What do you leave on..?

M

MallyMad

Nowt gets left on. It all gets unplugged as well when I head offshore.

rag

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 23, 2007
Wirral
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I switch all electronics off at the wall socket if I'm not using it and always unplug overnight.

V

Voice_Coil

I think the belief that leaving your equipment on will prolong its life and make it sound better is a bit silly.
a bit silly !:^lol

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Perhaps Naim think its good subliminal advertising? The name does light up when its on doesnt it?Do they give a reason more specific than simply stating it will last longer?
Us Naim owners have already sworn an allegiance in Salisbury Cathedral long before the green neon is illuminated in our own lounge!

(Slightly) more seriously it's explained in the manuals - I think it's to do with stabilisation certainly when you power up the amps it takes a few seconds for the mute to switch off. There's loads of stuff written here and elsewhere and that's good. But my take is that I'll follow the advice of the manufacturer.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Us Naim owners have already sworn an allegiance in Salisbury Cathedral long before the green neon is illuminated in our own lounge!(Slightly) more seriously it's explained in the manuals - I think it's to do with stabilisation certainly when you power up the amps it takes a few seconds for the mute to switch off. There's loads of stuff written here and elsewhere and that's good. But my take is that I'll follow the advice of the manufacturer.
Maybe it's to do with how much service work it generates. The pattern is that only the recently serviced and re-capped amps sell quickly s/h.

I know I slate Naim a lot, but it's not how you might be thinking. Love the kit, loath the company. That being said, they are supreme Anglers.

Steve

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 18, 2005
Staffordshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The DAC and transport are left on, the valve pre and power amps are turned off when not in use for safety, longevity and electricity bills. The DAC sounds its best after a couple of hours' warm up so I find it best to leave it on.

alexh

Super Wammer
Wammer
Feb 17, 2009
Hereford, , United K
AKA
Alex
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I leave the ATC preamp on, as that is what they recommend. I turn the speakers on an hour before a proper listening session. Transport and Dac stay on as per designers recommendation.

I found that digital kit needs to stay switched on otherwise it will forever sound harsh. The ATC preamp cold will send you down the pub, If I leave the speakers on the electricity bill goes rather high ....

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The olive naim gear I had used to attempt to blow the voice coils out of the front of the speakers when you turned it on or off. I suspect the naim marketing dept dreamed up the strategy of leaving it on all the time to cover up this behaviour. Since then it has become mythology.

PQ recommends leaving Audio Note gear on all the time. :shock: But he has a huge supply of spare valves at his disposal. And probably a Fire Engine. :D

• Upvote
Reactions: browellm

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
Dunno why my Sony LCD TV can't be turned off except by unplugging; first TV I've had which can't ! Naim kit on 24/7; other stuff on only when in use.

uncl_nigel

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2008
SE France
AKA
Nigel
The olive naim gear I had used to attempt to blow the voice coils out of the front of the speakers when you turned it on or off. I suspect the naim marketing dept dreamed up the strategy of leaving it on all the time to cover up this behaviour. Since then it has become mythology.PQ recommends leaving Audio Note gear on all the time. :shock: But he has a huge supply of spare valves at his disposal. And probably a Fire Engine. :D
Both points ring a bell...

Only my valve amp that went up in flames was not an Audio Note

Rodney Gold

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2013
Cape Town SA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I leave everything on

I have no valves tho..when I used valves , I used to switch em off after a valve preamp caught alight...well it started smoking as one of the transformers wiring went..

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Everything goes off. Particularly after I also recently experienced the clunk of the house RCD, the haze of smoke due to the melted transformer and the casework I nearly burned my hand on after a rectifier diode went short circuit in an item I have.

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
TV, Skybox, Bluray, AV amp/pre amp, Subwoofer are on standby. HTPC is on 24/7 because its a downloading box and also streams around the house (likewise the laptop in the bedroom is always on).

Everything else is off off off.

manicatel

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2009
Herts/Essex border
AKA
matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Avondale Pwr supply for my Young DAC & the Michell "top hat" for the Orbe get left on 24/7 due to poor access to the pwr switches & mains sockets. The MacMini gets left on when I am at home, switched off when I am away for more than a night. The valve amp, phono stage & Young DAC only get switched on when I'm using them.

If the pwr switches on the TT & DAC Pwr supplies were more easily accessible, they'd get switched off more frequently as well.

How much 'leccy does a phone charger left plugged in but no phone attached actually use? Quite a few of them dotted about the house.

Matt.

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
Us Naim owners have already sworn an allegiance in Salisbury Cathedral long before the green neon is illuminated in our own lounge!(Slightly) more seriously it's explained in the manuals - I think it's to do with stabilisation certainly when you power up the amps it takes a few seconds for the mute to switch off. There's loads of stuff written here and elsewhere and that's good. But my take is that I'll follow the advice of the manufacturer.
The power amps certainly take a little time for the bias current to settle and it tends to flatten off after about 10-15 minutes.

So a stone cold and freshly powered-up Naim power amp isn't operating at it's best.

Personally, I wouldn't leave them powered 24/7 though. 10-15 mins before a listening session should do the trick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles