Why do some recordings hold up to being played at higher volumes better than others?

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
Not sure what the best section is for this...

It seems to me that some recording cope better than others at being cranked up :p Some end up sounding harsh and nasty whereas others hold it together....why?

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
Neil - surely it will be a combination of factors. If the recording is well-mastered, and not harsh at the top end then it will stand playing at higher volumes. If not then it will get progressively more strident the louder it gets.

It will also depend on the the type of music, and how much upper middle and treble energy there is present in the original performance.

What I mean (in the extreme) is Val Doonican at moderate levels is bland inoffensive rubbish. At high volumes it is loud bland inoffensive rubbish.

OTOH, Andre Rieu, even at low volumes, is screechy shite.

:^

adamdea

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2011
Is the question in the OP partly down to the principle that every recording has a naturally correct volume to play it (someone famous said that). I'm not entirely sure but I think this will be the volume at which the "image" you have of the instruments represents the distance at which they will be as loud in real life as the level at which you are playing

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
a) Your ears etc need PROPERLY cleaning/maintaining.

b) GIGO. Usually, digital recordings are not as fantastic as good analogue - if your room etc/installation/equipment can take it, 123db can be super. Not through ear-buds ...

c) Great sounds are great. Music you like is to you music.

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
a) Your ears etc need PROPERLY cleaning/maintaining.b) GIGO. Usually, digital recordings are not as fantastic as good analogue - if your room etc/installation/equipment can take it, 123db can be super. Not through ear-buds ...

Lock this thread. Chumpy's nailed it.

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
a) Your ears etc need PROPERLY cleaning/maintaining.b) GIGO. Usually, digital recordings are not as fantastic as good analogue - if your room etc/installation/equipment can take it, 123db can be super. Not through ear-buds ...

I can't compete with wisdom like this.

I'm off out.

:^

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would post about compression and dynamic range, but, ultimately, music you like is to you music.

Music you like is to you music. Yes?

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I remember Kate Bush 'Running up that hill' and J Geils' 'River Blindness' could stand some volume via Klipschorns.....ah, the days of thick walls!

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil

Can your room etc/installation/equipment handle 123db?

Can you share your PROPER ear maintenance routine please?

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes. Although I do not often '123db', it is there in my cheap fine well-installed-maintained equipment (on stone floor) if the dynamics of the recording/listeners' moods demand it ...

No - my proper ear maintenance (after several years ago going to have lovely practice-nurses syringe me warmly) includes every few days after hair-shampoo/lug-soaking AGAINST ALL ADVICE carefully removing in-ear crud with shaped metal 'paper'-clip ...

MrSammy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 25, 2009
Wirral & London,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you are listening to music at 123db regularly then you ears will produce more crud to protect themselves.

There has been plenty of research that shows that the comprehension of relative frequencies is different depending on the level of playback. In other words, if you turn the volume up then the human brain thinks the level of increase is different across the frequency spectrum when it is in fact equal.

That means that if you are used to music at a certain level and you hear it louder or more quietly it appears to be more different than it should be. I have always found there is a level where music suddenly seems to gel and sound a lot better. Increasing the volume from this point doesn't really improve it.

It would be interesting to see the frequency spectrum of the music you dislike at loud volumes and see if there is a pattern. I also agree with the other posts about compression. You are much more likely to run into clipping as well.

leenorris78

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 1, 2009
London - SE23 -HOP
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
That means that if you are used to music at a certain level and you hear it louder or more quietly it appears to be more different than it should be. I have always found there is a level where music suddenly seems to gel and sound a lot better. Increasing the volume from this point doesn't really improve it.

It would be interesting to see the frequency spectrum of the music you dislike at loud volumes and see if there is a pattern. I also agree with the other posts about compression. You are much more likely to run into clipping as well.
I have experienced this too.

I feel it may be something to do with the room and its resonant frequency/amplitude, but this is only a guess.

leenorris78

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 1, 2009
London - SE23 -HOP
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Shit, just saw what section this is in. I can substantiate nothing. None. PLEASE DELETE POST!!!! I only have ears, no mikes or multimeters or anything like that.

Oh, I have scales for cooking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online