Linn Owners

What Speakers and Amps

Tastie

New Wammer
Oct 21, 2018
Hi all, 

Firstly sorry if I offend anyone with my lack of hi-fi knowledge, I love my music especially my old vynil collection which I have held onto for the last 40 years. When CD’s came in I picked up a lovely Linn LP12 but have never done it the proper justice playing it through a little project pre amp, Nad 340c and Mission 702 speakers. Realistically is it possible to pair the LP12 with Amps and Speakers with a £1000 budget? If so what could you recommend and what improvement could I expect.?

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, of course you can combine the LP12 with amp and speakers for about £ 1.000,- In that price range I would recommend a second-hand Linn Majik DSM and that you keep your current speakers. The DSM comes with a very good phono stage, so you could sell the Pro-Ject. It also includes a streamer, in case you don't have one. Later I would exchange speakers for som Linn Ninkas or Majik 140's.

One could also argue, that your £ 1.000,- would be more well spent on upgrading the LP12 and keeping the NAD and Mission speakers. What spec is the LP12?

Tastie

New Wammer
Oct 21, 2018
Hi really appreciate your reply.

The arm is an ITTOK LV ll with an Ortifon cartridge which is red with an ‘m’ on the side,  can’t be more specific sorry.   

Ive had a look at DSM’s on eBay, seem to go for for a bit over the £1000 but if that covers the pre-amp then a good solution as I haven’t considered streaming either. 

Could you recommend where to look other than eBay

Fraser

Tastie

New Wammer
Oct 21, 2018
I am sold on the DSM and with the bonus of streaming then happy to increase the budget.

I take it my LP12 is up to par and no improvement needed there with arm/cartridge. 

Speakers I’ll update later once I’ve sneaked the DSM under the ‘wife radar’.

Again appreciate the advice and links as I am a novice.

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Definitely agree to stretch to the DSM/DSi. You never know, you may find streaming so good the LP12 could become.... less used? Certainly the case for me (although not an LP12, my modest Rega is really just a dust gatherer these days).

As for the LP12 stuff, best place to ask would be the LP12 forum ;)

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am sold on the DSM and with the bonus of streaming then happy to increase the budget.

I take it my LP12 is up to par and no improvement needed there with arm/cartridge. 

Speakers I’ll update later once I’ve sneaked the DSM under the ‘wife radar’.

Again appreciate the advice and links as I am a novice.
From your description, your cartridge is an Ortofon 2M red, which is a decent basic cartridge. Fortunately it can be upgraded by simply changing the stylus: blue, bronze and black would be the steps. The Blue would already be a nice upgrade for around GBP 126,-

Last edited by a moderator:

Tastie

New Wammer
Oct 21, 2018
Hi Tendaberry,

Managed to get myself a Majik DSM 1 from a very helpful eBay’r in Germany and I am delighted with the quality of sound. Realy loving the old vinyl getting a new lease of life from when it was first spun on an old Technics Turntable and my grandfathers Leak amplifier. It’s just a whole new feeling with the detail that hadn’t been picked up before.

As for streaming, I’m doing it via Spotify and have to say Timster’s got a fair point it’s pretty dam good but can’t break the attachement from my records.

Thanks for your great advice, really appreciated.

Fraser

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Tendaberry,

Managed to get myself a Majik DSM 1 from a very helpful eBay’r in Germany and I am delighted with the quality of sound. Realy loving the old vinyl getting a new lease of life from when it was first spun on an old Technics Turntable and my grandfathers Leak amplifier. It’s just a whole new feeling with the detail that hadn’t been picked up before.

As for streaming, I’m doing it via Spotify and have to say Timster’s got a fair point it’s pretty dam good but can’t break the attachement from my records.

Thanks for your great advice, really appreciated.

Fraser
If you like Spotify, try QoBuz or Tidal. They both have free trials. You'll be amazed (especially QoBuz Studio - HiRes streaming free for a month? No brainer!)

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree, very pleased with QoBuz Studio
So am I. But.... I find I am hardly using it. I'm more inclined to my own collection and for the price, that's two HiRes or three CD albums a month that I could add to it. Except on new music Fridays, and even then there's not often much I'm interested in and I could find that out with free Spotify.

Hmmm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tester123