Whoever said vinyl was better than CD - was right!

cefnlad

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
North Wales
AKA
Peter
Well, was toying with the idea of tweaking my Planet (thanks Mr Coherent for the suggestions), but spotted an RPM5 - haven't looked at TTs for a long time, and it got me thinking. Cutting a long story short and after buying her indoors a Steepletone from Tony at N&S, I started thinking about replacing my ageing Thorens 150 and ended up with an RPM6.1SB (thanks Tony).

Buying blind (yes I know.....) I wasn't actually sure how much of an improvement I would get - but having spent an evening listening (and at low level too) to some oldies (Camel, Supertramp etc) I have to say I seem to be geting more detail/dynamics out of the vinyl than my CDs. So any suggestions for decent sources ofvinyl online?

Peter

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This thread will help:

http://hifiwigwam.com/forum4/6090.html

I would say there are pros and cons of both major formats. I wouldn't say I get more detail from vinyl but a better soundstage and more realism in how instruments actually sound. There are drawbacks too such as pops and crackles, constant tweaking or checking of TT settings, levelling, support etc etc, but these are worth the effort in the long run. I'm glad you have rediscovered the black stuff but CD has improved in leaps and bounds over the past ten years or so.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cefnlad,

Nice one, good to see you have seen (heard ?) the light. The Project decks are cracking value for money and have improved lats over the last few years to the point where ther represent really good vfm. I'm not surprised that you are enjoying it more than cd - simlpy cos it's better
biggrin.png

I don't believe cd has really moved on that much in the 10 years like most have said. The introduction of upsampling has taken the edge of but given the music a false processed feel and this seems to be the fashion nowadays. May be over the £3k mark then I'd agree.

Having listened to MiB's releatively old Victor cd player I have to say I'm not convinced cd has moved on that much, if at all, except for the serious money players.

I still think vinyl represents the best sound per pound ratio aout there. I've even come to be able to ignore pops and crackles, unless really bad, as the music still seems to flow and sound better.

Enjoy spinning the black stuff.

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The pops and crackles are the thing often sited as the big "drawback" to vinyl in the debate between black discs and silver ones, but you have to realise they are hi-fidelity cracks and pops being amplified by your superb amp and transduced by your lovely speakers.

Seriously, I have very few records in my collection that are unplayabe due to clicks etc.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At least records play on any deck with an arm and a stylus. I have CDs now that won't play at all on my computer (you don't have copy protection software on vinyl but I appreciate the need for it to stop piracy), jump on the in-car player and skip tracks on the Denon.

CD is more convenient though, I see it in a similar way to tape, a versatile storage medium. Vinyl is the real thing when it comes to serious listening. I mentioned the pops and crackles because someone was put off the format recently and cited this as one of the reasons. It doesn't bother me really as they are usually only heard on the run-in and inbetween tracks.

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
turnitup! wrote:

CD is more convenient though, I see it in a similar way to tape, a versatile storage medium. Vinyl is the real thing when it comes to serious listening.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
cefnlad wrote:

I have to say I seem to be geting more detail/dynamics out of the vinyl than my CDs. So any suggestions for decent sources ofvinyl online?
Well, you could improve your CD playback system!

I've tried 4 times now to get back into vinyl, each time ends in terrible frustration at the inevitable surface noise, and (horror of horrors) ticks 'n skips.
cry_smile.gif.e6f167d6925baafe229b8957ba771316.gif
I know of NOTHING more intrusive and mood-shattering when I'm "groovin'2 mah moozik".

I've promised myself NOT toEVER try vinyl again. It's just too hard on my blood pressure.

Give megood CD playback any time!
wink.gif.25d7e4815f6a2fee62f4117deebb27e0.gif

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
JANDL100 wrote:

cefnlad wrote:
I have to say I seem to be geting more detail/dynamics out of the vinyl than my CDs. So any suggestions for decent sources ofvinyl online?

I've tried 4 times now to get back into vinyl, each time ends in terrible frustration at the inevitable surface noise, and (horror of horrors) ticks 'n skips.
cry_smile.gif.e6f167d6925baafe229b8957ba771316.gif
I know of NOTHING more intrusive and mood-shattering when I'm "groovin'2 mah moozik".

I've promised myself NOT toEVER try vinyl again. It's just too hard on my blood pressure.

For the umpteenth time its not the records fault if its been mis-used and the stylus not changed when necessary.

Yes at times your going to get the occasional tic,unfortunately,even on a record in good nick,but its worth it for superior sound quality,some are noise free.

If your experience is as stated,then one must presume the records were knackered and cheap when purchased,given or whatever.

Buy some LP's in good nick and try again,its worth it.

Look at those on hear that prefer vinyl,spend loads on tt's,cartridge,phono stages etc.,we don't do it for the hell of it.

Mark LJ

Wammer
Wammer
May 4, 2006
Up North. Cold, Wet
Its the vinyl side that got me hooked back into hifi. Got a little Project Debut SB a couple of years ago to play some old records before I flogged them. I've ended up keeping all my old records, changing my whole system twice in no time at all and I can't walk past a charity shop or a car boot sale without buying some vinyl. each record gets a good clean and haven't really had any problems with clicks, pops etc.

The missus has even got hooked - if anyone comes round it always ends with a few of the old 70/80's vinyl coming out.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree with what Ray says, good clean records aren't a problem. Ok some 2nd hand owns can be a bit noisey but this is more likely down to previous owners playing them with too much vtf and damaging the vinyl.

All my new ones a silent and very few have pops and crackles.

M

Mr Coherent

I'll chip in with Tone's 2p worth

Having never owned a deck until 2 years ago, I can be let off for not having to go through thrauma of owing a LP12/Thorens et al.

Having heard a large number of TT's some set up badly others festidiously cosetted by the owners at money no expense.

I can genuienly say, I prefer CD, HOWEVER the vinyl does have that certain something on certain records that just cannot be replicated EXCEPT by the analogue tape masters.

My deck (which has been also extensively modified as well) is close in value to the Esoteric X-01 when you factor in the arm/cart/phono and trick motor/table it sits on etc.

I find the Well tempered one of the most musical involving sources I have heard to date PERIOD. Note the best deck, but the most musical involving.

However I find the Cd more 'real' in the being there terms, greater dynamics and quieter noise floor.

The Vinyl sounds better to my ears on a lot of the eraly 70's rock I love.

So for me its a 60/40 split in favour of the CD.

However vinyl is a cracking sound when done right.
smile.png

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Emma Royd wrote:

JANDL100 wrote:
cefnlad wrote:

For the umpteenth time its not the records fault if its been mis-used and the stylus not changed when necessary.

Look at those on hear that prefer vinyl,spend loads on tt's,cartridge,phono stages etc.,we don't do it for the hell of it.
Yup, that's fine. I respect your views and those who are seriously into their vinyl.I just don't happen tofind that your views are applicable to my situation, that's all. No harm done - I'm not about to send some hoodies around to duff up your TT.

I know what good TT kit is about - I used to have a Voyd Point 5, silver-rewired SME 5 arm with Dynavector XX1L mc cartridge. About £9ks worth of TT kit I think. Bloody good stuff.

As I said, give me good CD replay any time. Not for you? That's just fine.
hug.gif.6c8b62337c3c255c222bc063903420ae.gif

(Or is this turning into a Pink Fish forum type of thread, where anyone disagreeing with the party line is given a hard time?)
smack.gif.67a6c7204929f2d6a3282863ab29d146.gif

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
JANDL100 wrote:

As I said, give me good CD replay any time. Not for you? That's just fine.
hug.gif.6c8b62337c3c255c222bc063903420ae.gif

(Or is this turning into a Pink Fish forum type of thread, where anyone disagreeing with the party line is given a hard time?)
smack.gif.67a6c7204929f2d6a3282863ab29d146.gif
Come on outside now
22.gif.36c040d5abb2096c10af791e63c73da8.gif

Thankfully we inside the tent are happy go lucky bunch with total respect for other's opinions
biggrin.png

I myself still have more cds than records having come to vinyl much later in life. However, I can see why someone would prefer cd to vinyl.

Neither is wrong, as long as you enjoy music that's all that counts
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I disagree with the title of this thread- i enjoyBOTH cd and vinyl in equal measure.

Neither is perfect imo and thats why i listen to both formats.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Papa Lazarou wrote:

I disagree with the title of this thread- i enjoyBOTH cd and vinyl in equal measure.Neither is perfect imo and thats why i listen to both formats.
Given the choice between the same album on cd or vinyl what would go for though - assuming you HAD to choose ?

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Papa Lazarou wrote:

I disagree with the title of this thread- i enjoyBOTH cd and vinyl in equal measure.Neither is perfect imo and thats why i listen to both formats.
Absolutely and = both can be excellent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hczxynbvtr