Which Vintage turntable?

Parmley

Wammer
New Wammer
May 11, 2013
Hello all,

This is my first post, so please be kind.

Although I am currently happy with my Pro-ject Genie turntable with 2M RED I would at some point like to get a more traditional looking deck. Something with character.

I would ideally like to stay around the <£250 mark, used or new. Likely used. Wood being the main feature I guess, though not essential. 1970's would be great but I don't mind going newer.

Is there anything that could match the sound quality of the Genie? Thorens do make a new turntable which is rather traditional but it's £650. Would a B&O turntable be a step down?

My current set up:

Separo P88i valve amplifier (KT88's) 50W

Project MM phono stage

1970's Goodmans Magnum K2 speakers

Pro-ject Genie 2M RED (current model)

Any links to current things for sale would be much appreciated.

Regards

Jonathan

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome to the 'Wam. Interesting classic loudspeakers. Haven't heard those for many a year!

Turntables with character:-

Ariston RD11 if you want something that looks traditional, or the RD40 if you want something that's a talking point.

The classic Garrard 401, but you would be lucky to find one in budget. Pink Triangle, you might find in budfgert, but the pink lid may need repairing or replacing, Acoustic Research Legend should come in on budget as would a Thorens TD150 or TD160.

Good luck with the search.

surayne

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A Lenco might do the trick - an L75 would be well within budget, stick it in a plinth of your choosing (or make one to suit) and add an arm to suit your budget.

Heybrook TT2s go for reasonable prices these days and are great value.

goomer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 22, 2007
Suffolk
£100 - £150 will get you a nice Thorens TD-150 mkII with the golf ball shaped counterweighted, Thorens TP-13 arm. Put in a decent moving magnet cartridge and that is a lovely sounding, classic looking turntable which is easy to maintain/service and live with.

Borats Baby

Wammer
Wammer
May 2, 2006
Warrington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You may get one of the Project RPM series with that money. I've only heard the the RPM5 I think it was, but that is a good deck, looks good too.

I keep thinking about changing my 1-Xpression for one of the RPM series as I really like them.

naxos10

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 8, 2009
Staffordshire
AKA
Alan
There are possibilities from Thorens TD160?, Rega 2/3, Systemdek (various models), Ariston (various models)Linn Basik to name but a few. Hhave a look at the classifieds to give you a clue on product and prices but you will need to put in a few posts in order to purchase.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My vote would be;

Ariston RD11S

Logic DM101 - by far the best TT

Heybrook TT2

Manticore Mantra

Linn Axis

Systemdek III

Systemdek IIS (if you like the biscuit tin look), so much better than the Ariston RD40.

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
If you don't mind a bit of DIY, lenco's are great. You can play jazz with the design, stick a linn or rega arm on, really easy to work with. I've, got loads hangin around, for when I feel like making something....

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Parmley, premier table from the period you are looking at is the Thorens TD125. You should be able to get one with Thorens arm and factory plinth for your budget. Classic combination was an SME 3009 II and Shure V15 cartridge. Assembling all of that might run to around 500.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Absolute agreement from me on the TD125 if you're lookin at any Thorens deck. Crazy value on the used market for what was a true high end deck back in the day.

divedeepdog

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
notts/derby
AKA
mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
+ 1 for the Lenco, opens a big window for upgraditus, but even standard ones are musical, and listenable with basic care and servicing.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are possibilities from Thorens TD160?, Rega 2/3, Systemdek (various models), Ariston (various models)Linn Basik to name but a few. Hhave a look at the classifieds to give you a clue on product and prices but you will need to put in a few posts in order to purchase.
Nope. You can fill your boots as soon as you register. 50 posts or subscription to sell :^

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was looking at Stuart's Walker last night. What a simple & elegant design that was. A well executed suspension, a very nice bearing, and a platter made from Tufnol. Indeed I guess the platter pre-dated Pink Triangle's use of acrylic, although Arthur still somehow inexplicably managed to get a patent on the use of such materials.

If memory serves they were also a lovely sounding deck yet this one hadn't sold for £70. I guess too few people have heard or seen one.

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, the Walker CJ55 was a great deck, I regretted selling mine many years ago.

Well worth looking at.

andreweast

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 17, 2009
London (SE)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been astounded by how good a tweaked Lenco can sound. A stock one is quite bread and butter but still enjoyable.

If you can stretch your budget I have a spare 401 (probably not a good option though because you'll need to find a plinth).

wolf larson

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Epsom, Surrey
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Pink triangle lpt is more fuss free than suspended ones, and sound great on a solid platform. Heybrook tt2 is a different beast that I've always thought were underrated. Both will sound grrrreat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles