When should you consider servicing your amp?

brystonian

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2012
Bedfordshire
AKA
Jim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Evening folks,

I've got a 1998 vintage Bryston B-60. I've had it about a year myself.

It provides amplification for the L/R channels of my AV set-up, as well as 2 channel listening. So probably gets about 2-7 hours use a day. It never gets driven hard. As I listen near field, and I don't think my Spendor A6's are a particularly tricky load?

It sounds fantastic to my ears. But then I never notice gradual declines, until it becomes obvious (Who's that fat guy in the mirror? Where's my hair?). And if it could sound even better then great.

When do you think I should be considering giving it to PMC for a check over?

Thanks. :)

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Put on a piece of music you know well and listen to it critcally, - concentrate!

If all sounds well then leave well alone. Remember you are sitting on a 20 year guarantee with Bryston.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would only service an item of electronics when it was no longer meeting specification. I have original stuff from the 70s that still have all the original components and still meet spec, so time is no guide to when something needs servicing. In the absence of test equipment, I suppose after 25 years,it might need looking at. It's much more common for things like switches and pots to get mechanically worn than for electronic components to go out of spec.

S

G

I've changed the filters (K & N) and poured in some fresh Castrol R.

:stereo:

cookiemonster

Wammer
New Wammer
Apr 14, 2010
, ,
for those who know: would you not have to open the thing to measure the bits are in spec? I have a 4BSST2 and can't remember where I read how to tell if it had some new capacitors.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
for those who know: would you not have to open the thing to measure the bits are in spec? I have a 4BSST2 and can't remember where I read how to tell if it had some new capacitors.
Firstly, by measuring the spec, I meant from input to output, so one wouldn't necessarily need to open the box. Only if it were out of spec on noise or distortion would it be necessary to get inside. Things like bias current can drift as can output DC offset depending on the design, but if the amp is still running cool and low level distortion (say at 1 watt) is within spec with no obvious nasties, then I'd leave it alone.

As to capacitors, if they are mounted on a printed circuit board, then new soldering is usually obvious visually although if done well, and the board cleaned properly of flux, it might be more difficult.

S.

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With solid state devices, there should be no need for servicing as such. As Serge says above, switches, connectors etc do wear out, as do valves.

The failure of most parts nowdays is either poor manufacturer, parts being operated near to the maximum ratings or contamination during manufacture. If you think of the Voyger space probe it had a design life of 3 years and 37 years later its still operating in a very hostile environment.

There is a similar thread on "tuner alighnment" about getting a tuner MOT.

If a manufacturer offers a "service" then its normally just an end to end electrical test (eg input to output) for things like gain and noise. It may include a visual inspection, and of course if the manufacturer has a history of known faults, they may well swop out those parts.

Companies like Quad are very proud of thier service department, and will repair anything they have ever made, where as a lot of other manufacturers look on it as a necessary evil and would prefer to wash thier hands of the product once the warrenty has expired. Also in some industries its not uncommon to have a policy of giving the customer a new product if its going to take more than 30 minutes to repair due to labour costs and difficulty working with surface mount components and re-testing the product.

Alan

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
1998? It's not even vintage yet, almost brand new!

Unless it starts to malfunction, which is another matter entirely, then I would leave it alone and enjoy listening to it.

:^

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When do you think I should be considering giving it to PMC for a check over?
When it exhibits one or more of the following symptoms:

(1) Distortion

(2) Hum

(3) Picking up LW radio

(4) Absence of one or more of the requisite number of channels

(5) Smoke

(6) Flames

Other than that, it will be fine.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As a rule electrolytics are expected to last 20-25 years before they drift beyond their rather generous operating specifications. They need to be used though, leaving them unused for periods of 6 months and more can result in impaired performance until they recover or increased risk of failure when switched back on. Other variables are heat. A very hot operating environment can and will shorten their optimum performance window. Switches and connectors are more obvious and it should be obvious when they need attention.

As stated above there are simple non intrusive ways of checking performance but I also have to add that anyone who did that sort of check without taking off the lid and doing a thorough visual inspection would be negligent in my view. You need to check condition of wiring, obvious signs of deterioration (bulging or venting and scorching) of components and the state of heat sinking compounds which can deteriorate over time. Before any of that I would PAT test the equipment and its cable. I would consider a check at the beginning of ownership. If from a dealer ask for a check, if purchased privately get it looked over by a service engineer of your choice. There shouldn't be any need to replace anything but if there is, the reasons should be clear. Out of spec, damaged or recommended by manufacturer. Replacements should be like for like. This is a check/service and not an 'upgrade'. The two are not connected and if you are being asked to consider boutique component replacements then I would want very good reasons why and demonstrably measureable and/or audible improvements.

• Upvote
Reactions: blackholesun

brystonian

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2012
Bedfordshire
AKA
Jim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks guys. :^

I'll stop worrying and spend the money on booze and music.

I'm sure my upgraditis will find a new way to manifest itself soon enough. :)

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
When I get amplifiers in for service I advise against replacing the main caps unless there are signs of a problem, or they are more than 30 years old and the owner wants to do so as a precaution.

Capacitance might drift a bit in a mechanically sound capacitor (ie no bulging or leaking) and so will ESR over the years, but it's only 'bad' if no longer good enough for the circuit.

Rising ESR is the main issue and it effectively puts more ripple onto the DC rails. If this becomes a problem you hear it as increased noise.

So my advice to owners of equipment where the capacitors look ok, there is no degradation in the noise from the loudspeakers and everything seems to work ok, is to leave well alone and just enjoy.

There are some exceptions which include hot running equipment and especially valve amplifier. In these cases parts can degrade more quickly.

Excessive heat and ripple are capacitor killers.

• Upvote
Reactions: Radioham

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes.

Enjoy safely your beautiful choices.

Some manufacturers suggest that you have them 'serviced' e.g. every 10 years.

So far, I have not kept an amp-combo for 10 years, but hope to reach that target in 2014. I shall not have them serviced if they seem fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles