvements to my Pods setup that have enhanced performance far beyond what I ever thought possible. I started with 4 Tranquility Pods in December and took advantage of the special promotion. These were placed on top of my Klimax DSM/3 Hub, my Exakt Box 6, my Environmental Potentials wave form correction device as well as my OPPO 203. One of the guys here supplied me with much better DC cables to power my Pods than supplied by Synergistic Research, as well as far better grounding cables with 4mm banana connectors at each end, for daisy chaining.

The next step for improving the Pods even more, was to buy a 24 volt Linear Power Supply which has 2 24 volt DC outputs to power the Pods. The Tranquility Pods require a minimum of 0.5 amps, and using higher amp output works well, so my linear power supply is 24 volts 3 amps.

Then in April, Synergistic Research released their new Tranquility Pod Carbon model, which works even better than the original. I bought a single new Tranquility Pod Carbon and placed it on top of the Klimax DSM/3 Hub, while moving the original Pod to place on top of my Bonn NX switch. This was a spectacular improvement in sound quality.

If you are looking for further upgrades for your Linn system, replacing your power cords with Cardas Clear Beyond will be a stunning improvement. Even better if you can place a Cardas Clear Beyond XL to power your Hub and your Exaktboxes. Clear Beyond's on your Twins would be another level again.

I have also upgraded all my Ethernet cables network last year to Cardas Clear.

The last major improvement to my system this year happened when I introduced a Synergistic Research Active Grounding Block SE to ground all of my Linn components, including the Tranquility Pods. The Active Grounding Block incorporates some of the technology from the Pods into its design, and was a seriously major improvement in sound quality.

Glad to read that I was a part of your upgrade journey, and of course, you and your lovely wife are always welcome back in Vancouver. 😊👍🏻

Wishing you great listening sessions ahead with your spectacular system.

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes, it was a very impressive weekend.

It was a real fight from Klaus and me against SO but in the end the music won. Don‘t get me wrong: the system sounded nice also with SO on but it was not engaging. The musicians were not keen on playing music, they were just there. Only with SO off the music appeared.

@fschmeis: thank you very much for hosting this event and also for your and @Peter_P visit at my Komri heaven on Sunday afternoon. And also thank you very much for letting me try your tranquility pods for some time … very promising

One small correction: I own four (not three) Reclocker with one external 10 MHz Clock. 😜

Last edited:

Peter_P

Music makes the world a better place.
Wammer
Nov 12, 2018
Bielefeld, Germany
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
What makes the music reproduction in Frank's LINN system so outstanding?

The acoustics in the entire room with kitchen, dining and living area (estimated at more than 80 square metres) are very well balanced - you can have a good conversation at any point in the room, and intelligibility is always given. Thanks to extensive furnishing and small room tuning measures, there is no disturbing reverberation. The loudspeakers are placed against the "short" wall (approx. 7 m) at a distance of about 2.6 m. This part of the room is the "listening area". You can sit on a long sofa, or behind it on an armchair (distance 4.5 m to 6 m from the front wall). No matter where you sit, the Komris fill the room with music. You sit in front of a large stage and "look" intently at the musicians, their interplay, and can concentrate effortlessly on individual instruments. The stage achieves a depth that I have never heard before with a LINN system. The speakers really become "audibly invisible".
The tonal balance is perfect, the individual timbres were enormously inspiring, almost addictive. You can listen at any volume (for some pieces of music even above volume 80 - absolutely distortion-free). - With so much enthusiasm, dinner had to be postponed for 3 hours.

As an experienced SO advocate for many years, I come to the conclusion that with an almost optimal room and perfect loudspeaker set-up, this could not bring any improvement.
Even a slider setting of 0%, so that only the time of flight correction is to be made, brings a small deterioration compared to the No-Space-Optimisation setting.
However, as I frequently set up Linn systems for my local LINN dealer, I know that Space Optimisation is a good tool when the spatial conditions are unfavourable and cannot be changed and the speaker set-up conditions are not optimal.
The SO algorithm is still up to date as of November 2019, so it's time for an update!

Last edited:

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
CU and Janice :)

Next time hopefully near Frankfurt (a 50th year anniversary by Linn would have been a great opportunity if ...:( )
Looking forward to visiting you and Maren and hear your newly optimized Linn system again

Yes, it would have been great if Linn had a 50th anniversary event for their customers. It would have been a wonderful excuse to jump on a plane and visit you and the guys in Europe 😊

Reactions: weinconsi

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
RT = reverberation time; RT60 means the duration it takes until the sound level dereased by 60 Db; refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverberation#Reverberation_time
Many thanks for that and your comprehensive write up of the workshop. I was a little nonplussed last night having just come back to earth after an amazing Seventieth Sojourn on a Magical Mystery Tour round the north of England and across Europe organised by my wife. Now I’ve better come to grips with your original post. It could be a sort of benchmark by which to assess my own system.

At first, I thought that room treatment was one rabbit hole that I haven’t been down. Then I realised that’s not strictly true. When I moved house nearly three years ago, I went from an engineered wood floor to carpets. Although this seemed beneficial to sound quality initially, the smaller new room with a large glass window on one side wall brought its own problems. I found that the Gaias and the Organik Upgrade of my Exaktboxes mitigated against the worst issue which had persisted even with different loudspeakers.

It makes sense that a less reverberant room may not need Space Optimisation. Kudos Loudspeakers consider that it is not needed if the speaker design is right in first place. When I have time, I’ll make the comparison of with and without SO to see if it still makes a difference.

I recently had a big upgrade in my hearing through the removal of some dead skin and wax from my ear drums. I should revisit some of the comparisons that I’ve made in the past with my improved hearing.

Last edited:

loogiefi

Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
London
AKA
Noil Porter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This weekend some people met for something like a “workshop”.

Who attended:
  • @Ben Webster , in former times owning 350s for ½ year, for many years now owning Komris, be-amped with 4 Solos, Preamp and DAC from SPL, 3 re-clocker, LP12
  • @Peter_P , owning Komris with Organik Tuneboxes, 2 x 4200, KSH/3, LP12
  • Klaus (not on this forum), very experienced electric engineer, self-build 2-way speakers, self-build class A mono blocks with 400 Watt – very dynamic system with great enjoyable sound
  • Myself, owning Komris for appr. 11 years (starting with Index, then Katans and later 212s with 2 Sizmiks), Organik Tuneboxes, 4 dynamiked Twins, KSH/3
Why I write this post

I read most of the posts in the Linn owners club in this forum and got many ideas how to improve my system, but post myself very few posts due to lack of time, therefore I want to give something back, means: maybe somebody gets an idea what he can improve further at his music system based on what we experienced and achieved during this weekend.

