Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have not heard Arcs but as a friend has bought a pair expect I will get a listen when he gets back from holiday . No use for the OP but at least I will have an idea .

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some observations;

Are your 'speakers working properly? Something out of spec in the crossover? Damaged tweeter?

If you like the Proac style, then why not look at a different model from their range; perhaps one with a ribbon?

The Arc is a fine speaker, that I've had twice. Very studio like, accurate and revealing. Note that these speakers are now quite old. Whilst they are well made and well supported, if you ever need replacement drivers then they are costly. Remember; these were high end speakers in their day; parts prices etc reflect that. The speakers are now relatively inexpensive due to age only. They are also heavy, if that's a concern? It's quite likely, given their age, that many of the pairs available used will have been used by multiple owners, with varying degrees of care. Tread cautiously.
Good points above.
Hopefully going to take my 1SC's to Proac on wednesday for a check up and maybe a new pair of tweeters.
The Arcs in question are used and although they sounded fine in the shop I would need a home demo to be sure, and then there is the 'unknown' factor in a used speakers past life (lives). Although my Proacs were a used buy, they were from a wammer with a decent reputation so it didn't feel like the shot in the dark that these Arcs could be.

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What model are your ProAcs & how old are they.
Have u moved them recently or slotted in diff equipment with the spkrs staying in the same place ?
Response 1SC. Ive had them for 13 years and they were 2nd hand when I got them. Haven't moved for a good few years now, probably the last time I went to the Wam show with them in 2011! Had a new amp well over a year ago now, I think the loss of the high frequencies has been a gradual thing over the course of a few years so its not until fairly recently I noticed Neal Peart has felt pads on all his cymbals!

Reactions: garn63

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hopefully going to take my 1SC's to Proac on wednesday for a check up and maybe a new pair of tweeters.
(y). Great stuff. Hold fire until then. Have owned a few pairs of ProAcs. I might return to the Tab 10's but am currently using the D2's.
Hope it works out for you.

Reactions: ClassikFan

mbu

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 20, 2008
, ,
Had Arcs for 20 years now. Superb speakers. Sold Shahinian Arcs and SF Signums way back. Preferred the WB Arcs.
The signums didn't have the power handling or volume capability I needed back then. Signums or Proac 1scs were my first choice shortlist duo. Late 90s. £1200 vs £1750 at retail respectively then I think. Ended up with Signums but I heard Arcs later. A definite step up for me. For many years used with an Opus 21, Nac52, Dynavector Hx1.2 set up. Plus a Storm sub. Also slotted in Exposure 18 monos and Nap135s quite a few times.The 21 was replaced with a cds3 ( kept the Opus 21 though).Also found the Densen B330+ power amp was fantastic driving Arcs . So a wide range of amps used to great effect. And the Arcs suit my room no doubt. Not had them set up in the main system this year. Will do soon.
Great quality speakers that today at retail would cost a lot. £5000 ?, maybe a good bit more - certainly with the price of new speakers these days.

Last edited:

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Took my Proacs into the factory this morning for a check over.
Popped into town for a coffee whilst I eat and the guys called to say the speakers measure fine and there is nothing wrong.
Not sure whether that’s good or bad! Need to look elsewhere for my missing HF!

• Sad
Reactions: JANDL100

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Popped into town for a coffee whilst I eat and the guys called to say the speakers measure fine and there is nothing wrong.
Whilst you're there, is there any chance you could have a quick dem of newer models in their range, particularly those with a ribbon tweeter?

mbu

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 20, 2008
, ,
Got to say the Proac 1scs are lovely looking things. The veneer finishes, the translucent drivers with the copper phase plugs. Beautiful. An itch I never scratched. If a pair came up locally for a reasonable price I'd be sorely tempted to buy and try. As my LR stereo speakers are tied into a home cinema set up though I think they could struggle. Certainly not what they were designed for.

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Whilst you're there, is there any chance you could have a quick dem of newer models in their range, particularly those with a ribbon tweeter?
Yes, to demonsrtate my speakers health they A-B'd them with K1 ribbon standmounts. Mine compared very well considering.

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Got to say the Proac 1scs are lovely looking things. The veneer finishes, the translucent drivers with the copper phase plugs. Beautiful. An itch I never scratched. If a pair came up locally for a reasonable price I'd be sorely tempted to buy and try. As my LR stereo speakers are tied into a home cinema set up though I think they could struggle. Certainly not what they were designed for.
Indeed, one of the factors putting me off changing the 1sc's is how good they look. (y)

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Given that Proac these days speakers have a rising treble that’s a very interesting finding as you could be on a mission impossible. Can’t remember which model you have.

Edit just seen what you have but am not familiar with them. But if they compared well to the ribbons then it’s either your hearing or something else in your system maybe.

Last edited:

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Given that Proac these days speakers have a rising treble that’s a very interesting finding as you could be on a mission impossible. Can’t remember which model you have.

Edit just seen what you have but am not familiar with them. But if they compared well to the ribbons then it’s either your hearing or something else in your system maybe.
Maybe the rest of the system, yes. Going to look at the speaker connections on my amp nd see what happens when I disconnect my sub.

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So a conclusion has been reached.
I didn’t buy the Arcs I auditioned, there was something about them that made me wary - marks on the front baffle that had me wondering what/how/why! Could have easily been remedied with a sharpie pen but the question remained how did they get there.
Had my 1SC’s checked out at Proac who pronounced them as working perfectly, so armed with this info I went home and listened to the tracks I believed were lacking in top end and realised I was probably looking for something that was never on the recording in the first place. I have come to the conclusion the issue was just in my head so the good new is the Proacs are staying and I have treated myself to 2 sets of Gaia III isolation feet to take the place of the spikes under my B&W FS-700 stands.

Reactions: Tarzan and DomT

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hearing Arcs name reminds me of years ago when I visited papa lazarou in MK and he played Kraftwerk's Minimum Maximum to great effect. I believe they like a lot up 'em.

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hearing Arcs name reminds me of years ago when I visited papa lazarou in MK and he played Kraftwerk's Minimum Maximum to great effect. I believe they like a lot up 'em.
Yes it was Papa’s pair that I first heard, I remember meeting you at one of his bake-offs!

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So a conclusion has been reached.
I didn’t buy the Arcs I auditioned, there was something about them that made me wary - marks on the front baffle that had me wondering what/how/why! Could have easily been remedied with a sharpie pen but the question remained how did they get there.
Had my 1SC’s checked out at Proac who pronounced them as working perfectly, so armed with this info I went home and listened to the tracks I believed were lacking in top end and realised I was probably looking for something that was never on the recording in the first place. I have come to the conclusion the issue was just in my head so the good new is the Proacs are staying and I have treated myself to 2 sets of Gaia III isolation feet to take the place of the spikes under my B&W FS-700 stands.
Better really heavy stands will make a difference, Target R series.

Reactions: Tarzan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles