Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some useful contributions.
Not SETs obviously - they would run too hot - so push pull; and not American as they like to hide their valves.
Maybe a World Audio Design? The Art Audio was a good shout from Brook.

The wood facia requirement is a problem, but you could sit the selected amp on a lovely maple, or similar, wood platform. That would help isolate it from that big cabinet.

If I remember correctly the cabinet has doors. What about converting the RH door where the Vincent is, with a part or whole perspex replacement so the 'glowing bottles' are clearly visible? (You could cleverly leave a few discreet gaps in the design for cooling purposes.)

Jack NSM
The cabinet is not being touched !!!!
When we designed the unit the doors have a 4.5 mm gap along the top which you can’t see because of the overhang .. when we tested with the Vincent hybrid there was enough gap to keep the inside at a constant 60’C with the door shut

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Diane saw this …any good , it’s got meters !!!
Extreme caution advised Julian. It's a single-ended KT88. Ignoring any questions of quality and reliability, the suggestion of 18 watts per channel ain't going to happen in practice. You may be able to drag 18 watts out of a single KT88, but only if you're happy with ridiculous levels of distortion.

I wouldn't bet on more than 5 or 6 watts per channel before it starts to grate a touch, even assuming it's running with masses of negative feedback.

Unless you're looking at 845, 211 or GM70 valves or running incredibly efficient speakers (100dB and above), a single-ended amplifier is 'late at night very quiet' only.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you'd like to hear a PrimaLuna I'd be happy to pop round. Prologue 5 here, stupidly good. No idea whether it would work, only one way to find out.
This won't meet your aesthetic requirements in any way, but might give an idea of sonics.
I meant to add that this wasn't an attempt at a sale, it's going nowhere !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles