ronc

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 14, 2006
Gold Coast Australia
AKA
Ron
...no, not the spice girls.

I want to sit in my lounge, with a screen (monitor) and mouse next to me; a wireless connection is made to a silent PC or box of some sort. This box has about a terrabyte or two of memory, and it needs to play uncompressed music (I'm happy to buy CDs and record them onto the box, but it needs to record as swiftly as my Yamaha HDD).

I mention the mouse because I want to make playlists up as easily as I can on my PC.

The whole thing needs to connect to my DAC, amp and speakers and produce hi-fi worthy of the name, so in terms of the source it needs to be equivalent to a Wadia 270 or similar transport; preferably better than that, of course.

In short, I really really want PC convenience of accessing, organising and playing music, but I want source capability equivalent to a £3 - £5k (or better) CD player.

There is probably some Japanese guy somewhere enjoying exactly what I am describing, but I'm blowed if I can find it.

Is this just a forlorn dream?

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ronc wrote:

...no, not the spice girls.I want to sit in my lounge, with a screen (monitor) and mouse next to me; a wireless connection is made to a silent PC or box of some sort. This box has about a terrabyte or two of memory, and it needs to play uncompressed music (I'm happy to buy CDs and record them onto the box, but it needs to record as swiftly as my Yamaha HDD).

I mention the mouse because I want to make playlists up as easily as I can on my PC.

The whole thing needs to connect to my DAC, amp and speakers and produce hi-fi worthy of the name, so in terms of the source it needs to be equivalent to a Wadia 270 or similar transport; preferably better than that, of course.

In short, I really really want PC convenience of accessing, organising and playing music, but I want source capability equivalent to a £3 - £5k (or better) CD player.

There is probably some Japanese guy somewhere enjoying exactly what I am describing, but I'm blowed if I can find it.

There's a joke somewhere here about the Japanese guy, you being blowed, a mouse and some dreaming.

Maybe if you stay asleep long enough you'll dream of getting some replies?
wink.png

ronc

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 14, 2006
Gold Coast Australia
AKA
Ron
Can't really expect any replies, because if someone knew of the existence of what I really really want then my guess is that the whole world would know!

soupdragon

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 18, 2006
Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hello ronc - i have the sb3 - and live in Ticknall

i'm not sure if youve thought/seen/heard it ?

though not hitting all your points it covers most

liam

Tons of Fun

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 26, 2006
Concrete cow funland
AKA
Ed
ronc wrote:

...no, not the spice girls.I want to sit in my lounge, with a screen (monitor) and mouse next to me; a wireless connection is made to a silent PC or box of some sort. This box has about a terrabyte or two of memory, and it needs to play uncompressed music (I'm happy to buy CDs and record them onto the box, but it needs to record as swiftly as my Yamaha HDD).

Depends if you've got £17k or not I guess

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products_detail.asp?id=41

audioboy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 25, 2006
Guidlford, , United
You need a sonos syetem, plugged into a very good, perhaps very expensive, DAC.

No need for a pc in your listening room, the sonos controller is as easy if not easier to use than a PC.

Buy something like a Buffalo TeraStation, burn you music onto it uncompressed and your sorted.

ronc

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 14, 2006
Gold Coast Australia
AKA
Ron
Well, I thought there was nothing that came close, but perhaps there is.

I don't really want something principally (or even half) designed for movies, because I'd be paying for a capability that I'd basically never use, and whatever I spend needs to go towards high quality CD playing/storage. I've just invested in a pair of Focal JM Labs Alto Utopias from Mr C, and I want the best things I can get to match them. At the moment I have a Wadia transport and I don't want to step down in quality (not that I yet properly know what quality they are capable of, because we are moving house soon, so the speakers are not set up to best effect yet).

I'm at work, so haven't got time at the moment to investigate the suggestions, but I will do: thanks to those who made them. I had no idea there was anything to seriously consider.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have a good solution to this.

Upstairs: big, noisy PC with about 700 Gb of disc space

Downstairs: small, quiet laptop connected to the PC via a wireless network and the hi-fi via a USB sound card (with digital output feeding one of my CDP's digital inputs.)

Sorted.
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

TIU

Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Been hearing negative things about the lack of security on these wireless networks. Isn't it fairly easy to hack into these and get personal information off them, such as bank dertails? I think if you use a PC on a wireless network it has to be loaded to the max with the latest security.

IHaveNoNaim

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2005
, ,
turnitup! wrote:

Been hearing negative things about the lack of security on these wireless networks. Isn't it fairly easy to hack into these and get personal information off them, such as bank dertails? I think if you use a PC on a wireless network it has to be loaded to the max with the latest security.
Provided you have the security on the network; WEP keys etc, it should be fairly secure but everything is hackable...

However I use a noisy clapped out PC with some external hard drives under the stairs; and a quiet pc in the listening room playing out the wirelessly streamed music. As far as I know nobody has hacked into the network to steal that obscure Americana track from the Blind Lemon Farmers of Missouri...
smile.png

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
turnitup! wrote:

You need to know the WEP encryption key to access mine, and the main PC only shares the drive with music files on it. Not too difficult to set these up securely, but it's not a "no-brainer" either. Just needs some care.
wink.png

TIU

Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IHaveNoNaim wrote:

turnitup! wrote:
Provided you have the security on the network; WEP keys etc, it should be fairly secure but everything is hackable...

However I use a noisy clapped out PC with some external hard drives under the stairs; and a quiet pc in the listening room playing out the wirelessly streamed music.  As far as I know nobody has hacked into the network to steal that obscure Americana track from the Blind Lemon Farmers of Missouri...
smile.png
Including this forum! Do you remember Teem MATRIX?

'Admin: We Are Not Sorry, And You Are The Loser'

This Is My Live ..... Live of HaCkErS'

:lmao:

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IHaveNoNaim wrote:

and a quiet pc in the listening room playing out the wirelessly streamed music.
Is there such a thing? I've got a fairly recent hi spec laptop in my listening room, the fan comes on randomly even when you're not really asking a lot of it, its far from quiet and theres no chance of quality listening while its on.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
What you want is a low spec laptop with a slow processor and crap graphics! My £350 Gateway is almost silent, and has more than enough power for browsing and playing music.

IHaveNoNaim

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2005
, ,
Matt J wrote:

IHaveNoNaim wrote:
and a quiet pc in the listening room playing out the wirelessly streamed music.
Is there such a thing? I've got a fairly recent hi spec laptop in my listening room, the fan comes on randomly even when you're not really asking a lot of it, its far from quiet and theres no chance of quality listening while its on.
Touble is hi-spec tends to means noisy graphics cards fans, processor fans etc etc to keep all that computing horsepower cool.

If you're not bothered beyond a bit of browsing then an old pc with a bit of a silencing kit seems to work quite well

jmike

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 17, 2006
, ,
drifting off topic but you need better encryption than WEP that can be hacked very quickly these days. You need WPA and also enable to MAC address filtering which tells your router only to accept instructions from predesignated computers/other hardware

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bugsaint