Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have 12" Tannoy MGs in home made cabinets. Having spent last week re doing bits of the crossover, making grilles soon and other tweaks I finally have them sounding as they should. However, they work much less well in my room for small scale and delicate recordings. I fed them ZZ Top's la Grange at around 102Db and I never heard anything so...what's the word? Visceral? But my home recorded folk needs a closer and sweeter touch. So I'm making my next project a DIY go at small speakers.
I have 4 alternatives.

Falcon Acoustics:
By buying all the bits separately, I can make my version of their LS3/5a gold crossover speakers. I think it'll be around £1300 built.
Falcon also make a Q7 kit. Basically the LS3/5 but with a crossover and cabinet tuned for about 10Hz more bass (ish). Warm LS3's I'm supposing. It's around £1100 in veneered kit form.

Wilmslow audio:
They also do a similar idea to the Q7, an LS3 alike with more bass, called the LS3 PLUS. It uses a scanspeak top and Monacor mid/bass to do the same thing. It's about £800.
Wilmslow also suggest that my sound requirements might be met by their HB1, based on the old Heybrook HB1 but using Vifa drivers. A mere 600 quid odd in veneered flat pack form.

I already have small speakers, KEF iQ 30's, won as a prize about 17 years ago I think. I've given them a good listen and would sum them up as mini Tannoys. They have the same directness and clarity (they are after all a similar drive unit design), but only work on axis and are not as sweet as I want, so they will move on I think. I know Wilmslow's original LS3's well, having made a pair for a pal, and do like them.

I suspect however that the Falcons will be 'better'. Listening will be nearfield (about 7 feet max) and I'm going to sort amps so that valves will be in the mix somewhere.

All experience, advice and etc will help me. Thanks.

ps. Harbeths P3 ESR's and Falcons own built LS3 golds are over £2500. I know the sound of both and would live happily with either, it's just working out which is the best.

My best = detailed but not hard. Sweet top end essential.

I did a similar post on PFM a while back but since the button is about to be pushed I wanted last opinions.
Ta.

Reactions: deggie

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm going to try and help ! Don't think of the Q7 as warm, but simply LS3/5a with more bass.

The Harbs are a warmer speaker but the 'regular' are not the same as the XD. I think the former are the sweet spot here.
There's no 'best' to my mind, I love them all !

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
KEF Ref 101 or 102 (mark 1 versions) - I prefer them over the LS35A and they have more balls too.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You seem to like making speakers, so how about the HB2 from Wilmslow? Infinite baffle 14litre. Mid-bass is 165mm, a bit larger so more bass.

https://wilmslowaudio.co.uk/stand-mounting-loudspeakers/wa-hb2-loudspeaker-hb2-kit-without-cabinet
I've also been looking at this design and have some alternative crossover suggestions:
Another OCD Build 6.5”
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/40806-another-ocd-build?t=221718
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/41800-peerless-830875-vifa-xt25
Vifa XT25TG
Peerless 831735 6.5” or 830875 may be better

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am picking up a pair of the Wilmslow LS3's literally tomorrow. I had to fork out for Wilmslow to build them for me as I'm no DIYer, but they were still very reasonably priced based on what I heard at the demo.

They are to replace my Spendor S3/5R2's which are themselves excellent little speakers within the same theme.

Seems clear you're up for a DIY project, but if you're interested in my Spendors, they will probably be up for sale.

I am only replacing them for something with a bit higher sensitivity. The S3/5R2 are excellent and I would consider them a real bargain at current second-hand prices.

Reactions: Bokke

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am picking up a pair of the Wilmslow LS3's literally tomorrow. I had to fork out for Wilmslow to build them for me as I'm no DIYer, but they were still very reasonably priced based on what I heard at the demo.

They are to replace my Spendor S3/5R2's which are themselves excellent little speakers within the same theme.

Seems clear you're up for a DIY project, but if you're interested in my Spendors, they will probably be up for sale.

I am only replacing them for something with a bit higher sensitivity. The S3/5R2 are excellent and I would consider them a real bargain at current second-hand prices.
very interested if you have time to report on sound differences between the Spendors and the Wilms LS£'s....useful stuff :)

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have 12" Tannoy MGs in home made cabinets. Having spent last week re doing bits of the crossover, making grilles soon and other tweaks I finally have them sounding as they should. However, they work much less well in my room for small scale and delicate recordings. I fed them ZZ Top's la Grange at around 102Db and I never heard anything so...what's the word? Visceral? But my home recorded folk needs a closer and sweeter touch. So I'm making my next project a DIY go at small speakers.
I have 4 alternatives.

Falcon Acoustics:
By buying all the bits separately, I can make my version of their LS3/5a gold crossover speakers. I think it'll be around £1300 built.
Falcon also make a Q7 kit. Basically the LS3/5 but with a crossover and cabinet tuned for about 10Hz more bass (ish). Warm LS3's I'm supposing. It's around £1100 in veneered kit form.

Wilmslow audio:
They also do a similar idea to the Q7, an LS3 alike with more bass, called the LS3 PLUS. It uses a scanspeak top and Monacor mid/bass to do the same thing. It's about £800.
Wilmslow also suggest that my sound requirements might be met by their HB1, based on the old Heybrook HB1 but using Vifa drivers. A mere 600 quid odd in veneered flat pack form.

I already have small speakers, KEF iQ 30's, won as a prize about 17 years ago I think. I've given them a good listen and would sum them up as mini Tannoys. They have the same directness and clarity (they are after all a similar drive unit design), but only work on axis and are not as sweet as I want, so they will move on I think. I know Wilmslow's original LS3's well, having made a pair for a pal, and do like them.

I suspect however that the Falcons will be 'better'. Listening will be nearfield (about 7 feet max) and I'm going to sort amps so that valves will be in the mix somewhere.

All experience, advice and etc will help me. Thanks.

ps. Harbeths P3 ESR's and Falcons own built LS3 golds are over £2500. I know the sound of both and would live happily with either, it's just working out which is the best.

My best = detailed but not hard. Sweet top end essential.

I did a similar post on PFM a while back but since the button is about to be pushed I wanted last opinions.
Ta.
how far are you away from Wilmslow - if close id go down and check them out - the stuff they make is top quality

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

let us know how you get on with them

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The WA-LS3's (from Wilmslow Audio) have arrived and luckily I have the day off work, so putting them through their paces as we speak.

A little on the bright side at the minute, but they have only had about 15 hours put on them by Wilmslow before I picked them up today, so a bit of running in needed.

I'll let you know how I get on, in particular vs the Spendors, but based on the demo at Wilmslow where I took the Spendors for a back to back, I can say the initial impressions were of a slightly more open and detailed treble/mid, but with a bit less bass presence and reach than the S3/5R2's. But what bass is there is seriously punchy.

But we'll see...

Attachments

• DSC_0180.JPG
    DSC_0180.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0179.JPG
    DSC_0179.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 23

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
amphion argon 1 . beautiful sound , i reckon they would give p3esr a run for the money . very engaging and sweet and very surprising

i do like the falcons though
The Amphion is a great speaker but very different to the P3ESR. We’ll worth a listen but given the OPs preferences I have a feeling that he will end up with the Falcon kit.

There again I never thought that I would own ATCs so I am also going to recommend the ATC SCM11. It has a rolled off treble like the P3ESR but a flatter midrange. I also own the P3ESR and now that I own both wouldn’t sell either of them.

Reactions: rockmeister

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
He feels the same at present
There is some integrity and heritage there that feels right. Silly to let those things matter, but I just know that, a year down the live, something would be nagging if I don't get the old psyche bit right...sod the sound, feel the saved pound
AND look at the heritage!
What's not to like???
:)

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Amphion is a great speaker but very different to the P3ESR. We’ll worth a listen but given the OPs preferences I have a feeling that he will end up with the Falcon kit.

There again I never thought that I would own ATCs so I am also going to recommend the ATC SCM11. It has a rolled off treble like the P3ESR but a flatter midrange. I also own the P3ESR and now that I own both wouldn’t sell either of them.
Hi Dom
When will you demo the scm19?

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why would I demo them?
cause they are good- they take all the good of scm11 but add more - i had 11s also but really impressed with the 19s
I loved my 11s also and wish i still had them

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
cause they are good- they take all the good of scm11 but add more - i had 11s also but really impressed with the 19s
I loved my 11s also and wish i still had them
I chose the SCM11 in preference to the SCM19 after demoing them both. The SCM11 is better for my room than the SCM19.

Reactions: Bokke

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online