Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2006
UK
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Currently using the built in phono board in my ADSM Katalyst.. with my Adikt, planning move to Krystal, then flip the board over for MC.... is the built in stage up to the job or should I consider a separate phono stage? For example how would the Rega Fono compare?

JWT

Wammer
Apr 13, 2020
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I really like my Lejonklou Entity phono stage (I used the ADSM internal prior to that) with my LP12. It made a huge difference, one of the best upgrades I have made for the money, highly recommended.

9designs

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2006
UK
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Was wondering if something more affordable would be an improvement or not over the internal board.

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I don't think you will find an inexpensive phono stage that is better than the built in one. The Rega Fono MM or MC would not be a step up. I also wouldn't bother upgrading until you go MC as dual purpose phono stages just aren't as good as separate MC or MM ones unless they have two separate stages inside and are quite expensive (like the Uphorik, which still isn't up to the level of the Lejonklou Slipsik 8 [or 7.1] on the MM section nor to the Entity 1.2 on the MC section).

As StellanH mentions the only really good budget option for MC is the Linto, which is quite good but not in the league of the Lejonklou Entity 1.2.

Reactions: Nopiano

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a Rega Fono II before I bought my AKDSM, and when I found the MM board sounded more open I sold the Fono. (As I don’t play records much now, and only use a modest Shure I can’t advise on the next step for a MC. However, I’d imagine you need to budget at least as much for the step up as the cartridge).

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would say use the built in Akurate DSM MC stage and see how you like it. I used it briefly (with a Krystal before the Urika II was fitted). I thought it performed quite nicely. I had a Linto at the time, but really didn't see the need to compare. Word here is that Linto could be slightly better, but not worth spending money on as an improvement.

Roonster111

New Wammer
Dec 30, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used the ASH inboard card for a while with a Krystal before reverting back to my old Linto which IMHO was far more musical.

Word of caution, it quickly became apparent that the Linto was of an age that it needed a service...

Although I never tried the Linto in my own system post service (I had gone U2 in the meantime),refreshed, it sounded fantastic in my father's system.

9designs

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2006
UK
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all the feedback, so bottom line is then the built in phono stage is quite good, which is great news as I'll use that for now and not fret about it.

Upstream, well that's whole new posting on it own!! Which I may do, as it's my 2nd system LP12. The main one is Klimax level bar a Karousel and Radikal2 update.

This deck is my engineering test bed. In as much I've been designing and making various mods for it. It's pretty difficult to compare to my main deck when one has a Kandid the other an Adikt. So I plan to pick up a Krystal so at least I can then plug them easily into the same set up for comparing. The arm is an Ekos2, so ideal for a MC/Krystal I think into the ADSM.

9designs

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2006
UK
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well after a weekend of switch stuff around comparing the two decks, have to say the phono stage in the ADSM is performing well. Probably leaves me a little disappointed in the Urika.
Krystal cart is a little gem, stands up well to my Kandid.

Reactions: JWT and Coalboy68

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles