Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2011
Mansfield-ish
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm contemplating a change in cd player. My Rega Apollo sounds great but it's getting old and I'd like to take things up a notch of possible.
Realistically I have a budget of around £1200 but.... I'm wondering if I should just blow the budget and go for something like a Luxman or CEC cd5.

What should I be looking at?

• Sad
Reactions: uzzy

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I demo'd my amp, admittedly 5 yrs ago, the guy used a Denon DCD 1600 - to match the amp.

It was a pretty fine sound but how it compares with others I don't know.

Then there's the option of sending it to Russ Andrews and spending £1.5k to improve it. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: nak, bigrod and MVJ

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If your spending big bucks, these are the questions…

Does it sound good?
Is it reliable ?
Is it supported and for how long?

The best route normally now would be a separate transport and a DAC but the CD player I have just purchased is supported and upgradable indefinitely.

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm contemplating a change in cd player. My Rega Apollo sounds great but it's getting old and I'd like to take things up a notch of possible.
Realistically I have a budget of around £1200 but.... I'm wondering if I should just blow the budget and go for something like a Luxman or CEC cd5.

What should I be looking at?
I bought an original Apollo back in early 2007. It was a great-sounding player but right out of the box it had a bad transformer hum. While it was in for repair I was lent a Saturn by my dealer... and that was that. I said "Keep the Apollo." to the dealer and bought the Saturn instead. The Saturn simply gave me more of everything without sounding off-puttingly different to the Apollo.

15 years on, I still have the Saturn. It was re-lasered around four years ago, it's still in great condition, and it still sounds as good as new. Well, actually, it now sounds better than new because rest of my kit has all been upgraded and is better able to show off what the Saturn can do. I can safely say that my Saturn isn't going anywhere.

If I wanted to improve my CD sound today - which I don't :) - then I'd look at plugging the Saturn into an offboard DAC instead of replacing it.

(I have an Audio Note DAC 0.1x offboard DAC connected to my Bluesound Vault 2 and it slightly edges the Saturn in sound quality, but only when I perform comparisons. In everyday use the Saturn remains superb.)

So, for you, and subject to an audition if possible, I'd suggest a good used Saturn R as a valuable and straightforward CDP upgrade that comes with additional benefits. The bonus is that the Saturn R's DAC can also be used separately, thus setting you up for a wider range of sources of digital music.

Last edited:
Reactions: nak

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If your spending big bucks, these are the questions…

Does it sound good?
Is it reliable ?
Is it supported and for how long?

The best route normally now would be a separate transport and a DAC but the CD player I have just purchased is supported and upgradable indefinitely.
Indefinitely could mean until next week
Nothing is forever!!

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There’s a vast choice on eBay, and I often look myself out of curiosity, notwithstanding that I already own a pretty decent Marantz and an Oppo.

There are a couple of Rega Saturns at around £1300 which might be worth considering. CEC fascinate me because I don’t really understand how belts work on a CD. LUxman and Accuphase look lush but I’m unsure if they really sound better or just look tasty!

NB. These aren’t my links. It seems to be a new forum feature.

Last edited:

Iceman 16

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 31, 2010
Swansea
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If spending that amount on a cdp make sure it‘s still serviceable and have replacement parts esp. the cd drive mechanism. Good luck with your search mate👍

Reactions: Rockchild and nak

nak

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2011
Mansfield-ish
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought an original Apollo back in early 2007. It was a great-sounding player but right out of the box it had a bad transformer hum. While it was in for repair I was lent a Saturn by my dealer... and that was that. I said "Keep the Apollo." to the dealer and bought the Saturn instead. The Saturn simply gave me more of everything without sounding off-puttingly different to the Apollo.

15 years on, I still have the Saturn. It was re-lasered around four years ago, it's still in great condition, and it still sounds as good as new. Well, actually, it now sounds better than new because rest of my kit has all been upgraded and is better able to show off what the Saturn can do. I can safely say that my Saturn isn't going anywhere.

If I wanted to improve my CD sound today - which I don't :) - then I'd look at plugging the Saturn into an offboard DAC instead of replacing it.

(I have an Audio Note DAC 0.1x offboard DAC connected to my Bluesound Vault 2 and it slightly edges the Saturn in sound quality, but only when I perform comparisons. In everyday use the Saturn remains superb.)

So, for you, and subject to an audition if possible, I'd suggest a good used Saturn R as a valuable and straightforward CDP upgrade that comes with additional benefits. The bonus is that the Saturn R's DAC can also be used separately, thus setting you up for a wider range of sources of digital music.
I've got a demo of a Saturn R tomorrow so will see how that goes 👍🏻

Audionote are an option.

May demo a CEC too.

Marantz is a brand I've never really looked into but I will now.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lector CDP7TL, these are ridiculously good. Stunning range ch yet detailed sound which can be tweaked via valve rolling the 2 ECC81s in the output stage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles