kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
Dear Wigwam users

I'm in a bit of a pickle with regards to my current compulsion to upgrade my amplification.....

Generally, I am still enjoying my current amp, but have this irresistible urge to upgrade (must...up...grrrade...ca..n't..ressiiistttttt). This is where it gets tricky. I love valves, really love valves, however I've seen some used solidstate kit for sale by Audio Synthesis that I would really like, and at a very good price. It's either this, or buy the Icon Audio 300B valve amp that's caught my eye. The Audio Synthesis kit is a 'Desire Decade' power amp and their passive 'Passion' pre amp. I'm very impressed with the phonostage I own by them already, they don't mess about. This kit will no doubt synergise well with my phonostage.

I don't know if I should sit tight, forget everything and just enjoy my music as it is, very relaxed and easy going on the ear, or throw caution to the wind and try something new.

My friends and wife tell me that my system sounds nice as it is and that I should should get a grip, having only just recently adding the Orbe/Tecnoarm/Audio Synthesis Passion phonostage to my arsenal.

I don't know what to do as I think the wife is eying up some exotic holiday somewhere for next year. She won't say anything as she knows that I like my music and my toys.

What to do....

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
don't buy anything just becuase it 'looks like a bargin' is my advice. Make sure you can hear it first, especially at the price/performance level to match the Orbe.

You should seriously consider Mr Coherent's Minimax pre, I'm sure you could get a demo somewhere. That along with a nice chunky solid state power amp, maybe some class D stuff like JJ's NuForce (he's a valve man isn't he?) would be awesome.

If you are going to upgrade, demo demo and demo some more. Otherwise just buy some good music, take the wife on holiday somewhere nice, that sort of thing is almost as good as buying a new amp anyway
wink.png
biggrin.png
!

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
I would be demo'ing the kit first before I part with my money, there is no doubt about it. As I've said, if the phonstage I've got is anything to go by, these other bits should be really quite good....

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
catching this upgrading bug isnt it
biggrin.png
:D:D I suspect that now youve caught it you wont be happy until you get another fix... If the kit is s/h and you can buy it at the right price you can always move it on again if it doesnt work out...

Hawk

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
I think you need to upgrade more than your amplifier, how about the wife as well.... you need the model that never stops you upgrading
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
Don't worry Dave, she prints herself "shoe vouchers" every time I buy new kit. They're everywhere. When they start to appear at strategic placeson the stairs etc I'll get worried....

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
kingsxfan, it depends if you have lots of money. If you have lots of money then you should buy things. Otherwise, if you don't have lots of money,then you shouldn't buy things. That is what I think. I hope it is helps.

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
notaclue wrote:

kingsxfan, it depends if you have lots of money. If you have lots of money then you should buy things. Otherwise, if you don't have lots of money,then you shouldn't buy things. That is what I think. I hope it is helps.
Not particularly flush mate, far from it. Maybe I should run at the wall head first and hope thatIforget that I like hifi when I come out of my coma.

G

if you have a sound that you enjoy STICK WITH IT thats my opinion, i have been down that so called upgrade route many times ,only to end a lot poorer and disatisfied with my purchase.

if you must spend some money do it wisely, listen first and try to buy second hand. most of the stuff i have was second hand ,at half the new price. and if you find you don't like it you can nearly always get your money back again.

or failing that upgrade the wife to one that don't nag!

the only thing out of my kit that was bought new ,was the cartridge and plasma.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
kingsxfan wrote:

notaclue wrote:
Not particularly flush mate, far from it. Maybe I should run at the wall head first and hope thatIforget that I like hifi when I come out of my coma.
I did that. Cured me it did. Without so much as a by your leave.

Mind you, I also lost the ability to tell when I needed the toilet.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

ditton

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 11, 2005
Edinburgh, ,
I agree that AS know what they are about, as my sig. attests. However, for what its worth, I was warned off the desire decade as an amp, but I have had lots of praise for the passive pre.

a lot depends of the price of course - it always does, if only to assess options for selling on.

U

Umberto

kingsxfan wrote:

Maybe I should run at the wall head first and hope thatIforget that I like hifi when I come out of my coma.
Maybewhen youcome out of the coma you will find that Linn and Naim have resorted to making MP3 players andvinyl isonly being used to make plastic bags,

Oh yeah and SS has died due to oatmeal poisoning and tonedefhas become amoderator.

:sw:

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
kingsxfan wrote:

What to do....
Upgrade your mains cable.... hahahahahaha :force:

But seriously, sounds like you already have a fantastic set-up. How much was the Audio Synthesis combo? Would it be better to upgrade the speakers if you're looking at future valve amps? Would there be other small things you could tweak like your TT that wouldn't cost money? A vacuum cleaner for your vinyl (Okki Nokki)?

Seriously, I wouldn't rush into an "upgrade" just because something is on offer. People tend to get stung that way.

JJ

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
kingsxfan wrote:

Then you shouldn't buy things. Your idea about running into a wall sounds very bad. I would strongly recommend against this.

Instead, you must realise that most hi-fi actually sounds more or less the same. Upgrading is pointless if you don't realise this -you'll just want to upgrade again later.

Buy a couple of CDs. I am assuming you are a fan of the heavy metal band Kings X? If so, I am also assuming you have all the early, Ozzy period Black Sabbath? If you tell me that you are contemplating buying a new amp but do not own all of early Black Sabbath then that is just madness. If you spend a couple of minutes contemplating the absurdity of such a situation then I think you will no longer want a new amp.

Colin^

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Hamilton, , NZ.
Borrow a nice Valve Amp.

Turn down the lights.

Put on some sweet romantic stuff valves to best.

Make love you your wife in the same room.

Then suggest you upgrade to Valves for your sex life.

The wife may just throw you in a car, give you the Visa card and say go buy!!

G

notaclue wrote:

kingsxfan wrote:
Then you shouldn't buy things. Your idea about running into a wall sounds very bad. I would strongly recommend against this.

Instead, you must realise that most hi-fi actually sounds more or less the same. Upgrading is pointless if you don't realise this -you'll just want to upgrade again later.

Buy a couple of CDs. I am assuming you are a fan of the heavy metal band Kings X? If so, I am also assuming you have all the early, Ozzy period Black Sabbath? If you tell me that you are contemplating buying a new amp but do not own all of early Black Sabbath then that is just madness. If you spend a couple of minutes contemplating the absurdity of such a situation then I think you will no longer want a new amp.
may i ask what system you have notaclue as your suggestion that all hifi sounds the same is a bit harsh. there is some real shit products out there you know?

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
may i ask what system you have notaclue as your suggestion that all hifi sounds the same is a bit harsh. there is some real shit products out there you know?
He is not allowed to say, if he tells you he would have to kill you :dude:

Also try to leave the word "Shit" out of posts to notaclue you might start him off
wink.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles