What's a good app for the iphone to measure frequency response?

killie99

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 12, 2011
Kilmarnock
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone got any first hand experience of using an iphone app to measure their room response? I've used a XTZ analyser but was wondering if there is something just as good (or better) for the iphone?

flapland

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 17, 2007
Hampstead, London UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are a few apps including AudioTools by Studio Six digital which a whole range of in app purchase modules. I have used just the very basic SPL meter using the inbuilt iPhone mic, to get a decent set of readings you will need a decent mike and some way of connecting to the iPhone. Suspect someone who has taken this to this level will be along soon.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The main issue with any such ap is the internal microphone. To do any sort of measurement, one needs a calibrated omni-directional microphone and preferably separate from the measuring unit as the microphone has to present a small area if reflections are to be avoided. This is why measuring microphones are long and thin. I really wouldn't bother to use a 'phone for such things, either get the Radio Shack SPL meter, which is god enough for setting up loudspeakers or a proper measuring mic and software, of which there's a fair amount of choice, even Freeware like ARTA or REW.

S

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, a hard cock is much better as a measuring device. I wouldn't be without my pink ruler.

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
Barnevelder_Cockerel1.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles