Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have been very happy with this phono stage, which has performed well and been reliable. Whats the next step? Leaning towards valves again but welcome all suggestions, inc. valve kits.

Jack

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I went from P10 to a Audio Innovations P2. Budget allowing the Art Audio Vinyl One and Aurorasound Vida would be others to consider.

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jack,

if you wanted to borrow my art vinyl 1 Pm me. I have the turntable apart to finish off the plinth so no vinyl is being played at present.

I am not sure which cartridge you are using? Is it worth considering a SUT or better SUT as well?

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I went from the P10 with an L10 pre-amp to an Audio Note (UK) M5 Phono (pre with built-in phono stage.) Big upgrade. :^

julesd68

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2009
London
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I went from a P10 to a Conrad Johnson EV1 and can't imagine changing it now ...

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jack,if you wanted to borrow my art vinyl 1 Pm me. I have the turntable apart to finish off the plinth so no vinyl is being played at present.

I am not sure which cartridge you are using? Is it worth considering a SUT or better SUT as well?
I'm using the Pure Sound T10, JP. (Yes, I use MCs and thats not going to change unless its a Decca.)

The T10 will probably go with the P10 but I have a nice Partridge SUT ready to step into the breach.

Borrow Art Vinyl 1? Yes please!

Jack.

Thankyou everyone for your contributions..keep em coming..

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What cart are you using Jack? If MC, it's certainly a cheaper option to play around with a SUT into a MM stage. I'm doing this at the mo, and liking it.

Posted same time as you. Let us know how you get on with the Art. :^

voyduser

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2011
Ireland
AKA
Laurence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jack, I had a P10 and found it to be a great little phono stage. The Art Audio Vinyl One that I have now is better, but not hugely.

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Whilst the Art does come with built in MC transformers they are not that great (with my cartridge anyway) and bettered by one of the martha type partridge 1:6 SUTs.

I also think there are few different build specs of the Vinyl 1 with later models incorporating the Hovland capacitors as standard whereas the earlier ones didn't. ????? I am only speculating as people have commented on getting theirs upgraded to include the Hovlands which mine came with from new.

In my system going from a Kinshaw Perception and MC15 super mkii the upgrade to Lyra Dorian and the Partidge SUT made more difference than the phono stage to the Vinyl 1. It was noticeably better (maybe excluding the bass which IMHO the kinshaw really excels at).

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As Phil mentioned the AI P2 is a great phono stage but sadly rarely found for sale these days. I managed to get my hands on one earlier this year and am constantly surprised just how good it is. Although I'm using the internal phono on my Modwright pre I will certainly be hanging on to the P2.

It could also be worth considering a Leben too. The RS-30EQ seems to have a good rep. I've not heard one though.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Currently I'm using an Ortofon Cadenza Blue, with an AT33PTG as an alternative. I think my Partridge SUT might be from Martha via Montesquieu. Havent tried that yet;looks like I should give it a go against the T10.

J

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Currently I'm using an Ortofon Cadenza Blue, with an AT33PTG as an alternative. I think my Partridge SUT might be from Martha via Montesquieu. Havent tried that yet;looks like I should give it a go against the T10.J
Yes, do. :^

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
Tron Seven - superb phono stage.

I use a Noteworthy Phonote which is based on the Tron and it's the best phono stage I've ever owned (and I've owned quite a few!)

Lefty

greengoblin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 15, 2009
manchester
AKA
Leon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Jack what's your table and arm? Just thinking that vinyl replay is really a big chain and finding the weakest link is where money should go...?

Jagged24

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2010
Cambs
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Icon Audio? Thought someone might suggest the PS3.
I do! The old-style PS1.2 with the upgraded Jensen caps sounded better to me than the PS3, and I have enjoyed it now for several years. I use the MM input, with a RFC's MC1 SUT, and think it sounds terrific with my source components.

Nick (myrman) hosted a phono stage bake-off a few years ago and the PS1 came out very well.

(here's the link .... http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?45517-Northampton-Bake-off&highlight=icon+audio+phono .... see for example Rabski's comment in post 52 in the thread)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online