New Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Paris
AKA
Jean-Thomas
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello everybody,

I use to have a Majik aktiv system with a Majik DSM/2 , 2 Majik 4100 and Majik 140 speakers.
It was an absolutely brilliant system and i enjoyed it a lot but now i just want some change and a passive, more simple system based on the Majik DSM and the Majik speakers

I am selling my amps and looking for a new amplification. I know I should go for Akurate amplification but i am not sure i will like it a lot.
I have already heard an Akurate 2200 paired with a Majik DSM and although it was really good, I thought something was missing from the rythmic spirit of the Majik DSM. I am looking for advices and suggestions for other power amps matching well with Majik DSM or Linn DSM in general (my Linn dealer in Paris told me about Moon amplification, I have read on the old Linn forum a review of a Majik DSM with Classe Audio and have read a lot of good things about Lejonklou Tundras ).

Thanks ;-)

Jtx

Last edited by a moderator:

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would take a look at a second-hand Klimax Twin (with Dynamik) or a Lejonklou Tundra Stereo. Since you're going from active to passive, the poweramp needs to be a lot better than the current ones. What would make a lot more sense though, is to upgrade the source to an Akurate DSM Katalyst and keep the 4100's and 140's...

Jtx

New Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Paris
AKA
Jean-Thomas
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you Tendaberry ,

I can not afford a katalyst Akurate DSM nor a Selekt DSM. I have had my Majik DSM for a year now and i am happy with it. 

Besides, if i sold it or trade it now, i would loose a huge amount of money.  I paid it 3900 euros last year, and its value on the 2nd hand market would hardly reach1800/2000 euros i guess, as the official price of the Majik DSM has been dropped twice in a year.

I will watch for a pre owned Klimax twin though. 

;-)

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I never did a comparison between majik aktiv or klimax twin/other high level amp, but I'm quite puzzeld with your decsicion... You talk about you missed something  rhytmic when played on the 2200, this is passive I assume? 

Did you already sell everything?

phino

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There were a few posts on the old Linn Forum about the x100 amps vs x200 amps where it was thought the x100 amps were a bit more lively, eager to please whilst the x200 were thought of as more laid back and relaxed in presentation - maybe that's what you're hearing and prefer the more eager x100?

Jtx

New Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Paris
AKA
Jean-Thomas
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I never did a comparison between majik aktiv or klimax twin/other high level amp, but I'm quite puzzeld with your decsicion... You talk about you missed something  rhytmic when played on the 2200, this is passive I assume? 

Did you already sell everything?
Yes, it was a passive Akurate. I just was underwhelmed by it. I mean the sound was beautiful, but the fun was gone.

I still have my Majik amps and for the moment I have one playing in passive bi-amp and i prefer it to the Akurate I have heard.

For sure, it is not active Majik, but still, it is very very good , especially for rock.

Jtx

New Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Paris
AKA
Jean-Thomas
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There were a few posts on the old Linn Forum about the x100 amps vs x200 amps where it was thought the x100 amps were a bit more lively, eager to please whilst the x200 were thought of as more laid back and relaxed in presentation - maybe that's what you're hearing and prefer the more eager x100?
Yes, that is exactly what i feel. And although i like the Majik amps way of convey music, i am looking for a step up with a little more grunt and punch

phino

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, that is exactly what i feel. And although i like the Majik amps way of convey music, i am looking for a step up with a little more grunt and punch
Well, I went from Aktive 4100 to a Twin passive and thought it was a huge improvement.  But the Twin is also quite laid-back so you should probably see of you can get a home demo somehow if you're still on the lookout for one. 

The problem is getting to listen to the options, but it's the only way really.

Jtx

New Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Paris
AKA
Jean-Thomas
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had this option in mind for a while but i want a more simple , easy going system .

And although i like Linn very much, i don't want to be bound again for years to this brand  B|

MagicRat

Wammer
Oct 12, 2018
I was using my Majik actively in quite a large room and also thought the amplification wasn’t quite doing the job - something about its (to my ears anyway) leanness. Ended up strapping on a pair of Roksan Caspian M1 monoblocks. They’re only rated 100wpc compared to the Majik’s 90, but the difference was considerable. Much more drive and presence of the sound. It became a system I really wanted to sit and spend time with, rather than one that was merely good.

Jtx

New Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Paris
AKA
Jean-Thomas
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was using my Majik actively in quite a large room and also thought the amplification wasn’t quite doing the job - something about its (to my ears anyway) leanness. Ended up strapping on a pair of Roksan Caspian M1 monoblocks. They’re only rated 100wpc compared to the Majik’s 90, but the difference was considerable. Much more drive and presence of the sound. It became a system I really wanted to sit and spend time with, rather than one that was merely good.
Thanks, i do not know this brand. I will dig this option.

What about Naim - there yoou get at lot of live
Thank you but i have been advised not to combine Linn pre and Naim amps. Have you listen to this combinaison ?

Another option may be to replace the two M4100 with one Akurate/Majik Exaktbox-I.
I have already answered you but i have been also advised by my dealer to go this way. As i told , i would like to simplify my system but i have few questions about this Exaktbox.

Does it imply necessarily a dealer installation or could i set it up by myself ?  Do I need special cabling ? (i have already 4 sets ok K400).

I ask theses questions because i see Majik Exaktboxes on the seconhand market and their value seems really low (around 2800 euros - nearly half the price new ) and i wonder why.

At this price, it could finally be an option for me ... 

Charly

Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
Baden-Württemberg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I assume that your DSM is a model with Exakt. That is a prerequisite for using the Majik Exaktbox-I. Related to the Majik Exaktbox-I: 

No special cabling needed (current k400 will work as they have the required length as the M4100 may be closer to our speakers). Only special cable required is a standard Ethernet cable to link the DSM and the MajikExaktbox  for a few Euros.

It is not yet clear if the current Majik Exaktbox can be upgraded to Katalyst in the future. To be on the save side it may be better to go for a new Akurate Exaktbox-I model (same price as the Majik Exaktbox-I) providing the future Katalyst upgrade option as far as i know.  

WRG

New Wammer
Dec 1, 2018
You could sell one 4100 and Aktiv cards, return speakers to passive and use the bridging links that come with the 4100 to make it two channels.

kelly200269

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I really am scratching my head about this thread? What is the point?

The OP starts by staying how much he loves his system? If so, then why disassemble it and break it up? Nuts, if you ask me. I run a very similar system, and wouldn’t change anything for the world. 

If the OP is insistent on changing, just hook the DSM passively to the 140’s. BUT it probably won’t be a patch on Aktiv 140’s.

Jtx

New Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Paris
AKA
Jean-Thomas
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, 

I wanted to change because i was fed up with the cables, the careful positionning ... anyway, i just wanted to change and without being disrespectful, the reason why should not be an issue nor your problem ;-)

I am now the happy owner of a Lejonklou Tundra 2.5 and it is to my ears as least much better than active Majik.

There is the slam I was looking for , with the sparkle and delicacy of the the aktiv amps. The sound is a bit different, a bit warmer , and I am rediscovering my whole music library.

It is a beautiful match  :eek:j:

Reactions: MickC

Jtx

New Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Paris
AKA
Jean-Thomas
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
and thank you very much everybody for your contributions and advices !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles