What, no mention of the Jock Hi-Fi show on 8 & 9 October 2005 in GLA.

Nick

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2005
Edinburgh, , United
I will be there - on the Sunday. We were setting up today and it is a nice hotel from what I have seen of it. The rooms and corridors area good size, certainly better than Heathrow and with the exception of the high ceilings they are definitely just like living rooms. I can assure you there will be no plinky plonk jazz in our room unless specifically asked for.

Crustyloafer

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Edinburgh, , United
That list of exhibitors is not entirely correct. There are at least two listed on there I know will not be exhibiting. It looks like they have listed all those who expressed an interest in exhibiting but decided not to. Sevenoaks Edinburgh (My shop) will not be there and also Linn I'm fairly certain are not exhibiting either. I think the uptake of rooms was not as good as the organisers had hoped and now they are trying to make it look like it will be busier than it actually is.

U

Umberto

Just got back from the show. Not really impressed with 3/4 of the exhibitors.

Best exhibitors IMHOwhere Shadow Audio which had on show the Art emotions with clearaudio turntable and some fancy amplification. The emotions sounded just as good as i remember them. Also quite impressed with the Audio with Vision room where they had a Roksan turntablewith Roksan amplification and monoblocks into JM focal lab standmounts. Very mellow sounding and although not quite the same resolution as the emotions very listenable.

Worst sounds cam from the Arcam and Monitor Audio rooms closely followed by the quadraspire roomwho had a set of JM fodcal lab standmounts with accuphase electronics. Bright sounding is not the word.

Was dissapointed with the Audionote room too as well as the Vivid room withChord electronics. Think it was the speakersthat were the problem here although they were by no means the worst i heard.

Linn room sounded good in 2 channel mode but bloody awful in 5.1. Dave will be pleased to hear that the Tannoy Kensingtonsaquitted themselves well in the Tannoy dem room.

Naim room was closed.

Crustyloafer

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Edinburgh, , United
As it turns out, Linn were there, obviously I am working on duff information. All in all very disappointing, only one or two demos made me stay for a bit longer, and the Art Emotions were one of them.

U

Umberto

Sony6million wrote:

Umberto Vanni wrote: Naim room was closed.

How come?
Apparently they were waiting for a stand for the plasma screen they were using for the AV dem.

Sid and Coke

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2005
nr St Andrews, Fife,
Well fella's, i decided not to bother in the end, even though I've had the website bookmarked since last year.

I suppose one of the main reasons that i wanted to go was to compare my own home Hi_fi with the best that the dealers had to offer, just to see how far off the pace i was with my mainly budget equipment. As far as Vinyl is concerned I'm not too unhappy with my system and get an awful lot of pleasure from it. I think that things can be improved quite dramatically on the CD front though....

I have a pretty good idea of what i want to do with my Hi-Fi in the immediate future, and i can't imagine that my mind would have been swayed too much from it's intended direction.

Another reason for wanting to go was to buy a few records off diverse vinyl, who always seem such likeable , knowledgable chaps , when i've spoken to them before. No worries though, my e-bay watching page is full of records that i've got my eye on so not such a bad loss.

It would have been great to meet up and put faces to names, however Saturday was a no go for me anyway, due to various different reasons.

Maybe next year, especially if it swings over Edinburgh way again....

G

To be honest I feel if you did'nt make it you did not miss too much. There were some good points the Promo girls at the Shadow room :phot hot hot!!! and some bad ones, the price of coffee, the Naim room
biggrin.png

Highlights for me were the Shadow Audio room and probably the Audio with vison room. Shadow had on dem the Art emotions (no intro needed) with Gamut Pre/Power and a Clearaudio TT / Wadia front end. I have heard this before at the shop and quite like the CDP but having heard the TT brifely it shows how good a source vinyl still is.

The Audio with Vison room had the Roksan xseres (correct spelling?) TT on show and it was nice! I have dealt with Robert who runs this shop before and he is a nice chap to deal with. It was a shame that the Peter Gabriel album his mate put on for me was knackered, even more so as it was brand new, poor guy:(It was Just as my foot was tapping to Salsbury hill, still some nice sounds heard in there.

As usual there were some poorly put together rooms, I accept that the acoustics can be challenging but one room in particular was awfull. The Audiocraft room. Now I went in and within 10 seconds my mate and I were looking at each other thinking that a playgroup had set up a little "band" using tin pots for drums! Kinda bad when you consider the price tags on some of the kit, which buy the way I never looked at as I was running for the door!

I also find the attitude of some reps pretty poor too. A few were happy to chat and give info on kit and music whilst others must know every inch of the carpet in that hotel as all they did was stare at it!

The Loud and clearboys were constantly playing Pink floyd on DVD (now I love floyd) but it sounded terrible. I went in later and listened to the Moon electronics and Focal JmLab speakers which really did not impress at the price. They struggled to offer any imaging even slightly off center and it sounded like some one was pushing the soundstage to the floor.

The facilties here are much better than in Edinburgh having been there last year. The rooms are bigger and the corridors and comunual areas are better too. This coupled to the fact it is in a city centre next to a main railhead make it ideal to commute to if you fancy a few beers, lets face it all hi-fi sounds better after a few anyway!

All in all not a bad day out but like I say you are not missing much. Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles