Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I know they have had a poor start but it's a bold decision by the board to sack him this early. They have (I have only seen very limited highlights) looked like relegation fodder to me this season.

Glenn Hoddle was near to getting the job in the summer I heard.

You happy or not Emma?

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Shocked to say the least.

The football under Dowieas an entertainment, as been FAR better than under Curbishley,believe me it has.

We have had horrific injury problems this season,90% of dowies signings have been injured for most of our games,they are gradually coming back now.Strange that the results have picked up to coincide with that.

We hav'nt been hammered,worst result 0-3 against united,all three goals were defensive cock-ups,only lost 2-1 at chelsea, we were the better side in the 2nd half and they scored the winner when we were down to ten men,The player off wasour centre half and they scored with a header from the middle of the six yd box.Could go on.

Something strange going on here IMO,you don't sack a manager after 12 games and its not Charlton like.Charlton to make a statement tomorrow.

Would'nt surprise me if it did'nt have something to do with the Simon Jordan thing,but who knows.

Bottom line is I'm disapointed with the sacking and surprised that he or any other manager was only given 12 games.

audioboy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 25, 2006
Guidlford, , United
As a fellow Charlton fan, i am not completely shocked. Yes we're bottom, yes we haven't played brilliant football all season, but in patches we've looked good (and to me, nothing like relegation material).

To get rid of him so soon just makes me wonder whether the decision has anything to do with the manner in which Dowie moved from Palace to Charlton.

The thing that really gets me is who they're going to replace Dowie with. You mention Glen Hoddle, well i reacon he's better than everyone they've suggested on sky sports new. Curbs has ruled himself out (rightly so i think), Glen Rodder, Graeme Souness etc, are any of them going to be any better than Ian Dowie?

P.S. This entire situation has really boosted Palace and Charlton relations hasnt it.

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Difficult question mate,

Les Reed would/should do a decent job,hes no 2 now at Charlton,well respected and all that.

Alan Pardew or Mike Newell perhaps,would'nt mind any of those three.

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Emma Royd wrote:

Shocked to say the least.The football under Dowieas an entertainment, as been FAR better than under Curbishley,believe me it has.
But year on year didn't the results under Curbs say it all?

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Curbs has never had the injury problems Dowies had and if we had started last season as this,Curbs would have taken us down.

Curbishley's not the be and end all that a lot of non-Charlton supporters believe he is and the media,believe me,I'm a long standing season ticket holder,since the days of selhurst.

Not that I'm knocking him,I'm not, but it was time for a change the football under Curbs for the last two seasons was dire,under dowie far,far better.

Theres something strange about this sacking,12 games is no time at all and unlike the Charlton board to treat someone in this manner in such a short space of time.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sadly one can understand why Charlton did this dismissal, and as much as I like Dowie it was inevitable in the current silly overconsumptive-wasting-money world.

I remember the good old days of good local footie support/balancing the books and pleasing your supporters. Not everyone is going to win everything every season. Even MUT almost got rid of their current Scot manager 20 years ago.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was shocked to hear this on Sky sports News last night.

I loke Dowie a lot. When he used to do the commentary on Sky before becoming a manager he always came across as intelligent and knew about the game. He's one of those managers you would actually like to talk about football too.

12 games is nothing. Charlton haven't looked that bad. No worse than several other teams - Man City, Boro, Newcastle and yet these guys seem to have stood by their managers (for now).

Having given Dowie some money for his buys and then seen them get injured it seem daft to do this. The next man coming in will want to spend more money and want his own side.

As mentioned Charlton's recent results have actually been getting better - very strange.

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Emma Royd wrote:

Curbs has never had the injury problems Dowies had and if we had started last season as this,Curbs would have taken us down.Curbishley's not the be and end all that a lot of non-Charlton supporters believe he is and the media,believe me,I'm a long standing season ticket holder,since the days of selhurst.

Not that I'm knocking him,I'm not, but it was time for a change the football under Curbs for the last two seasons was dire,under dowie far,far better.

Theres something strange about this sacking,12 games is no time at all and unlike the Charlton board to treat someone in this manner in such a short space of time.
I agree that something would appear to have happened behind the scenes. Immediately appointing the no. 2 seems a bit of a gamble, which does not tally with taking 'a brave' decision to sack Dowie early

Something wrotten in the state of Charlton.

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
I bleeping love your avatar Craig.

Anyhoo, was Dowie rated at all? Being up in Jockland he is not high profile to me. Was he at Palace before? My judgemental opinion of him was he wasn't a very good manager....

How is he thought of? I think he looks a bit like Sloth from the Goonies: "Hey you guys"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opensea0