Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
50950C01-943E-4744-80C0-9B7390D9ABB4.jpeg

So which is best?

So this in on two channel because it might get better attention if folk are thinking about getting or have got these latest half speed Abbey Road masters.
If you have, I’d like to know your thoughts too. Ok, on the left, the new record and on the right, the original first pressing. The quality of the sleeve is superior with the original but the vinyl is of standard thickness but obviously it’s the sound that counts so….
Is the AR copy better? Well, no and if anything, it’s worse. It sounds clinical and lacking warmth, bass has reduced and the vocals of Gerry Rafferty sound compressed and distorted. Wild Theme has lost the delicacy of Knopflers guitar work.
The whole album to me sounds like a compressed CD. Truly disappointing and if you didn’t have the original, you wouldn’t know.
Back in the day, I acquired half speed masters of the first three Dire Straits albums and they are better if subtle.
This copy of Local Hero was on offer but it’s going back. I’m really disappointed and shocked at the current crop of so called masters.
More marketing ploy? Who knows but imo, I’ve come across many albums where the true first pressing is better.

myles

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2008
Plymouth
AKA
Myles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm glad you posted matey, the AR copy has been in my Discogs basket for a while. Contemplated the MoFi?!!

Reactions: Rockchild

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm glad you posted matey, the AR copy has been in my Discogs basket for a while. Contemplated the MoFi?!!
My original is in excellent condition. The average price of most of these AR copies are about £44 and from this experience, I won’t be getting any more. There are a number of different companies doing these so I can’t speak for all of them.
My Daughter is in the States as we speak or type and she has picked up Love over Gold 45rpm master for me. for £30 in New York which for a US sale, that’s pretty amazing as they are normally around £75 here. The guy had to go to the stores to find it 😊
I’m going to be honest tho, if the HSM is from the time of release, they will be better and are.

Reactions: myles

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have found the remasters of lots of albums just don't sound as good as the original it's become a money spinner and just bullsh*t marketing.
Agreed. I have a few albums that I have many different pressings of, original, 180 remaster, Japanese pressing, HSM, and most of the time I just go back to the original, even if it's a bit noisier sometimes. IME flimsy vinyl isn't necessarily a bad thing it seems

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
*Grammatical Pedantry Mode ON*

Neither of them can be 'best' as there are only two being compared.

*Grammatical Pedantry Mode OFF*

🤓

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My experience of RMs is as follows:
Dire Straits LOG & BIA, original good, Mofi HSM 45rpm, Stunning!!
EC, MTV Unplugged, 1x LP Good, 2x 180g VV good, Mofi 45rpm UD, absolutely stunning SQ.
Cowboy Junkies The Trinity Sessions, original very good, 2x 180g remaster, absolutely superb.
Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Original very good, recent reissue, absolute shite with a really thin sound (sent my copy back for a refund), 2x180g 45rpm HSM, SQ better than original but not by much.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
*Grammatical Pedantry Mode ON*

Neither of them can be 'best' as there are only two being compared.

*Grammatical Pedantry Mode OFF*

🤓
When there is only two to compare then how would you suggest it can be done otherwise eh

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My experience of RMs is as follows:
Dire Straits LOG & BIA, original good, Mofi HSM 45rpm, Stunning!!
EC, MTV Unplugged, 1x LP Good, 2x 180g VV good, Mofi 45rpm UD, absolutely stunning SQ.
Cowboy Junkies The Trinity Sessions, original very good, 2x 180g remaster, absolutely superb.
Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Original very good, recent reissue, absolute shite with a really thin sound (sent my copy back for a refund), 2x180g 45rpm HSM, SQ better than original but not by much.
Yes John, I think your right about the 45rpm issues, they are pretty special.
I believe this latest batch of so called Abbey Road half speed masters are marketing crap.

Last edited:

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now that I've got my system back up and running again following the Stoke show, I'm going to compare my recently purchased Half speed Abbey Road Studios copy of Brothers in Arms with my standard copy and report back.
At least I've got a decent wide soundstage to listen to now 😁
Cheers Ady

Minicoupeman

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 21, 2015
Sittingbourne
AKA
Andy Andrews
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good to have it here. Lots of vinyl fans. For my tupenth….. The ‘Free Alright Now’ half speed Abbey is awful. The Stones lps, not much better (DSM tho is surprisingly good). I was recently in a position to buy, at considerable cost, some Original pressings inc The Beatles. As an owner of more than a few MoFi Lp’s ( which are often vg) the original pressings knock them into a cocked hat. If you have the originals of anything don’t fall for the remastered/ remixed stuff. You have the best the lp will ever sound.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good to have it here. Lots of vinyl fans. For my tupenth….. The ‘Free Alright Now’ half speed Abbey is awful. The Stones lps, not much better (DSM tho is surprisingly good). I was recently in a position to buy, at considerable cost, some Original pressings inc The Beatles. As an owner of more than a few MoFi Lp’s ( which are often vg) the original pressings knock them into a cocked hat. If you have the originals of anything don’t fall for the remastered/ remixed stuff. You have the best the lp will ever sound.
This appears to be the case. I think when LP’s were the only media other than cassette, it was done right first time.

Reactions: HouseElf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles