Which format do you prefer?

I.D.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 14, 2021
For me it's vinyl and i like/don't mind the whole procedure and involvement.
Interesting to note here that streaming appears to be the main medium and convenience is quoted as the main reason.
For me listening to music is the activity and as such i use a medium that i have to engage with,whereas with other sources the temptation to do other things(?) is too much. :unsure:

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting to note here that streaming appears to be the main medium and convenience is quoted as the main reason.
For me listening to music is the activity and as such i use a medium that i have to engage with,whereas with other sources the temptation to do other things(?) is too much. :unsure:
For me it's more about choice and cost. You have a vast selection on streaming sites now. I can also try out new albums and discover new music. To get a decent collection even on cd would cost many £1,000s. I would need over 1,000 and even then it would not rival streaming. Nearly all the music I've played in the last month is either new to me or I have not heard for years.

Reactions: Strider and MartinC

t1no

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2014
North West
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reading all the previous posts we are lucky to have so many choices of format to suit all manner of preferences. Myself, I use streaming and internet/broadcast radio in equal measure. Despite having ripped my entire CD and small vinyl collection haven’t played the albums much. I spin the odd CD now and again to make sure the player(s) still work.

Last edited:

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No surprise for you all to
read that I prefer vinyl playback first and foremost. 2nd is using a streamer to listen to radio stations. Lastly I have a NAS drive with countless thousands of ripped cd's but very rarely listen as the sound quality isn't as good a my TT setup. Maybe I should do something about that 🤔
Cheers Ady

Reactions: chezi

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I actually think convenience is more often mentioned by those who don't use streaming as their primary music source. Like @StingRay I personally use streaming because of the frankly absurd music library it gives me access to for an extremely reasonable price. I never found it 'inconvenient' to put a CD on and would have no issue with continuing to do so but I simply can't justify buying CDs when streaming exists. Equally I'd use CDs instead of streaming if I thought they sounded better, but I don't.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Non of us on the Wam unless you have many tens of thousands of disposable income will ever achieve the ultimate resolution of music whatever the source .
I have over the years invested my time in listening to music ..until last year I decided I had reached the end of this particular journey .. Nirvana , ..I’ve heard many systems better for sure !!!
But even if someone dropped a streaming system in my lap for 20 grand that was IMO absolutely awesome I would not change what I have .. not much different in value if I had to replace anything ..
Vinyl is a philosophy , a passion , a fight against the odds .
Those emotions are priceless IMO ..

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is spot on for me. When I want to listen to music I stop everything else & play records, whereas if I am doing something I put a CD on or stream for example Radio Paradise, as background music only & rarely stop & properly listen.
For me playing records is a philosophy, I listen, I learn, I enjoy.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You cant give CDs away at record fairs - same with classical vinyl. Most of the dealers dont even bring either as they are not worth the table space.
Best sellers are 80s vinyl, 'Rumours' continues to outsell any other single title, Elvis and R'nRoll are dead, Kate Bush is hotcakes since the hit U.S. series 'Stranger Days', Prog is OK, 7" inch singles quiet, 12" singles holding their own (DJ interest), Film soundtracks soso, Beatles ever popular (dependent on condition), Floyd, Bowie, Cure, reggae strong, jazz bit quiet unless you have an enthusiast in front of you.

However, the record buying public are not Audiophiles; and conversely Audiophiles are not record buyers.
Jack NSM (Non-Streaming Man)

Last edited:

Sir_Franc

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 10, 2005
East Sussex
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
My system consist of a NAS drive, streamer, iFi Macro iUSB 3 (this makes a big difference to my ears), dac then amp. I like the convenience of it all, however I admit I probably listen to fewer songs as I forget a lot of what I have as you don't really get to see them all when scrolling through the library.
I think records ultimately sound better but it's such a palaver and I found it becoming expensive to remain at the same level due to the ever increasing price of cartridges.

Seibassman

Wammer
Jul 29, 2021
Devon
AKA
Matthew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I am unwell I put the internet radio on so I can take pain relief and relax, Radio Paradise, Linn and Naim radio and various jazz stations. When well, then it would be 95% vinyl and 5% cd as I can operate the equipment without fear of damaging the gear!

AndyCC72

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 4, 2021
Bexley, Kent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Depends on genre for me and with my system.

I prefer streaming when listening to house and soul (70-90’s soul in the main)

Vinyl for Jazz and reggae.

To me on my system those genres sound better played via the above sources.

We’ve got 1000’s of CD’s that I never play, the SQ difference between CD and streaming is so little on my system it’s not worth the effort of getting up and down to the CD player.

Reactions: MartinC

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the advice and recommendations:)
I stream internet radio once in a while and among my favorites is the Sangeet Samvad, from India.

We don’t have Qobuz in Portugal, so Tidal is the one to choose.

I really like the commitment made we putting on a CD and 99% of the times I listen to the entire album and revisit the booklet.
It is very relaxing for me.
Streaming makes a bit more loose and not as focused, I don’t really know why...
Muito bom dia. We have QoBuz in Portugal.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You cant give CDs away at record fairs - same with classical vinyl. Most of the dealers dont even bring either as they are not worth the table space.
Best sellers are 80s vinyl, 'Rumours' continues to outsell any other single title, Elvis and R'nRoll are dead, Kate Bush is hotcakes since the hit U.S. series 'Stranger Days', Prog is OK, 7" inch singles quiet, 12" singles holding their own (DJ interest), Film soundtracks soso, Beatles ever popular (dependent on condition), Floyd, Bowie, Cure, reggae strong, jazz bit quiet unless you have an enthusiast in front of you.

However, the record buying public are not Audiophiles; and conversely Audiophiles are not record buyers.
Jack NSM (Non-Streaming Man)
I thought it would be 70s vinyl rather than 80s?

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As others have said the main reason that I listen to Qobuz is to listen to music that I don’t own. I recently tried to buy a Madonna CD but it’s not in stock anywhere, and the same for Lionel Richie. Mainstream common CDs not available - it’s ridiculous.

But also I did have 900 CDs and there are thousands that I want to listen to. I don’t want my room full of CDs as well as 2000 LPs. As it is the LPs are kept in the studio. And this is where streaming really helps as storage starts to become an issue. I have been trying to buy the albums that are really important to me so that I can rip them to my Innuos but am finding that Qobuz surprisingly doesn’t have as many gaps as I was expecting.

Will continue to play LPs, play ripped CDs and listen to QoBuz and internet radio.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
80s music is way better than the 70s too 😜.

(I think it's because I was born in the 70s but in contrast to I think the majority here it's rare I listen to music from the 70s.)

Reactions: Jules_S

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
80s music is way better than the 70s too 😜.

(I think it's because I was born in the 70s but in contrast to I think the majority here it's rare I listen to music from the 70s.)
Is it? I stopped buying music in the 80s, I have very little music from that decade. Apart from a few bands, hardly play anything. Yes probably to do with age partly, although I play quite a bit of 50s music.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All the 6 Decades that I have listened to music have had both great and Shyte stuff ..
Fair point :) . And it's not like I avoid all music from the 70s either. Just responding to the notion that wanting to buy records from the 80s was some weird concept that could only be explained by the popularity of a recent TV series!

Reactions: bigrod

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles