What's a Raspberry Pi Streamer Worth?

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They wouldn't get my business if they thought that pulling a fast one was o.k. The guy that 'does' the figures will like it when one is ordered though.

slavedata

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2009
Bottesford Melton
AKA
Dave Slater
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, in the link, it reports that the rpi is being used as an "internet gateway device".

So relax ;)

ronnie
That's exactly what the Pi always does. So all they really add is their DAC and a bought in switched power supply. Oh don't forget the lovely case milled out of a large lump of aluminium.

• Upvote
Reactions: greybeard

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is the £1.5k Holo Red:

7LTqARB.jpg

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And the Pro-Ject Box S2:

1mkmtSY.png

It's not that uncommon...
I have a Stack Link with a CM3 Pi compute module very similar to the Pro-Ject above, and an Allo USBridge Signature which also uses a CM3. I think it is easier to optimize the power supply with the compute modules than it is when you use a full blown Pi.

Reactions: tuga

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just an addendum to this subject, pretty much any streamer built more recently is designed around a compute module of some type. Our familiarity with the Raspberry Pi module and the low cost of the SBC evaluation board makes us somewhat cynical but it is a sensible way to do things because failed memory or storage doesn’t result in a dead streamer. Open up your flagship Lumin U2 or even one of the Eversolo streamers and you will find a compute module at its heart. Just not one you are so familiar with.
Oh, and the Holo Red isn‘t 1.5k. It’s around half that and can literally run any software designed to run on a Raspberry Pi platform.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpeg
    IMG_0015.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: bobovox

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles