Where is the Front Wall?

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
(This came up in another thread but I'm posting it here to keep that one more on topic.)

There is a very straightforward answer to the thread title in the wider audio world that I'll see if I can try to convince any doubters the value of :). I do totally get why some use alternative language though and there was a time when I would have as well!

The perspective to have in mind is that of the listener, sitting in their hopefully comfy chair facing their speakers. The front wall is then the wall in front of them and the rear wall the one behind them. Similarly the left speaker is the one to the listener's left and the right to their right. Anyone who has ever connected up speakers to an AV amp will note this is precisely how everything is labelled and it is only in the stereo world where there might ever be confusion.

The alternative is to choose to view things from the perspective of the speakers, with their drivers facing 'forward' and the wall behind them then being referred to as the 'back wall'. Where this most obviously then falls down is if you consider left and right. If I view things from the speaker perspective then 'my' left will be the opposite to the listener's left and vice-versa. If you watch a movie then there is very clearly a left audio channel which is associated with what is to the left of the image from the viewer's perspective. Similarly in music there is always a left audio channel which is intended to be to the left from the listener's perspective. For lots of music this doesn't actually make any difference but most obviously for live classical recordings there is a well established layout for where different instruments usually are that relates to what the true left and right channels are. If someone defines layout from the speaker perspective then they end up having to send the left audio channel to their 'right' speaker, almost certainly using an amplifier output labelled 'left'. And vice versa.

Common language is of course helpful to avoid confusion, which is why I do sometimes make the point that the listener-centric terminology really is the 'correct' one. Rather than being purely pedantic, honest :) .

Last edited:

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I must have missed the other thread you refer to. I understand exactly what you are trying to say. Getting intransigent people to understand the concept is like talking to a brick wall.

Bassist and singer-songwriter of “The Wall” despised the experience, feeling the audience was not listening……

You are Roger Waters, and I claim my prize.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
(This came up in another thread but I'm posting it here to keep that one more on topic.)

There is a very straightforward answer to the thread title in the wider audio world that I'll see if I can try to convince any doubters the value of :). I do totally get why some use alternative language though and there was a time when I would have as well!

The perspective to have in mind is that of the listener, sitting in their hopefully comfy chair facing their speakers. The front wall is then the wall in front of them and the rear wall the one behind them. Similarly the left speaker is the one to the listener's left and the right to their right. Anyone who has ever connected up speakers to an AV amp will note this is precisely how everything is labelled and it is only in the stereo world where there might ever be confusion.

The alternative is to choose to view things from the perspective of the speakers, with their drivers facing 'forward' and the wall behind them then being referred to as the 'back wall'. Where this most obviously then falls down is if you consider left and right. If I view things from the speaker perspective then 'my' left will be the opposite to the listener's left and vice-versa. If you watch a movie then there is very clearly a left audio channel which is associated with what is to the left of the image from the viewer's perspective. Similarly in music there is always a left audio channel which is intended to be to the left from the listener's perspective. For lots of music this doesn't actually make any difference but most obviously for live classical recordings there is a well established layout for where different instruments usually are that relates to what the true left and right channels are. If someone defines layout from the speaker perspective then they end up having to send the left audio channel to their 'right' speaker, almost certainly using an amplifier output labelled 'left'. And vice versa.

Common language is of course helpful to avoid confusion, which is why I do sometimes make the point that the listener-centric terminology really is the 'correct' one. Rather than being purely pedantic, honest :) .
Martin it’s the same in architecture. Estate agents call the garden south facing if faces the sun as the perspective is from the house. Garden designers take the perspective from the garden and so the same garden is a north facing garden.

hylander

(Fairly) Standard Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 23, 2010
Sunny Stratford
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
p3EbS3SUifO3nkbXN5UEk8DYgSkSPwcF43hQG3WTVhs.jpg

Stuckinarut

One of the first
Wammer
Aug 9, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I tend to use back wall from the perspective of the speakers, as it only gets referred to when sorting out the correct speaker positioning.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've always thought of naming the walls with respect to the listening position and not the speakers, so I agree with your post, Martin. The front wall is the one in front of me.

I did think about naming them Bert and Ernie at one point but they didn't seem to respond... 😄

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lets keep it simple people🤪

The front wall is the one in front of you and the rear wall is behind you 👍

Unless you turn around and then the front wall becomes the rear wall and the rear wall is the front wall. 🥴🥴🥴🥴!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SIMPLE ANSWER IS.... Stop f**K**G turning round and confusing yourself.

Now just play some bloody music you muppet🤪

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The problem is personalising the walls from a human perspective.

The wall in front of us may be considered the front wall, but here we are talking speaker placement, so from the Loudspeakers' perspective the front wall is the wall it is facing and the back wall is the wall behind it.

I am pretty sure that a load will argue the toss on this one but I stand by my logic that it needs to be considered from the loudspeakers' perspective and not a human one.

As it happens the back wall of my house is the one facing the back of the loudspeakers and my seating position is with my back to the house's front wall .. here we have Zen where the loudspeaker and house are in harmony

Reactions: DomT

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Every professional I've seen write about speakers, be it domestic or studio gear, refer to the front wall as the one in front of the listener. It's only in hifi forums that I've seen this as a discussion.
👍

Iceman 16

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 31, 2010
Swansea
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You are the one listening to the speakers in front of you and not the speakers listening to you.😁

Nagraboy

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2014
Nottingham
AKA
Greg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Every professional I've seen write about speakers, be it domestic or studio gear, refer to the front wall as the one in front of the listener. It's only in hifi forums that I've seen this as a discussion.

So then, ‘moving the speakers forward’ actually means moving them closer to the wall behind them? ;)

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My OH will say something is at the front of the car boot when that something is at the back.
She refers to the boot in relation to the car front.
I refer to the boot as you look at it.

So the boot front is the back of the car.
I am correct of course.

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Lets keep it simple people🤪

The front wall is the one in front of you and the rear wall is behind you 👍
Yeah, but no, but yeah, but when refer to “the front wall”, I would be talking about the wall at the front of the house.

• Haha
Reactions: MVJ

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
My OH will say something is at the front of the car boot when that something is at the back.
She refers to the boot in relation to the car front.
I refer to the boot as you look at it.

So the boot front is the back of the car.
I am correct of course.
Unless you drive a Porsche 🤔

Reactions: MVJ

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does someone who thinks the front wall is the one the speakers face have their speakers wired the wrong way round?

• Haha
Reactions: uzzy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles