Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have my 401 wired this way, as recommended in the manual, but this means that the turntable is earthed to the amplifier using the arm earth cable. That's more or less OK if the amplifier is earthed, but with a double-insulated amplifier that means there's no safety earth on the turntable. Any electrician like to comment?

PS this isn't confined to the 401, my BD1and GL75 turntables are earthed the same way.

S

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have an earth on the chassis back to the mains plug, no earth from the arm, what is the point of an earth to the arm?
That makes a lot more sense. The point of earthing the arm is so that it acts as an electrostatic screen for the arm wiring, and that the arm is at the same potential as the amplifier's audio ground. In my view, the turntable should be earthed to mains safety earth, and the arm earthed to the amplifier, and no connection made between the arm metalwork and the turntable, but that's not how most turntables are earthed. Wonder why.

S

divedeepdog

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
notts/derby
AKA
mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That makes a lot more sense. The point of earthing the arm is so that it acts as an electrostatic screen for the arm wiring, and that the arm is at the same potential as the amplifier's audio ground. In my view, the turntable should be earthed to mains safety earth, and the arm earthed to the amplifier, and no connection made between the arm metalwork and the turntable, but that's not how most turntables are earthed. Wonder why.S
+2, 3 core mains lead, motor earthed :^

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k23435