What is the best album you have ever bought?

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Time for a really hard question :roll: . The answer to which will possibly change over time :? .

You may have heard of albums similar to The Best Rock in the world, or the pop artists with Most Greatest Hits of the Century
happy-090.gif
Or serious music listeners choice of The Most Superior Classical Hits Ever. Well it's none of them. It is not "The last album I bought", nor "What I am listening to" either.

Switching on the radio this morning, I was greeted with two of my favourite songs of all time. Badge by Cream from Goodbye Cream, followed by Black Magic Woman from Abraxas by Santana. This got me thinking, Which is the best album I ever bought?. A difficult choice, as both have been with me for the last 40 years or so. There have been many great albums since, too many to mention.

It would be beneficial to all those who follow on reading this thread if you post a picture of the album, with an Amazon Link, and if you feel inclined, a reason why you picked it. Each of us have favourite albums for different reasons. I am not asking Which is the best album ever :nup: , the question is,

What is the best album you have ever bought :D .

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
Time for a really hard question :roll: . The answer to which will possibly change over time :? . You may have heard of albums similar to The Best Rock in the world, or the pop artists with Most Greatest Hits of the Century
happy-090.gif
Or serious music listeners choice of The Most Superior Classical Hits Ever. Well it's none of them. It is not "The last album I bought", nor "What I am listening to" either.

Switching on the radio this morning, I was greeted with two of my favourite songs of all time. Badge by Cream from Goodbye Cream, followed by Black Magic Woman from Abraxas by Santana. This got me thinking, Which is the best album I ever bought?. A difficult choice, as both have been with me for the last 40 years or so. There have been many great albums since, too many to mention.

It would be beneficial to all those who follow on reading this thread if you post a picture of the album, with an Amazon Link, and if you feel inclined, a reason why you picked it. Each of us have favourite albums for different reasons. I am not asking Which is the best album ever :nup: , the question is,

What is the best album you have ever bought :D .
That is an unanswerable question, it would change by the hour :x

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
note that you kinda hedged around giving your answer!

I could tell you month by month, because I find my all time faves relate to a period in my life where they were just perfectly 'right' for the time (like Jackson Browne's 'The Pretender', which I had whilst living in Tehran in 1976, or Love's 'Forever Changes', which seemed to fit 1968 equally well), but gazing back now to say which ONE of those was the best moment? How do you count?

I'll give it a wild shout in an hour or two tho!.

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
note that you kinda hedged around giving your answer!I could tell you month by month, because I find my all time faves relate to a period in my life where they were just perfectly 'right' for the time (like Jackson Browne's 'The Pretender', which I had whilst living in Tehran in 1976, or Love's 'Forever Changes', which seemed to fit 1968 equally well), but gazing back now to say which ONE of those was the best moment? How do you count?

I'll give it a wild shout in an hour or two tho!.
That was a deliberate ploy on my part to get some response before picking my own. The two previous ones I mentioned are up there in the top 5, but then I thought about picking Dark Side of the Moon.

On reflection, it was probably Mike Oldfields original Tubular Bells. It was in 1972, I was in Sharjah , at the time when I first heard it on cassette, so it was some time before I bought the album. It might change with even more thought :? , but for the time being I'll stick with this.

418MOZyDV0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon Link Here

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
Why a difference between Which and What ?

Is there a difference between this and 'Whats Your Favourite Album?' ?

Does Best = Favourite ?

Never understood why people faves/best change everyday, i can do a top 30 alltime in order no probs.

Rant rant... feeling pissed off.

gjm

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 6, 2007
NZ & loving it!
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Never understood why people faves/best change everyday, i can do a top 30 alltime in order no probs.
I know the original request was for one but that's proving really difficult... Could you narrow down to a top ten best, iyo? The 'your opinion' bit is extremely important!

Hope you're feeling happier soon. :)

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can pick one from my collection which I know will raise eyebrows (and derision :D from some).

220px-Beggar_On_A_Beach_Of_Gold.jpg

I've never tired of this since the first time I heard it, in fact I just might go and put it on now ....

whizzkid

I told you it wasn't important
Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
See I can read this question as best meaning technically the best piece of music I own and that's easy its Ludwig Van Beethoven's Ninth Symphony and thats any of the 4 versions I own because as a piece of music its top of the tree for many reasons. So there's you answer but then its not technically an album is it :dunno: .

Dean..

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I can pick one from my collection which I know will raise eyebrows (and derision :D from some).
220px-Beggar_On_A_Beach_Of_Gold.jpg

I've never tired of this since the first time I heard it, in fact I just might go and put it on now ....
respect-023.gif
Respect for putting your head above the parapet. I've often seen that cheap in charity shops, think I'll get a copy just to satisfy my curiosity :) .

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Why a difference between Which and What ?Is there a difference between this and 'Whats Your Favourite Album?' ?

Does Best = Favourite ?

Rant rant... feeling pissed off.
In that case, put on the "Best" album you have ever bought, the one that is always at the top of your top favourite 30 albums of all time, and job done ;-) .

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
JKB - I really couldn't say but it these are the runners:

The Pretender - Jackson Browne

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis

Blue Train - John Coltrane

Beethoven III - Tenstedt -LSO

Beethoven VII - Kleiber VPO

Famous Blue Raincoat - Jennifer Warnes.

But I really couldn't answer the question nor really does it matter I guess.

However, there are pieces of music that such is their emotional impact that after listening to them nothing is nothing really worthy of following them - . One such is Flamenco Sketches by Miles/Coltrane/Adderley, certainly Mozart's Clarinet Concerto, the Kleiber Beethovens, Sleeps Dark and Silent Gate and the Pretender by Jackson, the Elegant Gypsy Suite by Al Di Meola, Third World Man by Steely Dan, and here's the interesting one - inevitably Layla but how the album concludes with the gorgeous Thorn Tree In The Garden a little acoustic piece with the most wonderful vocal by Bobby Whitlock (if only I could find a really good vinyl pressing).

And on that note (no pun intended) I'm off to pose a question in the classical playground.

Regards,

Lindsay

TomTomClub

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 9, 2011
SE London
AKA
Tom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok... a very tough assignment....

... but I'm going to choose an album that has stood the test of time, and one that probably was responsible for a lot of record buying thereafter. Recollections of singing Starman in a Junior school playground, to owning the album first on tape and then on vinyl (the dog eared copy that I still own today) and then cd.

An album that is as good today, as it was when I first listened to it all those years ago...

51vE7zg1OGL._SS500_.jpg

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
.... here's the interesting one - inevitably Layla but how the album concludes with the gorgeous Thorn Tree In The Garden a little acoustic piece with the most wonderful vocal by Bobby Whitlock (if only I could find a really good vinyl pressing).
Good calls Lindsy :^ . I forgot about Layla, and often do. It's such a mamoth album, with being a double, and containing so many good tracks which stand on their own. I agree about the above track, it almost brings you to tears :cs: after listening to the album right through, such a perfect end to an excellent piece of music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles