What position did you play for you school sports teams?

whizzkid

I told you it wasn't important
Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Believe of not, Chubbs here was sporty as a kid, yeah I know what the feck happened?

Football - Centre Forward

Rugby - #8 (thats the back of the scrum for those not in the know)

Cricket - 3 bat and mainly outfield positions (can never remember the bonkers names though), could throw long, catch good and was a pretty quick runner.

G

American football, usually 'Running back'.

I was really quick over the 100 meter sprint (in the top 3) so tended to run this on sports days, sometimes the 200 though I didn't like it as much, always ran the 4 x 100mtrs relay.....

I was pretty handy at Discus and Shot put despite my build (had good technique apparently!).

G

Left Back.

Left back in the changing room, ba-bum!

Didn't help having a sado masochistic sport teacher & being blind as a bat.

Feckin useless at school sports, but went on to play squash, skiing, scuba diving, later.

Whoever you are, age, build, disability, there's a sport* out there for you.

*drinking is not a sport

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Left back for school, left wing for club.

Had followed Bobby Charlton's advice; he was - like me - RIGHT footed, but worked on his left foot a lot to balance.

I spent months kicking Left footed - badly! - until it came right.

Still have my Blazer with 'Football' 'Colours' on it -was I really that small?

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
Football - N/A (effing useless)

Hockey - Right wing

Rugby - Either wing, later No.8 (by coincidence) - proper rugby that is, i.e. union.

Cricket - batted no.6, quick 20s or a duck - no finesse at all, hopeless off spinner, lazy slip or gulley fielder - brave but stupid.

Tug-of-war - anchor man for uni, on account of my balletic physique.

June

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2008
Transylancashire
AKA
Morris Karloff
Football @ primary school - centre forward, centre mid, left back and finally goalkeeper; I was rubbish in all positions but the PE teacher was always desperate to find 11 players on a Saturday.

Football @ secondary - left wing (right on!)

Rugby - usually somewhere in defence

Hated cricket. Did fencing instead.

S

s2000db

Goalie/wicket keeper, I was mostly covered in bruises lol..

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Rugby second row. Mostly carried off after first tackle.

Cricket bowled medium pace swing (on windy damp days) and batted 10.

Shooting. Captain of Bisley full bore team.

We weren't allowed a football. Round ball banned by Scots HM as unmanly.

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
I was too cool to associate with the sportists at school, though I did play table tennis in the Cheshire B league for the YMCA until the coach started getting rather too hands on with some of the boys...

After that us punk rock types got very good at bunking off and drinking cider in the park or on Chester rows, where we were adept at spitting onto old lady's hats.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I played left back once in the school football team. I was good enough to have been a permanent fixture but was 'unpopular' amongst the elite.

I was rather more succesful playing on the wing most of the 3 years we played rugby union at my school.

I ran 400 metres in the atheletics team (always 3rd fastest in my year, top 2 got to run 100 and 200).

Most of my sporting acheivements have been as an adult.

TheMinimalCriminal

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2010
Villereal, France
AKA
Jon
Rugby - Tight Head

Cricket - Offensively middle order batsman. No orthodoxy to speak of but could clobber the ball fairly hard for my age. Leg break spin bowling.

Hockey - Left wing. Did dally with playing in goal but got annoyed with wearing all the clobber.

Nowadays, walking from my chair to the toilet in order to piss or defecate is about as good as it gets.

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
football - mainly right back but frequently right winger

water polo - mainly offense on the right side (due to me being left handed) but sometimes offense in the centre

All my other sporting achievements were not team sports - was quite a good 1500m swimmer often getting gold at school, was a reasonable 1500m runner but not quite good enough to get a medal, was a reasonable cross-country runner, getting a bronze once and often finshing 4th at school

hificricketboy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2008
W Midlands
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Football - Another left back although my final appearance in a competitive football match at secondary school was left midfield.

Cricket - Middle order batter when I was young and medium pace swing bowler - started keeping wicket and opening the batting in my early 20s. I now (20 years later!) bat anywhere in the top 5 or 6, bowl off spin once every 1 to 2 years and keep wicket when the young ones aren't up to it! Still playing first team cricket but not really fit enough any more...

Rugby - sat on the sofa - far too much contact for my liking (not that cricket balls are soft :doh: ).

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
"We weren't allowed a football. Round ball banned by Scots HM as unmanly."

Yes!

When I went to different school to do 'A' levels, they were Rugger-only!

BUT.....by time I'd left, as a 100% Footballer!- I/we had a Football competition sorted out!

Must have been an annoying little.......? but it worked!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online