Wife & wooden floor?

dinkydave

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2009
Down South
AKA
Dave
Was told by the wife last night that she is sick of the carpet in the living room (where my HiFi is located) and that she want to get wooden flooring put in. In terms of my listening pleasure, is this sometime I should be happy about, or could it cause trouble with more surfaces for the music to bounce off? I know this is probably a case of 'all rooms are different' but in general, is this likely to improve or ruin things? NB. The room in question is pretty small (~4.5m square).

M

MJ.

In general, it's best avoided because of additional reflections and less absorption. You will likely notice a detrimental effect going from carpet to wood. Usually a much more lively, less controlled sound.

Can be tamed to a good degree with the addition of rugs or, maybe, a new carpet though :D

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It won't improve it.

Tell her that wooden floors are yesterdays fashion, proper wooden flooring is also quite expensive, (there is no actual wood in laminate)

Carpet is warmer, if she insists on a wooden floor you will need a large rug, maybe up to 4.5m square!

• Upvote
Reactions: dinkydave
S

scruffybitch

Arguments for the good lady

please dont install cheap tat laminate, it will be in landfill in a few years time. A good carpet however, or quality rugs, will last a lot longer and can be taken with you when you move. Wood floors look great till they get scratched, show every spec of dust/dirt, are slippery especially when mopped, its double housework.

You might gather Im not a great fan

• Upvote

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had carpet over concrete and put in a solid oak floor, glued down. For reflections, concrete and wood are similar, so now we have a large rug covering most of the wood. Persian or Indian are our preferred types, fortunately we both like similar styles.

I refused to have laminate or even floating wood; fortunately (or not, lots of work!) I could do it myself, even so it cost about £900, inc. glue. Our room is about 5 x 4 metres.

• Upvote

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
Can't you just say no? :? Just who wears the trousers in your household??

Actually, silly question wasn't it. . . . . . :sofa:

Alternatively - is she frightened of mice? Tell her it would encourage rodents.

dinkydave

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2009
Down South
AKA
Dave
Cheers for all the replies, looks like I am going to be trying to dissuade her then :cafe: . Not a big fan of wooden floors anyway; kept breaking remote controls / glasses when I drop them :doh: . Think I will try the; the kids are more grown up now, so they are less likely to mess up a new carpet lie first :whistle:

wizons

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 19, 2009
Bucks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Avoid wooden flooring at all costs, for the reasons given above. Stress also the additional cleaning required for wood floors. At least with carpets dust gets trapped in the pile and they're easy to hoover. With wooden flooring you will be forever hoovering/brushing.

Fritz the kat

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 4, 2013
Nigeria (FMR Prince)
AKA
Keith
Counterpoint.....Hardwood flooring generally commands more awe, and is more impressive than carpet. It is seen as being “high end” and “luxurious”, because it is a natural material, and its surface is unique to that particular installation. Depending on the type of wood chosen, and how it is finished, hardwood can command a sense of great power, and even prestige, when used in certain locations. :^

The fact that carpet can attract and hold dust and microorganisms can also have an effect on anyone working or living in the space; especially if they suffer from allergies. Every time you walk across the carpet millions of tiny particles can fly into the air. With hardwood, all you have to do is wipe or sweep the surface clean and you can see that it is free of those same potentially harmful particles. :geek:

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We had the downstairs floors done in American Oak, glued directly to the floor screed. It's been down now for about 15 years and it still looks fabulous. However, the room became very lively, so I covered one wall with Rockwool and put down a long-haired sheepskin rug 3m diameter on which my listening chair sits. The room now has a decently low and even RT60 but isn't too dead.

If I had a listening room separate from the house, I would have carpets, but also wall treatment and quadratic diffusers on the ceiling. As that's not to be, what I have works well enough, and really looks good.

S.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We had the downstairs floors done in American Oak, glued directly to the floor screed. It's been down now for about 15 years and it still looks fabulous. However, the room became very lively, so I covered one wall with Rockwool and put down a long-haired sheepskin rug 3m diameter on which my listening chair sits. The room now has a decently low and even RT60 but isn't too dead.If I had a listening room separate from the house, I would have carpets, but also wall treatment and quadratic diffusers on the ceiling. As that's not to be, what I have works well enough, and really looks good.

S.
Ah yes, I have also put in a lot of wall treatment, hidden behind fabric so it just looks like wall.

Purite Audio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2007
London, UK
AKA
Keith
We used 'engineered' tongue and groove flooring, so now the whole floor acts as a sound board, the resonance from the Genelecs ( without their room correction facility) is unbelievable!

Keith.

B

BD Audio

Lay the floor then tune the sound using cable lifters and different mains cables. Egg cups glued on the wall may also be your friend here.

mmar

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2008
North east
AKA
mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
compromise , tell her she can have the wood floor if you can have the padded walls and roof :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online