History and motivation
  • The journey started 1,5 years ago when I visited @Paulssurround in Vancouver and he praised Gaias for loudspeakers, so I purchased two sets of Gaias but never installed them until now.
  • Later I read in this forum about the great improvements Paul and the gang in Vancouver got from the Tranquility Pods, therefore within the Christmas promotion of Synergistic Research I purchased 7 pods but did not yet install them until now.
  • I read about the 360 as the successor of the 350 and asked myself: How do they sound, how do they compare to Komris?
  • I read about the improvements when using the fibre input of the KSH/3.
  • I read recurring opinions against Space Optimization.
Agenda
  • Arrival of Peter Friday afternoon, installation of the Tranquility Pods from Synergistic Research and installation of the ADOT MC02 audiophile grade optical fibre kit (copper to fibre transformer, refer to http://www.admm.uk.com/adot.html) supplied by a Ferrum HYPSOS power supply (according to Peter better then e.g., SBooster) and in conjunction with an ifi LAN Silencer and an ifi DC iPurifier 2
  • Saturday prenoon: Audition of the 360 at a Linn dealer
  • Rest of Saturday: new positioning of Komris, Space Optimization, assess the contribution of the pods
  • Prenoon of Sunday: Decide about the Gaias
The results
  • Audition of the 360s: Ben Webster, Peter and I were attending this audition; the 360s where just running the 4th day, had no Space optimization applied and even during the audition the dealer moved them around, also the room was a little bit boomy and reverberant. To me the 360 showed their potential in terms of spatial sound (I could locate every instrument and the singer very precisely), the music was 100% decoupled from the loudspeakers and the 360 showed huge dynamics including the ability to move large amounts of air – very impressive! They were not (yet) very tuneful and enjoyable which I account to the suboptimal placement and not yet burnt in. I can imagine that these speakers might be able to deliver outstanding sound if burnt in and set up properly …
  • Coming home Klaus joined us. All attendants were seeking and discussing how to improve the performance of my system and it was Klaus who insisted on moving the Komris further away from the back wall – the front of the Komris were something like 85 cm away from the back wall. Klaus and Ben Webster also insisted on switching off Space Optimization.
  • So, we switched off Space Optimization and to move the Komris we remembered the Gaias, so we installed the Gaias (instead of the spikes, which were without skeets directly located on the parquet which is directly glued to the suspended floor) and moved the Komris around what we did for what felt like several hours: we moved them back and forth, much further apart, then again little bit back closer to each other, started with very few toe in, increased toe in significantly. Finally, at 107 cm from front of the Komris to the back wall (22 cm further than before), some cm further apart (mid tweeter to mid tweeter now 258 cm) and a significant toe in of appr. 5 degrees (same as before, we tried less) the sound snapped in: the singer could be localized precisely in the middle, the soundstage opened up, some background instruments went far behind the speakers, everything could be followed better than before, and the room modes (remember: SPACE was switched off) were rather limited (sitting appr. 4 m away from the tweeter).
  • Then we did some testing: SPACE with new parameters (location of speakers, … ), starting with 70% absorption, reducing to 63%, further to 58%, and compared it to Space Optimization switched off. The room modes were really limited due to the existing room treatment and proper positioning of the Komris, so we asked ourselves whether we need Space Optimization at all. Finally, three of us compared blindly: Space Optimization reduced to 0% and Space Optimization switched off. All of us – also Peter and myself who where Space Optimization evangelists before – agreed, that Space Optimization switched off provided the most engaging and easiest to follow tune!
  • As the Tranquility Pods where already running since Friday evening, we decided to have a look at their contribution to the overall result. Klaus (remember: Our electrical engineer) asked how they work, but nobody could explain it in a way which made him believe that they could improve anything to the overall result, even the description on their home page wasn’t clear for an electrical engineer. We heard a track, then cut the connection from the pods to the power supply and the grounding and replayed the same track. WOW – something changed significantly to the bad – the sound became more boring, the hights less crisp, we couldn’t enjoy following the tune as before! Klaus was very very surprised, as this was against everything he expected, he jumped up and had a look at the pods, unfortunately the electronics are potted, so you cannot open the case and have a look what's inside and get an idea how that might work, Klaus said: Whatever those voodoo devices do – it is great and very beneficial!
  • On Sunday just Peter and I remained, we played some bass heavy tracks with the Gaias, then removed them and replayed the tracks. We both agreed that the sound with the Gaias was a little bit smoother, but we also agreed that the sound without the Gaias might be closer to the original, and with the spice located directly on top of the parquet the tune was more attacking, more precise and more engaging.
My personal Key Learnings (others might disagree, others might have different circumstances)
  • Proper room treatment is the basis (before I had 1 second for RT60, refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverberation#Reverberation_time, which could be reduced to 0,5 seconds some years ago)
  • Reduced RT60 in conjunction with proper placement of the Komris allowed us to switch Space Optimization off. I was surprised and to some extend irritated, that Space Optimization switched off is better than Space Optimization at 0% - for me, this is an indication, that Linn should improve the algorithm further and / or work on the parameters for time of flight and so on. I was for many years in the camp of “pro Space Optimization” but definitively changed my mind yesterday.
  • I cannot answer which enhancements (fibre and DOT, pods, placement of Komris, Space Optimization off) accounts for which amount of improvement, nevertheless: The overall end result is just jaw dropping, I never heard my system or any other system sounding so good, it was such a step forward, really in a complete different league! Even tracks I didn’t like (Freddy Quinn, Reinhard Mey, … ) became engaging and enjoyable for me! A holography, always enjoyable and very easy to follow tune!
  • Working and bringing together so many views and worthwhile experiences was key to achieve this large step forward. Compared to what we heard Saturday prenoon: 360 might be better then Komris at the bottom line when set up properly and burnt in, but as long as my Komris perform at this level there is no need to change anything …
There is some work to be done now: Arrange the HYPSOS and DOT on an additional time table (rack), redesign the existing time tables to accommodate the pods, move the movie canvas on the ceiling by 30 cm, wire the fibre through the empty pipe, think about some more room treatment to reduce the small remaining room modes and so on, but most important: ENJOY the music more than ever before! And I heard Peter and Thomas muttering about some homework they have to do on their Komri based systems at home … ;-)

Finally, I want to say THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH to: Peter, Ben Webster, Klaus and Paul! Without the help, expertise, and contribution of everybody mentioned above, this outstanding result would not have been possible.
I experienced the same results during a recent demo of the 360's with NGKDSM. When I got home and using analogue active Komri's with Katalyst DS, I found that the 360's may have sounded better overall but I didn't feel I was missing much listening to Komri's even without Organik. The soundstage depth, transparency and location of singer and instruments were all their with the Komri's. I also find that for me, now at this level the improvements are even more difficult to justify given the costs involved and improvements to be had. The Komri's are a great loudspeaker system when setup well.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very interesting reading from all the Komri owners that have auditioned the Klimax 360's on this thread and some posts in other threads from other Komri owners.

It seems that everyone is still enjoying their Komris, and that they are not in the market for Klimax 360's at the moment

What I am reading from the positive reviews is that the Klimax 360's are sounding very similar to Komris, in many respects, and that is a great thing for people in the market for a new pair of modern high end speakers

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very interesting reading from all the Komri owners that have auditioned the Klimax 360's on this thread and some posts in other threads from other Komri owners.

It seems that everyone is still enjoying their Komris, and that they are not in the market for Klimax 360's at the moment

What I am reading from the positive reviews is that the Klimax 360's are sounding very similar to Komris, in many respects, and that is a great thing for people in the market for a new pair of modern high end speakers
I can only speak for myself, but it does seem to be emerging theme that the Komri owners on here are happy with their lot and not in a hurry to spend big on the 360s. It is curious that Linn seem to be marketing the 360s as replacements for the 350s rather than the Komris.

I think it would be hard to argue the 360s aren’t objectively better than the Komris in terms of ease of following the melody, that the listener doesn’t need to be in the sweet spot, appearance, the integrated electronics, etc. Yet there still appears to be something special about the Komris that I love.

I am enjoying music better than ever since making many upgrades and tweaks - most notably this year, Organik Upgrade, Tranquility Pods and sorting out problems with my ears. There’s really no need for a major change of direction that would be a huge stretch financially and difficult to justify to my other half. In any case, if I needed another upgrade Utopiik will probably be along soon.

Last edited:

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did some calculations and surprisingly, a brand new pair of passive Linn Klimax 360's costs the same now as a brand new pair of Komris did back in 2002, when adjusted for inflation.

In 2002, according to a Stereophile magazine review, a pair of Komris cost around $40,000 USD, which in todays 2023 dollars, adjusted to inflation is $68,000 USD

A brand new pair of passive Klimax 360's cost £55,000 pounds sterling , which converts to $68,000 USD

loogiefi

Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
London
AKA
Noil Porter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can only speak for myself, but it does seem to be emerging theme that the Komri owners on here are happy with their lot and not in a hurry to spend big on the 360s. It is curious that Linn seem to be marketing the 360s as replacements for the 350s rather than the Komris.

I think it would be hard to argue the 360s aren’t objectively better than the Komris in terms of ease of following the melody, that the listener doesn’t need to be in the sweet spot, appearance, the integrated electronics, etc. Yet there still appears to be something special about the Komris that I love.

I am enjoying music better than ever since making many upgrades and tweaks - most notably this year, Organik Upgrade, Tranquility Pods and sorting out problems with my ears. There’s really no need for a major change of direction that would be a huge stretch financially and difficult to justify to my other half. In any case, if I needed another upgrade Utopiik will probably be along soon.
For me it the sheer effortlessness and depth of the sound from the Komris that draws you into the soundstage.

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It‘s hard for me to compare speakers within different rooms, different systems and different personal mood.

Komris and 242/212 (maybe with 226) have a similar character. 350 is totally different.

360 is signifikant different from 350 (the similar „name“ is absolutely misleading).

360 is a real modern speaker (I guess with more HiFi in a positive way than Komris). In within a Linn Universum the Exakt 360 with a KDSM/3 Hub is a nice solution - beside the price tag.

For those who want to be more flexible regarding different brands, there a speakers in market which may have a better price/performance ratio.

Last edited:

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A brief internet search finds a pair of Linn Komri Active Speakers + a pair of Klimax Tuneboxes from 2007 for sale in Spain for 5,500 Euros.

fschmeis

Wammer
Oct 29, 2018
Germany, near FFM
AKA
Frank
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One more personal key learning in the meantime:
  • if you plan something similiar, try to plan it during a weekend when SWMBO is far away; when my wife came home she mentioned one time that the sound improved but already three times that the new position of the speakers isn't beautiful - due to the increased dinstance to the back wall are all the cables are much better visible :oops: ... we would never have been able to reach the same result if she would have been present during the weekend ;)

Reactions: Newton John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles