What amps work well with Ditton 44's

M

MJ.

Hi,

Keen to hear from anybody that has experience of the Ditton 44's and in particular amps you have used that have particularly good synergy with them.

Could be integrated or power, modern or period (slight preference here I think).

Listening preferences are Rock / Electronica. Will be used in a pretty small listening room so absolute power not an issue.

What have you used / do you recommend ?

Thanks for your inputs.

naxos10

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 8, 2009
Staffordshire
AKA
Alan
Unfortunately no experience of the speakers but I would imagine quad 33/303 or 34/405 may synergise with this or maybe even a NAD 3020. Other than those a valve amp from the same period or more modern.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:pop:

Not the same, but a friend runs his 66's with a dc300 and it sounds pretty bleedin good"

old_school

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 8, 2011
London
AKA
Jay
I had a set for a while. Thought they were quite good (for three-ways). I drove them with an old Sony SS amp at first (TA-3200 I think), then with valves - conrad-johnson MV-75. Not long after that I got Tannoys though.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The 44 is a better speaker than the 66 in my view. OK they are alright, but I wouldn't want them and they are quite difficult to drive. They have the typical 1970's UK 3-way sound, which is soft bass, a rolled off frequency extremes and a lack of imaging. It is of course my taste and I accept that some people may like this sound.

Why have them when you can have some vintage JBL's with snap and drive that make you want to dance with a budget amp?

M

MJ.

I've read a lot of positive reviews Bob and a few negative, so I guess the only way to find out is give them a try.

How do you mean hard to drive ?

They were a good price so I shouldn't lose anything if and when I move them on.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They sound flatter less dynamic than normal if the amp is struggling and the treble dips a bit in impedance if my memory is correct. Designers always tried to squeeze a bit more volume out of the treble units of the day.

M

MJ.

Cheers Bob.

Ive got an old DC300a that shouldn't struggle too much.

Ill see how it goes.

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
Cheers Bob.Ive got an old DC300a that shouldn't struggle too much.

Ill see how it goes.
Give it a whirl and see how they sound, Mike. Bob is right in that they do have a particular sound, and it is a vintage one, but they are capable of good results with a decent amp. They do improve by being put on low stands also, but they are quite big to start with so you might find them too imposing in your smaller space if you raise them up.

If you don't like them, there are plenty of people about who do and will give you reasonable money for them, so you shouldn't lose out whatever happens.

:^

M

MJ.

Cheers John.

If they don't work out, I'll be back (didn't somebody famous once say that ?) for your DM4's :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles