Won the Lottery And Could Choose Any Two Cars?

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:(...better change the name then to olgitgivingup:)
Nah, I hung up my keys 4 years back. fast bikes and 72 yr old reaction times are not that clever a mix when you are, to boot, a loon. But I kept the kit 'in case'. I'm NOT buying an 'old' triumph or an enfield tho, unless to drive off a cliff with it on fire, aged 80.
Osteo Arthritis is the main reason for selling that lovely machine...she's been Sorned for nearly 3 years..shame to leave her unused in the garage.Had a Viffer previous to the Duke and fitted bar risers which helped some...made the fatal error of going for a rest run on the Diavel! 😀.
With all the cameras around static/mobile it's less fun than it used to be...Bee
n on two wheels since mid 70's and things ain't wot they used to be...today's drivers are still NOT taught to look for two wheeled vehicles ...looking but not seeing is fatal.
Bike went to a really nice chap who's always wanted a Diavel,being quite local helped.

I've spent a fair bit upgrading my setup and now have the time to enjoy it! 😀

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One of those black Citroën 11s or Traction. And an Austin Healey. Like Henry Palfrey, so I can trick Raymond Delauney (Terry-Thomas) into taking me to the tennis 'friendly' in his souped-up open-top Aston Martin DB3, which will get wrecked in the process.
Terry Thomas's last car, a 1970s Jag XJ 3.4 is currently for sale. Been unused for many a year. I love that it has a BA Concorde sticker in the window.

Reactions: Le Baron

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Citroen SM is one of my favourite ever cars. But I've never seen a RHD one, do they exist? I'd have a Series 1 Jensen FF too, love the engineering and rarity.
Normans of Westminster converted several to RHD My first car in 1966 was a many hand Citroen ID Safari made in Slough (metal roof) I also owned a DS21 Pallas RHD also steel roof. Mums wheel chair fitted in their boots her steel and inch thick wood Tansad wheel chair weighed over 100 lbs

I used Normans for spares I used to earn a few quid rebuilding Citroen engines in the car as they were wet linner'ed tricky but doable.
Citroen took engine out 24 hours labour then another 12 hours plus parts.

French built Citroens had glass fibre roofs.

I used to go to school in the very first CV8, a school friend's dad was the chauffer for the boss of Jensen motors, an uncle had a Jensen Interceptor 7.2 ltr pretty quick never driven an FF more than a few yards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carrington

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wasn't so reliable last time I was inside the coffin boxes.:ROFLMAO:
My dad bought one of these as a village runaround (most of the time we rode on a tractor!). It was a very good car. In fact I went with him in it on a drive to Wales, for something or other I can't remember. I'd take one over any modern car. You can repair it yourself cheaply and it doesn't have a vague computer that needs to be 'reset' for £750.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have very little interest in cars but I have a good friend who is crazy about Lancias. He can rebuild the engines, gearboxes etc and he has pals with Lancias who are always rebuilding them. I was unaware of the Lancia cult, but owners are very loyal to the marque.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My dad bought one of these as a village runaround (most of the time we rode on a tractor!). It was a very good car. In fact I went with him in it on a drive to Wales, for something or other I can't remember. I'd take one over any modern car. You can repair it yourself cheaply and it doesn't have a vague computer that needs to be 'reset' for £750.
Yes, I am of the same opinion, in I'd sooner have a car that goes on with minimum servicing or attention. I have a Skoda Octavia ambiente TDI, 266.000 on the clock. It sits on my drive most of the time and only does short journeys nowadays. I bought it it 2010 with 52.000 on the clock and ran it as a taxi until 2013.
I would say it's the best car I have ever had, in terms of longevity, reliability , comfort and minimum servicing needs.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have very little interest in cars but...
A Citroen SM for long trips in style.
A nice motorhome.
A rugged and reliable SUV for days out with the dogs.

Reactions: Paulssurround

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The SUV bit. Rugged and reliable is 'yeah!' SUV is boo!

But I suppose it's off-road? It's only on-road that they cause me bother.
I have never held an interest in cars but love trips out with the dogs so something that can take you almost anywhere is the only reason I would want one.

Andy Stephenson

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 8, 2022
North East England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you win the lottery, the best mechanics are out there!
I suppose I could run to a lovely vintage Merc for that reason.

1658591703274.png
Don't get me wrong, the Citroen's nice, just not noted for reliability. Hence the need for an additional method of transport to your local food supplier. That's why one of my choices would be the Land Rover, get you where you need to be in ANY weather and any terrain!

Reactions: oldius

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online