What did I do wrong ? A signal loop ???????

Alvolake

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 7, 2006
Canaries, , Spain
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To summarise - have rebuilt my Puresound P10 turning it into 2 boxes - Transformer/ choke PSU and Salas regulator along with Teflon caps in the RIAA and general OTT components. Am very happy but while waiting I had the use of a Linto whose 2 output sockets I tried to emulate with my revamped P10.

My tuned P10 sounded wonderful.

Last month I finished building my WD25T speakers and connected them up and at the same time connected my Creek OBH21SE can amp to the 2nd output on the P10 instead of having them to the tapeout of my Sugden A21SE main amp. Rather disappointed with the sound as it lacked body and bass weight although mids and highs very good. Wracking my brains for 3 weeks, automatically blaming the speakers, taking them apart checking Xovers, polarity etc. etc. and not thinking about the interconnect jungle. Last night I was listening to my phones which sounded great and was only too aware of the great difference between them and the speakers.and while listening I happened to switch off the Sugden and the volume dropped dramaticallythrough the cans but not totally but I never gave it a second thought save thinking I must reconnect them via the tape out. Until this morning, driving to work I realised there was no connection between the Sugden and the Creek save via the 2 outputs so how the f*** could the Sugden on/off afect the Creek ? When I got home I disconnected the Creek from the P10 and perfect

Is the fact that all the grounds are always connected the reason and if so can such a ground loop suck the life out of the bass and mid/bass rather than causing a hum ?

Lesson : Never change two things at a time.

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
Most likely the Creek has a low input impedance. The P10 has quite a high output impedance at LF does doesn't like low more dance loads - th bass gets rolled off early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online