Which Cartridge?

landychris

Wammer
New Wammer
Aug 7, 2006
, , United Kingdom
Going to be upgrading the turntable soon so i'm after a bit of cartridge advice (will be either a Gyrodeck or a Spacedeck) ortofon seem to do a few MC carts around the £300 (+/- £50) mark but whats the difference? i can't find any comparisons between them... It will be used with a Trichord Dino+ Phono stage

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
clearaudio aurum beta or beta s (about 240 /290 I think) have a clear sound and are MM designs so no step up required. Otherwise I agree with Griffo, although the sumiko blue point at about 250 might be worth a listen for a good starter MC:Not Sure:

CTank

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Pinner, , United Kin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd say you can't go wrong with the Rondo Red @ £300. Listened to it on a Project Xperience, and was really impressed with it. Nicely neutral without being anti-septic, tracked superbly, very enjoyable.

Cartridges come in many flavours, but the Ortofon is a thoroughly safe place to start, with no unexpected nasties to catch the unwary.

Other options might be Sumiko Blue Point Special (£250), which a lot of dealers seem to use in demos, which is a good sign. But it's also notoriously delicate, and there always seem to be broken ones for sale on eBay. I want to own one at some stage, but wouldn't want to rely on it as my only cartridge.

Denon's DL103 R has just become available in the UK, at around £200. I've never heard one, but have one on order. Some people swear it's the best thing since sliced bread, and I've seen one guy say he prefers it to a Benz model at three times the price. But for every fan, there's someone else who hates it, so a slightly risky purchase.

Conclusion: Buy the Ortofon!

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Carts are just a bit personal, The Denon's, as stated above generate love and hate in equal measure, but I rate the DL110 and 160, which are both around £80,Or the Dynavector 10 x 5 at £250 ish, all of which are high output MC's, so work into MM stages.

landychris

Wammer
New Wammer
Aug 7, 2006
, , United Kingdom
i think I'll be steering clear of high output MC's call me an old fuddy but in my book a MM cart outputs at 5mV and an MC doesn't (anyway i've got a dino+ which is primarily designed for MC!) , sounds like the ortofon rondo red may have to be auditioned, as long as it's a 'musical' cartridge then thatsthe main consideration (obviously staging, prescence, detailand all that other stuff matters too) but i'm not into extracting every little bit of slightest detailat thesacrifice of the music

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Consider the Denon DL304 mc,great little cartridge and less than £200.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Emma Royd wrote:

Yep - another good choice. I lived with this cart for a couple of years - no real weaknesses especially going in to the Dino+ as it matches very well to it.

I've also lived happily with a Goldring elite which also does a very nice job for £250.

But having heard the Rondo carts - I nearly bought one myself until I heard the Dorian - I would start there myself, really are very good.

Jones

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
Emma Royd wrote:

Even less if you have mine from the classifieds...
wink.png

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What about the Audio Technica AT-OC9? - still one of the lovliest cartridges ever IMHO and Mantra are selling them for about £340 IIRC.

And of course there's the AT33PTG from www.audiocubes.comas praised highly by a certain Mr. Biscuit - i'm still intending to splash out on one in the very near future.

G

Jones wrote:

Emma Royd wrote:
Even less if you have mine from the classifieds...
wink.png
i use one of those, get the vta spot on and not much under 1k will touch it but's very low output 1.2mv i think

G

Emma Royd wrote:

Never found that low output a problem rudi.
no but if you don't have an adjustable phono stage roydcream it could be a problem.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
the AT33PTG is a very nice cart, and a bargin at the price on Audiocubes (although even cheaper than that direct from Japan I'm sure!). Somebody in the reviews says that the European RRP is 1000 Euro's, but I'm not sure about that. The titanium bodied one looks very cool - but is twice the price.

G

Beobloke wrote:

What about the Audio Technica AT-OC9? - still one of the lovliest cartridges ever IMHO and Mantra are selling them for about £340 IIRC.
aweful cartridge. had one of those and the oc7 dreadful sounding things.

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
rudolph hucker wrote:

Emma Royd wrote:
no but if you don't have an adjustable phono stage roydcream it could be a problem.
My phono stage is'nt adjustable and its the only one I've had,worked very well with the two pre's Ive had as well.

G

Emma Royd wrote:

rudolph hucker wrote:
Emma Royd wrote:
My phono stage is'nt adjustable and its the only one I've had,worked very well with the two pre's Ive had as well.
ok. you heard from onion at all?

Shakey

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2006
Wallingford, Oxon.
AKA
Gavin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Beobloke wrote:

I have a Clearaudio Emotion and my stock Clearaudio cart finally bit the dust, so I got an Audio-Technica OC9ML/II and supremely happy I am too! £300 from Coolgales. It's much less "analytical" than my Clearaudio and very musical!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pops