Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The prices new and the extra power supplies, oh and the stupid DIN plugs or BNC.
Yes, though the non-standard sockets seem to have pretty much disappeared now - thankfully.

Regarding prices, I wonder if the dealer margin is higher than with most brands as the brand seems to be offered by huge numbers of big dealerships. And salesmen seem to want their customers to buy Naim.

Perhaps also, once you've bought a Naim device, you'll soon learn that its sound quality isn't what you'd hoped for and Naim has an (expensive) answer in a separate power supply. Why didn't they fit a proper supply in the first place? You end up of course with 2 power supplies - the original one in the device now unused!

Although I've been tempted with some of their products (they have a product for every customer's wish list!), I've managed to avoid an actual purchase and intent to hold on to this record!

Last edited:
Reactions: hiesteem

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to add that some of the current Naim products are rather good. The SuperNait 3 sounded really good to my ears as did the NDX5X2. But when my dealer told me that a lot of Naim products suffer from hum I passed.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to add that some of the current Naim products are rather good. The SuperNait 3 sounded really good to my ears as did the NDX5X2. But when my dealer told me that a lot of Naim products suffer from hum I passed.
I bet you can solve those PSU noise issues (which according to Stereophile are due to the toroidals) by buying one of their external supplies.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never had any, nor heard any or had any desire to try Niam, Naim, Ianm, Amin, Mani or whatever they are called these days.
Connectors, power supplies, and all the green lights would drive me mad.

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I liked Naim had pre/hi cap/power amp sounded great with Linn LP12 ,dropped out of HiFi for a few years but came back and decided on Linn set up maybe slightly warmer sound than Naim but both companies make great sounding kit imho

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bet you can solve those PSU noise issues (which according to Stereophile are due to the toroidals) by buying one of their external supplies.
Yes it is the toroidals.

Naim PSUs made it even worse; SuperCap and 555PS competed as to which could give me the greatest buzz. Naim advised dedicated power feed: did it: no change. Tried potential remedies from AirLink, Power Inspired and ISOL8 balanced mains with DC blocking - no luck (all returned after trial)

My dealer had the answer: trade it all in and go Linn. It worked … music sans buzz, Space Optimisation and no need to leave it powered up around the clock, what more could I want.

So now it’s Linn in lounge and Chord in home studio. I leave buzzing to bees that visit my garden. Of course, I can no longer pick up the free Czech radio station on my phono stage.

Still have 10 pieces of Naim kit that don’t buzz at all and very happy with - 10 Fraim shelves … 5 upstairs and 5 downstairs.

Really did try hard to solve the buzz and got help from Naim and patient dealers, but …. Two friends have Naim systems that sound great and have no discernible buzz.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never had any, nor heard any or had any desire to try Niam, Naim, Ianm, Amin, Mani or whatever they are called these days.
Connectors, power supplies, and all the green lights would drive me mad.
Surely if connectors and power supplies drive you mad, then you’re pretty much screwed no matter what hi-if component you pick? Unless it’s battery powered and Wi-Fi only, of course! ;)

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having seen measurements of several Naim speakers I wouldn't touch them with a pole.
That reminds me, now I’ve got all the bits, I really just get on with the restoration of the knackered SBLs I bought last year.

As I’m amongst friends in the Wam ‘safe space’, I feel I can stand up and say- “My name is Adam and I like SBLs”.

There - that felt cathartic!

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How on earth can a manufacturer with the pedigree (?) of Naim not design / build a properly functioning power supply ?
They told me the noisy transformers sounded better than the quiet ones … I would have willingly sacrificed a bit of SQ for no buzz.

This was 15 years ago so the problems may have gone. My daze of box swapping and trying this and that are in the past.

Last edited:

orbscure

My God, its full of stars...
Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That reminds me, now I’ve got all the bits, I really just get on with the restoration of the knackered SBLs I bought last year.

As I’m amongst friends in the Wam ‘safe space’, I feel I can stand up and say- “My name is Adam and I like SBLs”.

There - that felt cathartic!
I had to Google SBL's Adam... I'm clearly not worthy but every day is a school day on the WAM :)

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They told me the noisy transformers sounded better than the quiet ones … I would have willing sacrificed a bit of SQ for no buzz.

This was 15 years ago so the problems may have gone. My daze of box swapping and trying this and that are in the past.
No, some of their transformers still hum, two of mine do.

Reduced it considerably by using two IFI DC Blockers

DG…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online