Which USB interface?

C

Crazytrain

I need a USB to optical interface to feed into a bushmaster MK2 dac and the Behringer UCA-202 was recommended on another thread ( and at a very good price at the mo at £23.) I've also seen the MF V-link for £80. Is it worth spending the extra on the v-link? I'll only be using it for the USB > optical > Dac.

Cheers.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
These do a good job Paul & are cheap as feck. :^

.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delock-USB-Sound-SPDIF-Adapter/dp/B0084CGO88/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382698313&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=delock+usb+to+spdif+converter.

41TWzsARCrL._SX385_.jpg

They're also capable of handling up to 24bit/96khz, which the Behringer isn't. :nup: Should also give you decent galvanic isolation twixt pooter & DAC by dint of using toslink optical. £11-37 delivered seems pretty painless. I have one in my spares drawer & can attest it seems to work very well. It also has Can-Amp functionality w H/W vol controls, although I haven't tested this as yet, as I have dedicated full size can-amps in both systems.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeah can't go wrong really Paul.

Worth being aware that the Toslink O/P is on a combined analogue stereo/SPdif optical 3.5mm mini jack output. So if you don't already have a suitable lead/adapter, get/order one before the Delock converter arrives & save yerself t' ballache of having to go out & find one. :^

Quite often these are also bundled with cheap Toslink leads.

Here's a link to some. >> .http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=3.5mm%20digital%20toslink%20adaptor.

I have actually used my Delock in the second system into my Audio-gd NFB 12.1 DAC/Pre/Can-amp & the SQ is v good & I've tested it at sampling rates of up to 24bit/96khz. It seems to sound even Stephens with the USB input on the NFB 12.1, fed from my Syno DS213 NAS. :stereo:

C

Crazytrain

Yeah can't go wrong really Paul.Worth being aware that the Toslink O/P is on a combined analogue stereo/SPdif optical 3.5mm mini jack output. So if you don't already have a suitable lead/adapter, get/order one before the Delock converter arrives & save yerself t' ballache of having to go out & find one. :^

Quite often these are also bundled with cheap Toslink leads.

Here's a link to some. >> .http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=3.5mm%20digital%20toslink%20adaptor.

I have actually used my Delock in the second system into my Audio-gd NFB 12.1 DAC/Pre/Can-amp & the SQ is v good & I've tested it at sampling rates of up to 24bit/96khz. It seems to sound even Stephens with the USB input on the NFB 12.1, fed from my Syno DS213 NAS. :stereo:
Good to know it's a decent performer Chris for a bargain price. It's nice when things just do what they're supposed to do with no trade off. I think i have an adaptor knocking about in my spares draw. :)

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
May all visual-aural joy/other sensory perceptions reach creatures suitably.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And I won't even mention my USB3 stuff.
USB3 connectivity has yet to be adopted by audio devices/hardware mfrs for DACs, interfaces etc in any meaningful way Charlie. I guess there may be some about or soon to be rolled out perhaps. :? However given the need for new drivers etc & current standards being broadly accepted I'd be surprised at anything changing soon.

USB 2 & class 2 USB Audio is increasingly more common & many older USB audio devices will be class 1 USB, but all of these tend to use the standard usage full size USB A/B or mini/micro connectors. I do have a fair few USB3 capable devices including my Lappy, some HD's & my Syno NAS, but the only ones that feature the newest type of USB3 connector are the hard drives & no audio devices as yet.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That IS really good to know - I have already been flummoxed occasionally by my USB3 different-device connector plug-things ...

Thanks.

I shall avoid as long as poss. getting any more USB3 thingies, until analogue has disappeared.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaredkillian

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Staff online