What do you get from listening to music?

Who Cares?

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2012
Ignore the equipment stuff.

Me, I'm currently listening to Glenn Gould, J S Bach, Goldberg Variations, a CD of the 1955 recording, so hiss but his breathing audible.

I go from joy to despair whilst listening, it leads me to think about so much.

Made even more poignant because this work was, later, also one of his last recordings.

f1eng

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2009
Wantage, U K
AKA
Frank
The later version is the recording I would keep if I could only have one disc.

It most certainly the music I bought the kit for, not the other way round.

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
Ignore the equipment stuff.Me, I'm currently listening to Glenn Gould, J S Bach, Goldberg Variations, a CD of the 1955 recording, so hiss but his breathing audible.

I go from joy to despair whilst listening, it leads me to think about so much.

Made even more poignant because this work was, later, also one of his last recordings.
The later version is the recording I would keep if I could only have one disc.It most certainly the music I bought the kit for, not the other way round.
By huge coincidence, have just finished (10 minutes ago) listening to the 1981 recording. The way that he plays the final reprise always reduces me to tears. Some of the notes seem to hang for an eternity, but yet remain an integral part of the larger picture he is painting. I feel a direct connection with Bach himself when I listen to this supreme music-making.

I have the 1955 recording also - very different but also wonderful.

For me, for this music, nobody else will do, Gould every time. I think it would be my single disk also.

M

MJ.

Chilled, elated, relaxed, excited, happy, sad, emotional.

All of the above depending upon the tune and the moment. Such an amazingly visceral experience. Not so much a hobby as a necessity.

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Chilled, elated, relaxed, excited, happy, sad, emotional.All of the above depending upon the tune and the moment. Such an amazingly visceral experience. Not so much a hobby as a necessity.
Sums it up for me, pretty much what I was going to write :^

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
It uplifts/positively interacts with my soul. Enjoying the benefits of good hifi equipment enhance this, but the fundamental is there from listening to radio in the garage, headphone to the full system going like the clappers. Soul food.

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
I get stressed, anxious, frustrated, angry etc that my system isn't quite as perfect as I'd like it to be so I stop listening to my one CD until I get some new kit or different cables - and then repeat ad nauseum.

Isn't that what being an audiophile is all about. :?

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
Memories, it is like a time machine that can transport you back instantly to the past. Also it is great fun to share music with others and see what it means to them.

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
If I don't listen to music for at least an hour a day, I am miserable.

I found a Bose Wave Radio/CD Player going for £100 on the AVforums recently and I bought it (because I actually like it, but not at the RRP) to take on holiday with us. I can only relax and rest properly with tunes on in the background and the algorithm Bose used in the BWRCD (and mile long tubing for the tiny drivers to produce any bass) seems to force me into believing I am listening to extremely well done open mic sessions in a jazz club or a café somewhere.

My lounge system is the one which makes me sob, laugh with happiness and dance with the dog, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online