What is Class AA amplification?

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am currently using my old Technics integrated amp,model SU-A700, whilst my Primaluna is getting sorted out. see here for specs: http://www.vintagetechnics.com/integrated.htm

recently i've realised that it really is very musical and enjoyable,which is obviously the reason i bought it in the first place. it is lacking if you analyse it from a hi-fi point of view and it's deficiencies are highlighted if you turn it up alot, but i've found that I don't analyse it I just enjoy the music -which is always a good sign.

i am wondering if this presentation that i quite likeis to do with the amplification type, which is stated as AA. What is this? Can't find anything on the internet about it.

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
I used to have an SU-V5 back in the early 80s. Very toe-tapping it was too.

And from what I remember "Class AA" was a Technics marketing term to make it sound better than a class A amp.. I don't think it meant anything particularly novel in amp design, just a pretty logo and the usual "first few watts are pure class A".

I always enjoyed the flashing lights though!

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
there was something they stated as being different about class AA - can't remember what it was though. In the power amps, one section ran in pure Class A and the power section in B IIRC - it was in the manual of the 3000 series amps that Istari Knight is selling, maybe he can post up the info? I seem to remember it supposedly provided more power whilst limiting A/B distortion.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I found this:

Class AA Similar to Class AB, Class AA is not generally recognized as a proper amplifier classification, but as a variation on Class AB. In a proper Class AB amplifier, at some signal level, the amp operates in Class B with only one output leg active. In Class AA, the inactive leg never completely shuts off, but stays in Class A, but with a significantly lower idling current.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
4_aa_batteries.jpg

It's the power supply.
Bird.gif.e5ad7f48d8bb596824f2dfdd3446d314.gif
:TheBird:
Bird.gif.e5ad7f48d8bb596824f2dfdd3446d314.gif
:TheBird:

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thanks people. must investigate Class A amps further. I must quite like the sound (even my cdp has a Class A output stage), and as I have more recently discovered I alsoseem to preferthe sound of valves to solid state amps I've heard.

Seems like I will have to get a listen to that Bewitched amp next year which has valves and Class A operation.

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
While your sorting that, have a listen to the sugden class A amps- run warm, but probably no warmer than valves.

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Anthony, the Wigwam's pet Krell is heavily biased into Class A (that's why I had to leave it to cool down for so long at the end of the Edinburgh Rumpus!), so when we played it at slightly lower volumes, ie when I wrested control of the volume from Umberto, you did hear pretty much Class A at times.

I suspect this is part of why I preferred the Krell to the Expo 3010, which is a more typical Class AB circuit.

Boxer

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
dudywoxer wrote:

While your sorting that, have a listen to the sugden class A amps- run warm, but probably no warmer than valves.
have wanted to hear one of these for a while, but can't at a dealers if i'm not in the market to buy one. one day though.

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
boxer wrote:

Anthony, the Wigwam's pet Krell is heavily biased into Class A (that's why I had to leave it to cool down for so long at the end of the Edinburgh Rumpus!), so when we played it at slightly lower volumes, ie when I wrested control of the volume from Umberto, you did hear pretty much Class A at times. I suspect this is part of why I preferred the Krell to the Expo 3010, which is a more typical Class AB circuit.

Boxer
aah, of course - it had got pretty warm if I remember correctly.

sonic assault volumes are all well and good if you always listen at that volume, but I find it moreinformative to listen to kit at the volumes I normally use. If I like it and can get engaged at those volumes then I know it's good enough for me. If it still sounds as good when really loud then that's an added bonus in my book.

istari knight

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2005
South downs
AKA
James
Ive got a despcription in the manaul to my power amp - will post it when home....

IIRC it says it offers the quality of class a with the none of the drawbacks....

James.

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
istari knight wrote:

Ive got a despcription in the manaul to my power amp - will post it when home....IIRC it says it offers the quality of class a with the none of the drawbacks....

James.
cool, thanks. my manual has long since been misplaced.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
istari knight wrote:

Ive got a despcription in the manaul to my power amp - will post it when home....IIRC it says it offers the quality of class a with the none of the drawbacks....

James.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
:shock:
There are no drawbacks to "Class" A
wink.png

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Not if you like a toaster/ frying pan/auxilliary heaterin your living room and keeping a power station running by yourself, with associated `leccie bills:D.

Have noticed electricity consumption has gone up since I got the Krell (low starting point, which is how I can tell)
sad.png

Boxer

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anthony wrote:

I am currently using my old Technics integrated amp,model SU-A700, whilst my Primaluna is getting sorted out. see here for specs: http://www.vintagetechnics.com/integrated.htmrecently i've realised that it really is very musical and enjoyable,which is obviously the reason i bought it in the first place. it is lacking if you analyse it from a hi-fi point of view and it's deficiencies are highlighted if you turn it up alot, but i've found that I don't analyse it I just enjoy the music -which is always a good sign.

i am wondering if this presentation that i quite likeis to do with the amplification type, which is stated as AA. What is this? Can't find anything on the internet about it.
I suspect that MosClassAA (to give it its full name) is more a Technics marketing thang. Technics were always coming up with technobabble like this.

I also have a SU-A700. Not exactly a battleship but a lovely looking amp. A Hi-Fi Choice tech' test showed that the Technics actually put out almost 80 watts so pretty powerful too.

Interestingly, I also have a Pioneer Precision amp. Both were reviewed in the same Hi-Fi Choice.

The Pioneer was a 5 star 'best buy' classic and said to be the best amp on test. The Technics got a lousy two stars. I used to think the Pioneer was much better (in my audiophile days) but now I find they actually sound pretty much alike... Very similar indeed...

istari knight

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2005
South downs
AKA
James
Davewhityetagain wrote:

istari knight wrote:

James.
:shock:
There are no drawbacks to "Class" A
wink.png
I think they meant from a design standpoint Dave
wink.png
(no massive heat sinks - high power consumption etc...)

from the manual :

Since developing it in 1985 , Technics has used the Class AA circuit in many amplifiers. Conventional Amplifiers had one amplifier to carry out two functions; Voltage amplification & driving the current to the speakers. The Class AA Amplifier combines two separate amplifiers that perform these functions separately.

The two amplifiers are the Class A voltage Control amplifier , which Controls the entire amplifier , and the class B current drive amplifier , which makes the drive current to the speakers. This combination means you get the great sound of Class A and the driving power of Class B.

The MOS Class AA usesa MOS-FET , which has outstanding input & output linearityin the voltage Control amp and a bipolar transistor in the current drive amplifier for its High current drive ability. The result is that no unwanted sound is added , separation & positioning are good , and that the sound source is expressed with a high degree of precision.

There you have it !
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif
:cool:
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles