Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No idea what it's called but I've got a connector block with four of them from the early 90s and it's a great space saver in the second system (y)

Reactions: bigrod and Tony_J

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s called a conblock connector.
It’s a miniature mains plug and socket arrangement.
Not sure how compliant it is depending where you are.
Certainly wouldn’t put it anywhere near the Hi Fi.:eek:

Last edited:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No idea what it's called but I've got a connector block with four of them from the early 90s and it's a great space saver in the second system (y)
I'm not sure they ever had a proper name, but that's exactly the use for them: a compact multi-way extension block.

Reactions: bigrod

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's probably not modern compliant, but it is to British Standard. The design means the earth pin connects before the others. The non-compliant bit is that the sockets aren't shuttered. IIRC, the socket is part shrouded, so the pins are covered when they're live and not fully inserted, so safe enough.

Reactions: uzzy and bigrod

britishcomposers

britishcomposers
Wammer
Nov 8, 2017
Shaftesbury, Dorset
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
We sold them by the bucket-load in Peter Jones and John Lewis in the Radio & Television department where I ran the dem rooms in the early 90's. The advantage being size, but not particularly safe, given that it relied upon people's abilities in adhering toward carefully preparing the wire-stripping to correct lengths, twisting and folding back the copper strands and ensuring the cable clamp was gripping sufficiently the outer flex. The plugs themselves could sometimes slide out of the block. Nasty, plus no fuses, but I suppose that's a plus for elevating it to audiophile status now. Is there going to be a run on these now then?!

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We sold them by the bucket-load in Peter Jones and John Lewis in the Radio & Television department where I ran the dem rooms in the early 90's. The advantage being size, but not particularly safe, given that it relied upon people's abilities in adhering toward carefully preparing the wire-stripping to correct lengths, twisting and folding back the copper strands and ensuring the cable clamp was gripping sufficiently the outer flex. The plugs themselves could sometimes slide out of the block. Nasty, plus no fuses, but I suppose that's a plus for elevating it to audiophile status now. Is there going to be a run on these now then?!
I guesss they're not ideal for more challenged DIYers, but they seem safe enough to me for light use. The lack of fuse in the plug is a bit of a non-issue since there's a 5 amp fuse in the conn-block itself I recall, and the illustrated one seems to have a 6 amp rating printed on it (not sure mine has that rating in truth). Certainly not a high current solution, the pins aren't too large, and maybe best consigned to the dustbin of history for the reasons you give, but I'm glad I've got one - the wiring is tight enough in the second system and if I had a proper 13A extension socket there's be no room for the amp!

Nifkin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2019
Highgate London
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I remember those from back in the 90s. I then completely forgot about them, but they occured to me a couple of years back as being a great space-saving solution for hifi system, so went I looking, but they didn't seem to be available anymore. It's a shame that no-one has come up with an up-to-date compliant version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online