Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was wondering who you think came along and just took music by the scruff and forced it onto a new direction? Those great influential artistes or bands from history? (I'm not including classical cos I know little about it, but feel free...)

My list in vaguely chronological order is...

Glen Miller

Louis Armstrong

Elvis

Dylan

The Beatles

Love

Zepplin

Roxy Music

Sex pistols.......

:Not Sure::Not Sure:

G

chaka demus and pliers.
smile.png

P

purplepleaser

chezi61 wrote:

New York Dolls.Funkadelic.

Happy Mondays/The Hacienda/Madchester.

and very soon.........Klaxons and Shit Disco etc
biggrin.png

chezi.
Klaxons for sure.

Good call Chezi;-)

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Velvet Underground - Someone once said that only 200 people bought their first album on its release.... but everyone of them starteda band.

The Doors

Bowie... early 70s stuff was an inspiration at the time and kicked off new romantics 10 years later

Not sure about Led Zeppelin - much as I love them I don't think they changed music at the time. Its more the case that they represent the summit, the absolute zenith, of a particular genre and were its greatest and most successful exponents. They maybe had a bigger influence a decade after demise in early 90s with grunge rock.

Sex Pistols - were they really influential at all or are they just the guys who managed to steal the credit for Punk Rock?

Bruce Springsteen - made serious Rock'n'Roll fun again. Shame he went off the boil in 1980s.

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
purplepleaser wrote:

Klaxons for sure.Good call Chezi;-)
Lee , have you got the V/A ; Digital Penetration album yet????

It's gonna have to be spinning here pretty soon , I got Shit Disco's I know Kung Fu e.p , which is pretty bloody good.

Bring on the "NEW RAVE".:)about time music got a kick in the arse.

chezi.

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bach

Beethoven (3rd symphony)

Jerry Roll Morton

Robert Johnson - invented electric guitar based blues which informed the black radio stations which led to rock 'n' roll.

P

purplepleaser

chezi61 wrote:

purplepleaser wrote:
Klaxons for sure.Good call Chezi;-)
Lee , have you got the V/A ; Digital Penetration album yet????

It's gonna have to be spinning here pretty soon , I got I know Kung Fu e.p , which is pretty bloody good.

Bring on the "NEW RAVE".:)about time music got a kick in the arse.

chezi.
I have just ordered it:cool:

Lee

biggrin.png

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ray Charles, and in his wake likes of Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Joe Turner.

And Roy Orbison. And of course James Brown.

Further anything (else) fromSun label,Motown, Stax, Atlantic and other Soul Labels in the 50's and 60's and 70's

60's:Dylan, Beatles, Beach Boys, Who, Stones, Kinks, The Band, VU, Stooges.

70's: Stevie Wonder,Bowie, Bob Marley

80's: Prince, U2

90's: Radiohead

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would say the Ramones were more influential to punk than the Pistols ?

Also Wagner - broke a lot of rules and changed how modern music is.

Jazz - Charlie Parker, John Cotrane are both much imitated and very influential.

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At the top (in rock and pop), we would have Elvis and Dylan and the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. We can safely say that music would have been a bit different without any of these.

Other very original artists not mentioned so far such as Can and Captain Beefheart were influential, though not on the mainstream.

You could argue that Black Sabbath invented a new form of music. So they must get somedecent points.

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Elvis was a (great) performer, butnevera composer, so it's impossilbe that any (later) musician could have been influenced by the material he never created.

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
rockmeister wrote:

I was wondering who you think came along and just took music by the scruff and forced it onto a new direction? Those great influential artistes or bands from history? (I'm not including classical cos I know little about it, but feel free...)My list in vaguely chronological order is...

Glen Miller

Louis Armstrong

Elvis

Dylan

The Beatles

Love

Zepplin

Roxy Music

Sex pistols.......

:Not Sure::Not Sure:
None of those listed above - they're all variations on a basic theme, jazz and its offspring (via the blues) rock/pop. Jazz/rock has contributed precisely nothing to musical direction - the vanguard has always been so-called classical composers:Some of the real revolutionaries in the history of music were:

Claudio Monteverdi - his revolutionary 1610 Vespers marks a great watershed between Renaissance and Baroque. A stunning achievement.

J.S. Bach - for his championing of the tempered musical scale (the so-called "Well-Tempered Clavier" was written to show off the benefits of the form). It made it possible to transpose music from one instrument to another:

Ludwig van Beethoven - for rewriting the rules and giving us Romantic music, which led to Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Mahler and the musical language we use to this day - just about every film score is essentially Romantic and the language of all that jazz/rock derives directly from it. Beethoven was also the first to conceive of the musician as artist rather than craftsman. "Music," he said, "should strike fire from a man's soul." His final quartets (whitten while completely deaf) were so far ahead of their time that the world had to wait for the 20th century and Schönberg for advancement.

Against giants such as these, jazz/rock musicians have just fiddled with the fine details.

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
John Lennon after George Martin had him listening to a classical piece: "Very nice but i forgot how it started". That is the (or mine)problemwith classical music: no matter how hard you try, there's no such thing as structure that can be identified.

Canimagine thatanyonewho tried hardercan appreciate this repertoire but the ideathatthereal inventors lived3 or 4 centuriesback and all others are only playingvariant games, is as valid and rationalas any otherreligious dedication.Sheer personal, certainly not historical.

Contrary to my view on rap crap, which is an everlasting truth.

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Given that we are ignoring classical:(, but if we aren't, then how can I argue with Tones? Anyway:

Velvets (do I need to explain?????);

Dylan (made people take lyrics seriously);

Hendrix (electric guitar comes of age);

Kraftwerk/Neu!/Tangerine Dream et alia -"krautrock" - without whom NO electronic music;

New York Dolls/Stooges/MC5 (put the surly, snarly attitude back into rock);

FZ & The Mothers (brought satire into rock, which is generally far too po-faced);

New Order (fusing dance & rock);

Miles Davis (too many reasons....).

Boxer

PS I agree with the suggestion of Leo Fender, without whom... errrr....what is there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles